Newbie, green water & pinholes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Featherless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Newbie, green water & pinholes

So here's another newbie. Been lurking the forum for some time, learning so much about macro and micronutrients, EI, etc... but now I could really use some advice.

I have a low tech planted 29g with two goldies, plants are mostly anubias with a couple of crypts, and a small java fern. The thing has a single 25W tube + reflector, CO2 kindly provided by 2 bottles of gel with yeast, all the anubias pearling although at different rates.

Some weeks ago (before CO2) holes started appearing in the leaves, and the edge of the leaves became wrinkled. Thinking it might be a potassium deficiency, I started dosing some small amounts of Tetra FloraPride daily.

However, everytime I do that, my water becomes green, though not so much you cannot see through the tank. The more fert, the greener the water.

And it hasn't stopped the holes from getting bigger, or made the edges straight again. To top it all, a new a. heterophylla that I put in some days ago started developing holes and the other flaws; I squirted more FloraPride but no success.

Now if someone could help me figuring out what's going on here, I would greatly appreciate that!
Featherless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Cheesehead Cory
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm out of my element trying to help someone with a CO2 enriched tank, but since nobody else has chimed in:

What's your dosing schedule with that FloraPride? Accroding to the Fertilator, it takes about 70 ml to get you to the 20 ppm recommended for EI. I'd try keeping it at that EI level for a month and see if it improves. With so little light, it's probably more than you need, but shouldn't hurt and should tell you if K deficiency is your problem.

If that doesn't work, I'd try adding more light. Not sure if insufficient light would cause pinholes, but you're definitely on the LOW end of low light (I suspect that's why nobody else has chimed in. Doubt there's many with experience doing C02 + extreme low light). Again, this is newb helping newb, so this advice may not be worth the time you spent reading it.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Featherless
Algae Grower

Thank you for replying, every little bit of help is welcome!

I am looking into overdriving the tube and/or adding more lamps but I thought it would have been wiser to sort this thing out early on.

The tank is still pretty new as it's been populated less than 2 months ago after the obligatory fishless cycling. I was advised against adding any fert during the first weeks as the plants would not take up any nutrient.

No matter the low light, plants are actually growing and putting out a good amount of new roots, especially the two anubias nana which would also put out a new leaf from time to time. That's why I started dosing 0.8 ml daily.

This number come from the recommended dosage for FP, which is IIRC 10 ml every 20L (5g) first time and then 5 ml/20L every month --> hence the daily 0.8 ml.

Believe it or not, it would become slightly green even even then, although FloraPride is, as you've already noticed, so much close to glorified water that one would feel entitled to wonder how it could possibly make any difference.

I experimented with 0.8-0.2 ml daily but new holes were appearing, then I tried squirting in as much as 15 ml of FP, and water got even more green - I wonder how it would like after pouring a massive 70 ml

Probably there's some imbalance in the nutrients, is it worth trying a switch to the Seachem line?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Cheesehead Cory
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherless View Post
glorified water
LOL

I think all the aquarium store bought liquid macros are pretty lean, which also makes them pretty expensive for the amount of nutrients you get. Here's the site I used to come up with the 70 ml of FloraPride calculation. It has info on Seachem and other ferts as well.
http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html

I would try to get some dry macros from a hydroponics store, and skip the store bought bottles, except maybe for your micro-nutrients.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Featherless
Algae Grower

I'd buy the powders any time if I could, but it's not so easy on this side of the Atlantic