Cheapest method of substrate fertilization
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-28-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
Jeremy S
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have 75-gallon planted tank with a Flourite substrate and I am currently using flourish tabs to fertilize the substrate but I was wondering if there is a cheaper way to do it. I have heard of using jobs sticks but I have also heard that if you stir up the substrate they release lots of NO3 and PO4 into the water causing an algae outbreak. I have thought of taking dry nutrients and making some DIY tabs but I havent been able to find any info on doing that. Do you have any suggestions on either making my own tabs or finding a cheaper brand? Thanks.
Jeremy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the Planted Tank. Nice planted tank you have!

There was a discussion here which might answer some of your questions: http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1879

I use Jobes sticks, the "Lush Ferns and Palms" variety, which has a NPK content of 16-2-6. Every so often I cut them into 4 pieces, and push them into the substrate, underneath the root feeders. No problems with algae so far. I have uprooted large swords which pulled some of the sticks into the water column, but either I have been lucky or there is not much danger. Perhaps the nutrients are washed out of them and bound to the substrate? Anyway... works for me!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

My god man, how big is that SAE you have? wow, he's huge..lol
WfxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
ginnie5
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

Hi Jeremy,
your tank is much like mine! How many curviceps do you have? There are currently 2 in my tank and I believe I may have a pair. Anyway I have been using some pond tabs that I found at petsmart. they are much higher than everyone recommends but so far so good. My sword plants were not doing well, yellow leaves then holes in the leaves. these tabs gave more iron than the flouris and were half the price. I've been using them about a month with no problems.

3 festivum
2 von rio tetras
3 rummy nose tetras
5 black neons
1 sae
2 bristlenose plecs
1 clown plec
3 clown loaches
2 borellis..male

10g shrimp tank, amanos and ghost shrimp
2 10g borelli tanks
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Jeremy S
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Hi Jeremy, welcome to the Planted Tank. Nice planted tank you have!
Thanks for the compliment. It really has been an enjoyable tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
My god man, how big is that SAE you have? wow, he's huge..lol
He is about 6.5 in. long. When we first got him about 4 years ago he was only 1.5 in. long. He sure has grown but he lost his taste for algae and now he only eats the algae tabs I give him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie5
How many curviceps do you have? There are currently 2 in my tank and I believe I may have a pair. Anyway I have been using some pond tabs that I found at petsmart. they are much higher than everyone recommends but so far so good.
I lost my curvicep once I introduced the kribs. They didnt get along too well and he got in a fight and lost. Are these the kind of tabs you use? If so could you give me the list of ingredients and the Analysis? I would like to compare them to Seachms Flourish Tabs. Thanks.
Jeremy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
ginnie5
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

here's the ones I've been using
http://aquariumpharm.com/plantpro.html
just look at the aquatic plant food tablets
they have a lot of phosphate in them but since I've had a hard time keeping that at any detectable level in my tank I figured it wouldn't hurt. I was also thinking that my swords needed iron at the roots.
Here's the breakdown:
total nitrogen (n) 20.00%
phosphate (p2o5) 10.00%
soluble potash (k2o) 5.00%
calcium (ca) 2.80%
magnesium (mg) (total) 0.50%
sulfur (s) 2.00%
boron (b) 0.02%
copper (cu) 0.05%
iron (fe) 0.50%
manganese (mn) 0.05%
zinc (zn) 0.05%

My water is soft so I'm hoping that adding these will give my plants something that they are msiing out on. I am seeing improvement in my swords. The newest leaves don't look as bad.

3 festivum
2 von rio tetras
3 rummy nose tetras
5 black neons
1 sae
2 bristlenose plecs
1 clown plec
3 clown loaches
2 borellis..male

10g shrimp tank, amanos and ghost shrimp
2 10g borelli tanks
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've heard positive comments on this product: http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/fe616.html

debating ordering one myself, when I run out of the tabs I have now...which are handrolled by Off-ice@plantgeek.net
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you are looking at cost then you cant beat the Jobes... most places around me cut the price in half in the fall to get rid of any extra stock, thats when I stock up on them. But even at full price you are getting a great fert for a lot less because they arent quite so "specialized".... LOL

I have been using them for years without ill effects... or no more ill effects that cant occur with any substrate fert that gets "disturbed... LOL