Fluval spec ll, the lonely tree
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (38/100%)
Cool

Fluval spec ll, the lonely tree

Hey guys, is is my first journal here haha. I like how everyone posts the progress on there tanks, even if it takes weeks and months for a final product to be seen its a great stepping stone for newbies such as myself. I decided to re scape my spec today because I had some free time, and I just received some dragon stone from Dave. Needless to say the rock is amazing and I may order some more later down the road (wheels turning in head for 55g)

I do have to say though that the hardest part of this scape and making it happen is the lack of space to really do anything or space for hard scape placement, but I managed and I think idid quite well for my second scape ever. Next is my 55 if anyone could help me out my thread for that is under aquascapes.

What I did here was try to incorporate something from my childhood. My best friend growing up in Fremont ca and his family owned the hills to the right of the niles sign for white some time and they had a farm. On our way to school there was a tree on a hill all by its lonesome, we called it the lonely tree, reason being is that the ground around the tree was pure rock and couldn't grow anything else. So here is the lonely tree guys!

Plants; not to sure of the background plant please help I'd.
Fissidens fontanus
Crypt undulatus
Willow moss

Livestock;
Viel tail dumbo beta
Olive spot nerite
4 Amanos

So what I did first was remove all my old scape and plants. Removed my live stock, and then half the water to make it easier to work with.

My next thing was placing the rocks in the right position to create the sloping effect and the hill itself, this wasn't to hard being a small scale I was working with. The hard part was deciding which rocks would suit the hill the best(sorry for the cloudiness)

The final steps were fairly straight forward, water log the tree (mopani I got from a Lfs) wedge the fissidens between the rocks so the grow the contour of the hill, plant my tree ..... And attach the willow moss to the little branch.

After all of this was done I finally planted the remaining plants and replaced my fauna and waited for the tank to clear up, I also put some more left over flora max I had been saving over the hill surface and in the back by the tree to sort of blend the rocks together. And my final product

"the lonely tree"

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice shot at the end. That looks really good with the rocks. Glad you like them. Subbed!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I was thinking of running a mini co2 setup on this tank along with the flourish I dose weekly, do you think this will help. It is a pretty small tank, I don't want to gas anyone but at the same time I want lush growth

Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
I was thinking of running a mini co2 setup on this tank along with the flourish I dose weekly, do you think this will help. It is a pretty small tank, I don't want to gas anyone but at the same time I want lush growth
yeah you could run Co2 at very low levels. Getting the mini Fluval? Those aren't as practical as a mini regulator on a paintball canister. Given that is more expensive, but a better purchase in the long run. Either way...
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I'm running paintball co2 on my 55 with a gla atomic v2 reg with solenoid. So far running two weeks strong, I have a backup 20 oz so I don't have to fill every month.

I was thinking about the fluval mini or the 88 gram fluval. Given how small the tank is and running a low amount of co2 it should last quite a while right?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Ok guys, big update a month later haha. I have added some stouro repens to the tank. Just to give the foreground a bit of a pop because it was a bit boring to look at, added the plant in the back left to the back right as well. I need to do a trimming on the back sides. But the mosses are slowly slowly filling in. The willow moss is partially submerged and emersed because of how tall the tree stem is haha. Crypt is starting to grow out of control.

Sorry for the messy pictures guys, my phone is not the best and I will be upgrading soon.

I'm dosing flourish comp and iron every other week because it is such a small tank and I do have shrimp in here as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Suggestions?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Alright guys I got a new phone, which means a crap ton better quality pictures. Coming soon haha

Aside from that, my fissidens are finally growing in a small bush when it gets bigger I will tuck it on the rock to start a cover going through the "hill"
Aside from that everything is coming along. I may run a splitter on my co2 and pump co2 in this tank for a few hours a day, just to tighten up the growth a little bit.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora

wow the difference in phone pictures is nice. Isnt tech getting so nice? ^_^

Looking good!!! Has that moss fully attached yet? Are you wrapping the growth back around the wood or trimming it?
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Yes technology isn't getting much better, but my old phone was also out dated when I bought it haha.

So for the willow moss, I'm letting it grow out and then I'm going to trim it so it bushes more like a tree. I may wrap it but it has fully attached.

The fissidens at the bottom I am going to wrap and tuck into the rocks as it grow so it give a kind of grassy and mossy look to the rocks.

The stauro repens is difficult I have to re plant it daily because the flora max isn't grabbing it and my shrimp are just tearing it all back up. Not fun. I hay end up replacing it with some parva I have and taking out the crypt that is big in there. It's not meant for such a small tank.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Any idea on what the plant in the back right corner is? I haven't been able to get an id on it.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

So, the scape turned out the way I wanted it to. And I got the effect I wanted but I want to change out the substrate, and do a carpet, and change out stocking. Currently the stock is one betta and a few ghost shrimp and one amano.

But I want to stock it with a couple high end shrimp male and female and a few Pygmy cories maybe a couple celestial pearl danios.

Question is with the lighting that came with this spec 2 would it be enough to generate a carpet or should I invest in a PC light? I was thinking dwarf baby tears, or maybe glosso or something. What are some stem plant that stay small as well?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like a good start!
Hmmmm, baby tears and glosso do better with a decent amount of lighting. how may watts does the ligh have at the moment? I would say 1-1.5 watts per gallon is low-ish tech and maybe 3ish watts per gallon is high-ish tech (dont shout at me if I gave you wrong info, im sorry if im wrong) you will need co2 to get a good thick, lush carpet of glosso or baby tears. Dwarf hairgrass requires slightly less lighting but may not give you the desired affect you were after. I dont know how bad cories are with digging up plants but I know my hopolo catfish destroyed by DHG carpet
nice scape, good luck!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I'm not sure how many watts the light is right now it's a stock light that came with the fluval. And it's led. I was thinking of getting a fluval cfl or the archaea 13watt cfl. I would be switching out the flora max for Amazonia that I have lieing around so nutrients would now be a problem. I love the look of dbt and glosso. And Pygmy cories are less than an inch and stay that way so I wouldn't be to worried about any uprooting going on. This is going to be more of an experiment for when I re do my ten gallon shrimp tank this year or next year depending on where I have my funds ATM. I would be dosing excel and possible pps pro. But for such a small tank it's going to be hard to dose pps pro or excel. But it can be done.

Tags
beta, hill, spec