BBA and Green Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
KengFishTank

PTrader: (0/0%)

BBA and Green Algae

Hi everyone,

I am battling an outbreak of (i think) black beard algae and green algae. After reading online articles and forum posts, I still think I should post here as I would like a customised solution. Would appreciate if anybody give me some advice on how to cleanse the tank and also treat root cause! My setup is below, thank you!

Tank size: 60 gallons. 120 cm x 45 cm x 45 cm.

Lighting: 1 x Arcadia T5 Original Tropical Plant Pro (pink light), 6 hours daily

Substrate and fert: Seachem Flourite Original, about 3cm deep. Seachem flourish tabs distributed evenly and buried in substrate. No liquid fert. No CO2.

Filter: Eheim Classic 2217, but with extra holes drilled and outlet facing tank to drastically reduce flow. The flow does not affect the fish or plants.

Fish: 4 discuses, 5 Rummies, 6 Sterbai cories. No sign of disease.

Feeding regime: Hikari bloodworms daily as breakfast, Hikari discus bio-gold daily as dinner.

Plants: Swords - 3 x E. Bleheri, 1 x E.Red Flame
Ferns – 3 x Java fern (in pots)
Crypts – 1 x Crypt. Wendtii (green), 2 x Crypt. Wendtii (g. gecko)
Vallisnera – 3 x Vallis. Cockscrew (came in 3 pots)
Hygrophilia – 6 x Hygrophilia (refer to picture for exact species)

PWC frequency: I do a 25% PWC weekly.

Water parameters: The tank is cycled. I condition the tap water with Sera Super Peat and Almond leaves before doing PWCs.

The water parameters are maintained at around:
PH: 6.4-6.6
KH:2
GH: 6

Tank water parameters from my area if you want to know more: http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/waters...gWQReport.aspx

Others:
-I have not gravel vacuum since I started the tank 3 months ago.
-I added a little coral sand to act as a buffer.
-Tank contains driftwood.
-Fish were quarantined and plants were dipped in 1/20 beach solution prior to introduction to main tank.
-I can only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, KH and GH – no test kits for ferts.

Last edited by KengFishTank; 12-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Added pictures
KengFishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

At 1/4 teaspoon per time, put in Baking soda and test for Kh. When you get a 3 reading it is enough.
Go in the algae section and look up the BBA...directions for removal are in there. BBA is not spontanious.
It is borrowed from an outside source. Does the picture(s) of it look like what your tank has ?
Kh is not a "cure all" or even very important but CAN cause problems when under a 3 reading.
The baking soda will raise your Ph but if you like you can also test it at the same time so as not to let it get too high.
It shouldn't if just using one or two 1/4teaspoons of the baking soda.
http://www.guitarfish.org/algae
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Tzac
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have run into problems with BBA When using a pink grow light. I don't know if it was the cause but I recently put one back into my lights and had another outbreak so..?
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
KengFishTank

Thank you to the both of you. Below are a few updates, general questions:

I condition my water in a separate container with API stress coat, almond leaves and Sera Super Peat before doing PWCs. Do you think that will aggravate the algae problem?

And, I have recently gravel vacuumed, and washed my Eheim filter. Got some SAEs too. Will be getting more hygro and crypt to suck up the extra nutrients in the water column

Also, should I increase my current lighting (Arcadia T5 Original Tropical Plant Pro) duration from 6 to 8 hours?

Just to be extra safe: From the picture at the end of this reply, I AM facing BBA (Black beard algae) right?

Also, should I increase my current lighting (Arcadia T5 Original Tropical Plant Pro) duration from 6 to 8 hours?

And, I have recently gravel vacuumed, and washed my Eheim filter. Got some SAEs too.

Just to be extra safe: From the picture at the end of this reply, I AM facing BBA (Black beard algae) right?

Raymond S.,
I’m afraid the increase in KH via this method may affect the discuses. So I may want to try the Seachem Excel method first. Have you heard of/tried the Seachem Excel method? I read that I should lower the water level and squirt Seachem Excel directly onto the affected plant areas. What’s your take on this?

Tzac,
I read the same thing about pink light and BBA on anoher forum. Unfortunately, I won’t be changing my lighting soon as I’ve just bought it some time ago.

KengFishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have read about treating hair algae/w Excel by using a baster and placing the Excel directly on the hair algae.
Not familiar/w Discuses and the baking soda will raise the Ph at the same time it raises the Kh so since my only knowledge
about Discuses is that they need lower than normal Ph, then I would say don't use the Baking soda.
I had trouble/w my plants stopped growing and this "hair" appeared on them. It mostly affected the older parts of the plants.
I checked/w the owner of my LFS, who is an ex biology teacher(and therefor must have some sort of degree in biology[?] you
would think) and he said it was due to the Kh being lower than 3 and told me to add 1/4 teaspoon(as he knows my tank is ten G)
and after this those "hairs" went away and the plants started growing again. Did not need to add it again/each time I changed water.
But I strongly suspect it was because at the time this happened I had a habit of using some water from a nearby stream for my
tank and it had a Ph very near a 6 due to it flowing through a Cypress bottom land just before the pond which I got the water
from. Funny thing is that now I add R/O to the tap water I use(in a very specific percent) and get the Ph to be 6.4-6.6 and it
seems to be good for all...plants/fish/shrimp/daphnia.
I am subscribed to this thread/please let us know what you get as results/progress...thank you.
This is a picture of the "hair" on the plants.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im...y/pg_6921d.jpg
Look at the pictures of the algae on here: Personally I think they have a couple of kinds mis-labeled but the picture of BBA looks the same as any I've
seen. And it don't look like what you have. http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/
I think raising the light duration is a mistake right now. But the way you treat the water I don't think will contribute to algae.

Last edited by Raymond S.; 12-23-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Picture
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote