Who knows Wisteria well ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Who knows Wisteria well ?

I have one Wisteria that is well lit/gets Excel but just starting good ferts/plant was cut at about 3" from the
substrate to re-grow as it was huge when bought and is in a tenG tank.
Question: Does Wisteria have an above average appetite for any particular fert ? This tank has wild ram snails.
The T5 bulbs are in front of the tank but the back one is almost exactly 9" over and just in front of the plant so
no lack for light. You can tell it was cut as the stem is different thicknesses as it goes up.
The holes are most of the issue but the plants lack luster/not perky appearance is also a concern.
Just started that tank on Macro/Micro ferts. Just had Leaf Zone Tetra Pride before that.
Best guess scenario: lack of nutrients or snail attack ?
This link is to my gallery as I don't yet know how to do one picture.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...&order=&page=0
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have root tabs and does excel in my 5.5 gallon and they grow like crazy. In fact, im always trimming them! If anything, I've heard that they are nitrate hogs. Do you have a lot of fish biomass in the system? The nutrient dosing should clear it up though, as I believe that they are primarily leaf feeders. Good luck!

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know it hogs nitrates but not sure what other particular nutrients it gobbles up. Honestly, it grows so agressively its probably just feeding off of water lol
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wisteria is a potassium lover. Also a nutrient hog, mainly from the water column but it can make nice roots.
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1 to all above on nutrient requirements.

Wisteria's Latin name, "Hygrophila difformis", gives another hint on its behavior, as difformis means "two forms". It can change new leaf shape, size, and overall growth patterns dramatically in response to a change in the conditions in which it's grown. But it can take a little time to make the transition. And as it does, the older growth often suffers and looks terrible. At which point ramshorn snails may consider that unhealthy old growth fair game for a snack.

So if you're confident in your new macro/micro dosing, plus your existing Excel and lights, you may just have to wait a while to see positive results.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Huh. That's good to know, actually

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

The Aqavisor doesn't have two of my fish so stocking level is guesswork. But I put 4-5 Least Killi fish in there about last
June 1st and now there are about 15. Plus one Banded Pigmy sunfish and 10-14 mostly smaller RCS. Tomorrow is only
the second time using the Micro/Macro ferts so time will tell if I'm dosing enough Nitrate. Should be a fairly high
amount in there already/w that many fish...but...
Up until last week this tank only got Leaf Zone + Excel and Tetra Pride but the 15th of Oct received a new substrate
and of course a re-planting. The Sub is Original Sea Chem Flourite chosen because of it's high iron content plus
a friend on another forum said out of 5 tanks he has in Freshwater(he does mostly salt) he has all but one in old
regular fine gravel and one in the Flourite and it's the only one that gives him algae problems. A true testimony to
the fact that it DOES supply nutrients to the tank. I ordered a bag the next day...LOL...
We'll see. I'm just beginning this plant thing. Only the most common types before like floating Hortworth.
Now: Rotala indica / Rotala Magenta / Giant Duckweed / Dwarf Pennywort / a native hairgrass / a bog plant that resembles
bushy hair grass / a third unknown type that looks similar / Riccia fluitans / Java moss / Christmas moss / narrow leaf
Java Fern / Philippine Java Fern / Najas Grass / Baby tears / and one Wisteria.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Tomorrow is only
the second time using the Micro/Macro ferts so time will tell if I'm dosing enough Nitrate. Should be a fairly high
amount in there already/w that many fish...but...
Up until last week this tank only got Leaf Zone + Excel and Tetra Pride but the 15th of Oct received a new substrate
and of course a re-planting. The Sub is Original Sea Chem Flourite chosen because of it's high iron content plus
a friend on another forum said out of 5 tanks he has in Freshwater(he does mostly salt) he has all but one in old
regular fine gravel and one in the Flourite and it's the only one that gives him algae problems. A true testimony to
the fact that it DOES supply nutrients to the tank. I ordered a bag the next day...LOL...
Patience is your friend here it will take at least a couple weeks to see some real differences from the dosing. What are you dosing now? and for what size tank?

Flourite is a good substrate but it does not supply nutrients to the tank. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the topic, mainly due to marketing ploys. Flourite is inert. It has a higher Cation Exchange Capacity (cec) than some substrates, meaning in can "store" nutrients and "release" them slowly to the plants roots, its does not break down and leach anything significant into the water. So although they may supply you with a nice mineral content listed right on the bag, those minerals are not very available to our plants.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

From the picture in your gallery it looks like the wisteria was grown out of water and is probably transitioning to your tank and to being in water. Not a whole lot you can do until it transitions and starts growing new growth. It is a fast grower but it will be slow to start off, it took mine about 3 months. Looked horrible, melted and thought I had lost the whole plant. When it finally took off though it grew in beautifully and has grown like a weed ever since.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Patience is your friend here it will take at least a couple weeks to see some real differences from the dosing. What are you dosing now? and for what size tank?

Flourite is a good substrate but it does not supply nutrients to the tank. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the topic, mainly due to marketing ploys. Flourite is inert. It has a higher Cation Exchange Capacity (cec) than some substrates, meaning in can "store" nutrients and "release" them slowly to the plants roots, its does not break down and leach anything significant into the water. So although they may supply you with a nice mineral content listed right on the bag, those minerals are not very available to our plants.
Till two weeks ago: 10 gallon tank/T5 x 2bulbs...
Daily: Excel x 1ml
Bi weekly: Leaf Zone x 1ml
Weekly: Tetra Pride x 2 ml

Starting last week:
Daily Excel x 1ml
Weekly: Sea Chem Flourish Comprehensive x 1ml
Potassium Nitrate x 1/8th teaspoon (dry)
Potassium Phosphate x 1/64th teaspoon (dry)
Tetra Pride x 2ml
Intended to replicate E.I. but in a minimal amount and per week dosing.
To grow full/healthy plants at a more normal rate due to having all needed nutrients, but not in mega doses.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
From the picture in your gallery it looks like the wisteria was grown out of water and is probably transitioning to your tank and to being in water. Not a whole lot you can do until it transitions and starts growing new growth. It is a fast grower but it will be slow to start off, it took mine about 3 months. Looked horrible, melted and thought I had lost the whole plant. When it finally took off though it grew in beautifully and has grown like a weed ever since.
Don't know how close I was to the time the shop got them. And don't know what conditions they were raised under before then.
But the day I got them I cut the top off just above the first leaf from the roots so as not to totally stop it from getting light.
It had good roots and was already taller than my tank (10G) and I wanted it to "start over". What you see is about 4 wks
growth as I don't remember exact. Before this thread I didn't realize you can cut off the top and plant it or I would have
done that instead. So is this a "stemmed" plant then ? Had such good roots I thought it was a "rooted".
Well I wanted a fast grower to help/w controlling algae but it's likely to go, but not just yet. I'll give it more time as haste
has caused me grief.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

Up-date:
Been watching this plant for a while now and just this morning noticed that there appears small dots on the leaves which
are just a bit dark but then these dots turn into actual holes and get bigger slowly.