Shrimp Rack Part Un
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp Rack Part Un

Hey guys! I've been a little silent from the boards...lots of fun, exciting, but draining things in the works! As my boyfriend has effectively quarantined the spread of tanks, restricting me to one measly tank room, I have decided to build a more...vertical method. I picked up an all-metal rack from Lowes, regular price 79.99, Black Friday remnant, priced at 49.95. 3 Dual 4' T8 shop lighting ballasts, 13.98 each. 12 pack of 6500K Reveal lights, 31 bucks and some change. 2 10 gallon tanks, 14.00 each at Petsmart, the other tanks I already laying around. These are going to be crappy pics to start...but it's 1230am...gimme a break

So far I've got 2 of 3 racks done, attached all of the ballasts, and have gotten the racks leveled. Once that's done, I'll have breeding space aplenty. I'm sacrificing a shelving cupboard to cut tray inserts; although the metal racks are strong, there is a tiny amount of bowing that I could do without, and the wood will add that last bit of stability I'm looking for. Bottom rack will have a 10 & 14 gallon. Center rack will have 2 10 gallons, and the top rack will be just for me, a 6 gallon Fluval Edge in burnt orange with LED conversion, and my 10 gallon de-rimmed seiryu iwagumi setup. Will continue to post pics as I go!

Full shot of my progress-

Closeup of the shelves with attached ballasts-
The_Shrimpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Oh come on just cause it's late doesn't mean you can slack off on good pics! Okay now that I've given you some trouble, looking nice, are those shelves fairly stable or are you going to have to strap them to the wall? Reason I ask is my demon kitty loves to climb on crap and I may do this one day, I could see it ending badly for me lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
are those shelves fairly stable or are you going to have to strap them to the wall?
I was kind of wondering the same thing. What is the weight limit of those shelves? I love the idea. I was trying to come up with a way to set up some breeding tanks and save on space. I love how you attached the light fixtures, very clean.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Those are Lowe's version of the "Metro Shelving". If you paid around $50 after discounts you must have chosen the largest model they offer.
  • Each shelf should support minimum 350lbs if the weight is distributed EVENLY.
  • Also comes with adjustable rubber feet @ the bottom of each pole so it will make leveling the whole thing much easier.
  • Black cable ties can work as temporary light hangers & tidy up wires easily.

I'm planning to setup a shelving unit like this in the basement, but I'm using Deep Blue Professional tanks & they're the same price you're paying for those standard tanks with the clear silicone.

Looking forward to your updates.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
ftwchopper
Algae Grower

I bet you could put the ten gallon tanks on end and fit three per shelf.Also drill one top end tank and add a stand pipe and you could connect them all as one unit,that would make the water parameters very stable. [IMG][/IMG]
ftwchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

The weight max stated 350, but I doubt that, otherwise I would have gone with the sideways route, but there's a slight amount of bow, so I'm reinforcing it with 1/2" thick laminate wood. They are surprisingly more stable than I thought they would be, no wall mounts necessary. As to whether or not it would hold up to el gato del diablo..probably after the tanks are filled...but not before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
I love how you attached the light fixtures, very clean.
Thanks! I was going for a clean a look as possible, that's why I went with all black

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
ftwchopper
Algae Grower

Yup..That lighting looks awesome !
ftwchopper is offline   Reply With Quote