The Planted Tank Forum banner

My ADA 30C: Humble beginnings 11.30.13

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Nooob 
#1 · (Edited)
My last serious planted tank was in 2008. I'm considering this a bigger brother to my old 20cm tank. So I'm going for a similar themed scape here too.

I don't have all the equipment yet, but here is what I have:

ADA 30c
ADA CO2 (got it used for cheap!)
ADA Aquasky
Eheim 2211 (no lily pipes yet)
Aqueon 50 watt internal heater
Aquasoil Amazonia
Rocks from a nearby stream
Eheim Aquastyle 9 gallon stand

My stand isn't here yet so I'm just playing around with the hardscape for now. No plants yet either.

Tentative list of plants:
Eleocharis belem
Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila pinnatifida
?
various stem plants? Like Rotala species, maybe.

I don't know what kind of scape I want to go for honestly, something with a lawn of hairgrass in the front sounds nice though. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Here are my two tentative hardscapes. Let me know which one you like more! I like the second one, the girlfriend likes the first one better. Not sure which one to go for at this point.

Forgive me for the phone quality. My DSLR is out of battery right now.

12.6.13 update

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks TheRiverRat! I'm going to end up going for the first one. I'm growing to like it a lot more.

I tried playing around with more rocks and arrangement of the other two rocks. Let me know what you think.

What plants do you recommend besides Eleocharis blem? Perhaps Blyxa can work in the midground? Another forum member didn't recommend Blyxa in this scape. I dunno. I'm starting to realize plant selection is not something I'm very good at haha.

#4 ·
I am quite pleased with it right now.

The Eheim Aquastyle stand is here too! Fits the 30c perfectly and looks beautiful.

Here's what I'm thinking for plants:

Eleocharis sp. in the back (Saw it at Aqua Forest, grows to like 20 cm, and the store guy didn't know what species it was! Looks great though.
Echinodorus tenellus in the midground
Hydrocotyle tripartata between the rocks (or abandon it just for E. tenellus? I'm kind of very fond of the look of the plant and just want to make it work lol)
Eleocharis belem lawn in front all the way to the back of the left side.

Thoughts? I can always just try it, and if it doesn't work, just replant etc.

#6 ·
Most likely correct.

As far as the foreground, the pictures you pasted there look more like E. parvula than E. belem.

Depending on what texture you want, you can pick between the two. E. belem curls a bit and E. pavula is straight. Kinda like E. acicularis but shorter.

Tank looks great so far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.