My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 47
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #691
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah, but $100+ isn't exactly "simple budget build" for a tank that probably won't house any more than 15 bucks worth of fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #692
tarsman013
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

one of the mini canisters that do 80gph may do you better (zoomed 501 for instance).
SunSun Pimp #85
tarsman013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #693
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Does a canister create the same kind of current/turbulence as a HOB? As a rule, I always over filtrate, but would 20 gallon capacity canister have the same "push" as a 20 gal HOB? For some reason I feel like that should be a dumb question, but I've never ventured into this realm....

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #694
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

HOB and canisters both list a flow rating in Gph. Most HOB filters distribute the return right at, above or below the waterline. Canister filters most commonly have a spray bar, which you mount inside the tank using suction cups.

This bar can then be turned or twisted to direct the return flow where you like. Point the bar outlets up towards the surface to create agitation that oxygenates the water, or aim them lower to create flow in dead zones.

I'm happy with SunSun products for the price. If you're looking for a canister for a 10 gallon tank, you might want to look a bit smaller.

In fact, if budget is an issue, why not simply get small powerhead and a sponge to fit over the inlet to act as a filter?

TL/DR - as long as the Gph is similar and accurate, they will create similar flow, but a spray bar does a better job of directing that flow, spreading it out, based on the length of the bar.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #695
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info! Budget is not THAT much of an issue. I prefer filtration systems that have multiple stage filtration, sponges just don't do it for me. Especially because im considering moving my dwarf puffers into that tank once it has cycled, and they have a large bioload. I was actually looking at their smaller one that will power 30, but I also found a couple other things that sound like they would work well too.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #696
etk300ex
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsman013 View Post
Yeah, mine made a big difference. I also found that pot scrubbies REALLY slow down the flow so I ended up ordering a couple more of the sponges for cheap from sunsun and used a metric crap ton of ceramic media (2 baskets full for a 40b) ceramic media is cheap through ebay (when you have so much, quality is not a huge deal) - I like the seller cll_petsupplies
I got a busy weekend but will install it this weekend hopefully. I got it from CLL actually. I'll report back on the flow rate.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #697
etk300ex
Algae Grower

Got it installed this weekend. I cut about a foot off the hoses, flow did increase but not a whole lot. Its certainly less than the fluval 304 by comparison. However I really like the filter thus far. The skimmer is an interesting set up lol, had to raise the tube up about 4" above the rim to get it to work.

This is in a 55g with a turtle so we'll see how it works out.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #698
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Well...I have some sad news. I lost my SunSun today. It lasted me almost 2 years, and would have gone another 2 if I didn't mess up.

I let my 20g aquarium go unchecked for a week, and the water evaporated below the intake and I burned up the impeller.

Luckily, all my fish are alive. But I don't have any back-up filters, so they are just going to have to deal without any flow for a week or two while a new one gets shipped out. I have only 6 neon tetra and some shrimp, and way too many plants, so I'm not too worried about Ammonia.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #699
tarsman013
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Well...I have some sad news. I lost my SunSun today. It lasted me almost 2 years, and would have gone another 2 if I didn't mess up.

I let my 20g aquarium go unchecked for a week, and the water evaporated below the intake and I burned up the impeller.

Luckily, all my fish are alive. But I don't have any back-up filters, so they are just going to have to deal without any flow for a week or two while a new one gets shipped out. I have only 6 neon tetra and some shrimp, and way too many plants, so I'm not too worried about Ammonia.
truaqua sells parts fwiw
SunSun Pimp #85
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #700
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Already bought another. I thought they didn't make parts...Oh well, I can always use another filter.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #701
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Oh, and the impeller is fine, its the motor (or whatever you call it...). I couldn't find that on truaqua....could somebody link me?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #702
etk300ex
Algae Grower

Made a new back for my canopy this weekend. Skimmer works great, this tank has always had a thick oil slick on top, crystal clear now. I got some more media too, running 3 blue pads, bio balls, 6 white pads.

Another note, evaporation is almost nil, used to be a +1/2" a day with my Penguin 350. I'm probably going to get another one of these puppies for my 29g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	242929  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	242937  

Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #703
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Congratulations on getting the skimmer to work! Many have tried, few have succeeded. Good to know that simply raising the intake bar a few inches makes it possible.

My SunSun has been going strong for 2+ years on my 30g cube, inline reactor and heater included.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #704
tarsman013
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Congratulations on getting the skimmer to work! Many have tried, few have succeeded. Good to know that simply raising the intake bar a few inches makes it possible.

My SunSun has been going strong for 2+ years on my 30g cube, inline reactor and heater included.

Honestly i got my skimmer working pretty easy - took some black plastic and bent it around a few of the fins then use it to hole the skimmer in place with tension from the intake tube. Works VERY well (but has to be moved when your water level changes a lot, but for larger tanks this can be weeks - and only takes about 10 seconds).
SunSun Pimp #85
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #705
1998golfer

I'm planning on a sunsun HW-304A for my marineland 27g cube, how much media does each of the baskets hold if someone on here has it?
1998golfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.