ID white fuzzy algae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
zachawry
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

ID white fuzzy algae?

Hi. Recently I've seen this white fuzzy algae (?) on my plants. Can anybody help with an ID and (hopefully) cause/solution?

At the same time, the green fuzzy hair on the glass, which I gather is basically unavoidable, seems to be recurring faster than it has been. The last photo is of the glass only one day after cleaning it. Perhaps the cause is the same?

Thanks very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5060_sm.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	242225  

Name:	DSC_5056_sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	242233  

Name:	DSC_5063_sm.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	242241  

zachawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
zachawry
Planted Member

Actually, after taking some of the clumps out and examining them, the color appears more greenish/greyish. If that matters.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

it seems to me that green hair algae is forming on the glass
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
zachawry
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
it seems to me that green hair algae is forming on the glass
Yeah, I know that part. I was just including the green hair on the glass to show that it's been forming sooner than it has been. I was wondering that the algae in the first two pics are....
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachawry View Post
Yeah, I know that part. I was just including the green hair on the glass to show that it's been forming sooner than it has been. I was wondering that the algae in the first two pics are....
no idea white stuff i usually associate with bacteria or fungus, because white color means it reflects all visible light, hence does not do photosynthesis
nevertheless, in most cases algae problems can be solved by focusing on healthy plant growth.
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Orangespotted
Algae Grower

Perhaps the beginnings of staghorn algae? It grows a pale grey-green in my tanks. Looks like you might have little bits of other stuff too.
Orangespotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Dantrasy
Planted Tank Obsessed

could be dying bba? have you changed anything in the past few weeks? more co2, less light, more plants etc.
Dantrasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've had something like this before but only in tight groupings.. usually only around a plant that is dead or severely decaying. I've never had it really spread after I removed the source.. and I never really thought of it as algea; I assumed it was fungus. I hope someone else can give you some better answers. I almost want to tell you to try some antibiotics and see if that works but personally I've never needed them for this.
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Elli
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The white fuzzy stuff in the top picture looks like the mold or fungus I had a few months ago. When it was in my tank it started by forming on stems/leaves but would also free-float if disturbed, like when I tried to clean it off the plants sorta like dandelion puffs.

Folks here and on another forum gave me two really great pieces of advice, so I'll pass them along:
(1) Make sure you aren't over-feeding, or leaving food on the bottom of the tank.
(2) Change the food you're using. I was told that some foods have more binders than others and sometimes those binders can cause fungus if left in the tank. I have no personal knowledge to back that up, but changing the fish food did resolve the problem for me.

I also had to pull out the worst-affected plants to wash off the white stuff (water and fingers only) and did a couple of partial water changes back-to-back with some aggressive netting out of any floating white stuff. The good news is that after that and changing the fish food the problem disappeared. Hope it works for you, too!

By the way, the green hair algae on the glass was happening to my tank, too. It also disappeared after changing the food.

Last edited by Elli; 12-06-2013 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: added last paragraph
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
zachawry
Planted Member

Thanks a lot.

I had never heard of fungus in a tank.

It's hard to believe I over-feed, considering I switch off between once per day and twice per day. So an average of 1.5 feedings per day. I have been using more frozen shrimp brine than usual, though. I wonder if that would contribute.