Lfs In Ne Phila?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 01-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

Lfs In Ne Phila?

Looking for LFS in NE philadelphia area

i know only one store named thehiddenreef
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Shady Milkman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

How is that hidden reef store? I heard it was awesome so I looked up their site so I could get directions only to find that it was destroyed by fire.
Shady Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

Yup, it burnt down last winter.

Check out this store.....

http://www.dvaga.com/articles_InLivingColor.htm

There arent many plants but there is a large amount of freshwater fish. But for hardware, you really cant beat a trip to that pet place. We are thinking of putting together a group trip there with the club (dvaga). Let me know if you are interested in going or stopping by a meeting.

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Dusty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hidden Reef is back up and in operation at a new location. Much better then before.

Check it out:

www.thehiddenreef.com
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
aquagirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Hidden Reef is back up and in operation at a new location. Much better then before.

Check it out:

www.thehiddenreef.com
I just love the Reef. If they don't have what you want they will gladly order it for you.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
RebeccaBE

The Hidden Reef is awesome, so awesome in fact that I don't mind driving 25 minutes over state lines to get there. So clean, everything looks very well cared for. Their plants are very healthy also, when I bought my star rotala it was pearling in their tank. They were very happy to special order Farlowella for me, they'll try to get ahold of any live stock you're interested in. I've seen some pretty rare fish there waiting to be picked up. Hidden Reef is also pretty underpriced for some strange reason. I hope that lasts.

Also in NE philly is Fish Factory, really only 10 minutes from the hidden reef on rt 413. Before the reef reopened it was the only decent lfs in the area. It's a bit more expensive and I don't think it's nearly as nice, but hey, form your own opinion.
RebeccaBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
foamerdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

One thing to add to the Fish Factory is they have a great used stuff spot a real good prices (Eheim 2229 wet/dry in need of a seal for 50) love this old school lfs
foamerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
slickvic277
Algae Grower

I think the new hidden reef pales in comparison to the old one.The new one is bigger and has more of a selection of dry goods but the fish selection(fresh water)is weak "painted"and"tattooed"oscars,balloon german rams they really dont cary much in the way of descent fresh water fish and they havn't cleaned or restocked the plants since the opened back up.The old store had a much friendlier and more knowledgable staff as well.All that being said its still the best lfs in the northeast philadelphia and surronding area,but big als in plymouth meeting blows them out of the water in every major catogory;fish selection,plant selection,dry goods and equipment,and price.Their staff on a whole is also a bit more knowledgeable.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
24fps
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
All that being said, big als in plymouth meeting blows them out of the water in every major catogory;fish selection,plant selection,dry goods and equipment,and price.Their staff on a whole is also a bit more knowledgeable.
I would have to agree that big Al's is the best in the area. I have been to east coast aquatics, monster pets, and Big Al's.
Monster Pets blows because it is a total pet store, with mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish. The selection is mediocre, but prices are OK.
East Coast aquatics: Plus side= a mom and pop store. Minus= expensive and not a great selection.
Big Al's: man is this place nice. tons of freshwater fish. plant selection is not THAT interesting, but more diverse than ECA, plus prices are better.

John, an employee, is a plant guru, and all the staff is super friendly. I bought 12 neon tetras today, when I got home noticed 2 were stressed/wounded, they exchanged them no questions asked. I will be doing my fish shopping there from now on. can't be beat from the three places I have been.
Not to mention they have a planted display tank set up by DVAG (Del. valley aquatic gardeners) it looks sooo cool.
I whole heartedly reccomend Big Al's.
24fps is offline   Reply With Quote