Fallen Tree Branch 60cm - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #226
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Very inspirational! I learned a lot of new tricks from this. As far as the stand build, did you use 4x4 for the legs or was it the same from guy you borrowed the concept from? and what type of paint did you use to paint the brackets and screws? I would love to see a build thread of your stand. That would be awesome!
I didn't document my stand enough to make a build thread. I did use 4x4 legs, and the paint was just black Rust-Oleum spray paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Also what did you use to bend and heat the acrylic pipes?
I heated it with a heat gun with a 5/8" cotton rope inside to keep the acrylic from flattening out as it bends.

I cut out a wooden frame to bend it around, along with a little aluminum strap to hold the end in place. It worked out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponta View Post
EPIC TANK MATE ! Totally my favorit style in aquascaping !
Thanks!
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #227
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Do you have a link to the ones you are using?
I didn't buy them online, and don't remember the brand but I think this is the same design, see how there is a rubber pyramid rather than a metal spring and plastic bit? That is what you are looking for, the metal parts all rust out when used with fluid rather than air.
Amazon.com: MR. Aqua Plastic Check Valve: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: MR. Aqua Plastic Check Valve: Pet Supplies

I think these are much cheaper and the same thing, but it is harder to tell by the picture:
Amazon.com: Jardin Plastic Air Pump 2-Piece Check Valves for Fish Tank, Pink/Clear: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Jardin Plastic Air Pump 2-Piece Check Valves for Fish Tank, Pink/Clear: Pet Supplies

Whiskey
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #228
Tyrone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ingenuity at its finest. Thank you
Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #229
tropicalryan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great DIY skills, sorry to hear about the UG
tropicalryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #230
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. It is a bummer, but it's also a learning experience. My number one hobby is learning, even if it sucks sometimes. My number two hobby is not giving up, so trust me, I'll nurse this thing back to life again!

Thanks for he offer Beardie! As for plants, my DHG belem is insanely sparse. It's not easy to find and I'm willing to pay for it as long as it's belem. I also want to do s. repens again. I really liked it last time, but I lost it to mold from my DSM. Beyond those two, I'm still trying to figure it out.

And Jalopy, I might have been able RAOK the UG, but I soaked it in the same H2O2 solution as the other plants, so I figured it was a goner. I let it sit in a bowl for 2 days before I decided to toss it, which was after the melting started and I realized what happened. I just assumed it was toast. Maybe it would have lived, but I didn't want somebody to pay for shipping for a dead plant.

I know some folks that have Belem.
I'll also have some UG if you are glutton for punishment in about 4-8 weeks.
Belem sounds like the way to go.

The Hydrocotyle and the UG made a very nice contrast I thought.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #231
vraev
Algae Grower

Honestly the best tank I have ever seen. Can stand among the best designs by amano himself. More than his simplicity, I love your stand..the design aesthetic and the overall look. More homely as well (I know it is ur home) compared to the more "urban" "photoshoot" setups in Amano's gallery.
vraev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #232
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I didn't buy them online, and don't remember the brand but I think this is the same design, see how there is a rubber pyramid rather than a metal spring and plastic bit? That is what you are looking for, the metal parts all rust out when used with fluid rather than air.
Amazon.com: MR. Aqua Plastic Check Valve: Pet Supplies

I think these are much cheaper and the same thing, but it is harder to tell by the picture:
Amazon.com: Jardin Plastic Air Pump 2-Piece Check Valves for Fish Tank, Pink/Clear: Pet Supplies
Thanks for the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I know some folks that have Belem.
I'll also have some UG if you are glutton for punishment in about 4-8 weeks.
Belem sounds like the way to go.

The Hydrocotyle and the UG made a very nice contrast I thought.
Thanks Tom! I'll shoot you a PM on the belem. I got a good start with the hitchhiker I got from you, but I'd like to get more plant mass faster to help it from becoming an algae farm.

I also loved the look of the hydrocotyle and the UG. Actually I loved pretty much everything about my tank other than the massive amount of trimming I had to do, but even that was enjoyable for me. That said, I'll have to pass on more UG until I'm better at this. I don't know what I did wrong, or if that's just what UG does (eventually let go of the substrate and lift up), but it was really disappointing to watch it do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraev View Post
Honestly the best tank I have ever seen. Can stand among the best designs by amano himself. More than his simplicity, I love your stand..the design aesthetic and the overall look. More homely as well (I know it is ur home) compared to the more "urban" "photoshoot" setups in Amano's gallery.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #233
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Post Mortem

What's left from my disaster?
  • 8 little sprigs of blyxa japonica
  • 2 decent stems and 14 uber small sprigs of ludwigia sp. red
  • 16 very small and unhealthy looking (but alive) stems of alternanthera reineckii mini
  • 1 tiny 3 leaved vine of hydrocotyle tripartita japan (left front)
  • a few clumps of flame moss
  • 43 one inch or less tall bocapa (harvested from the tops that lived)
  • 1 one inch tall stem of rotola indica
  • All of my anubias nana petite and anubias barteri (never dipped them)
  • 12 little plugs of DHG belem that I grew out from one tiny plug
It's not much, but it'll grow. EI dosing, 70 par at the substrate, and good CO2 should get this thing back to life. I'm also ordering a few new plants to play with. 2 Euriocaulon Cinereum, 1 c. parva, a tiny bit more DHG belem, some fissidens to cover the rocks on the right hand side, and a couple others. Not sure what all I'll keep as I work on a new layout.

Here is the current full tank shot. The red fuzz on the anubias and a few other places is dead algae. You can see the DHG belem and a few of the blyxa along the front, the ludwiga back left, and the very sad looking alternanthera reineckii mini in the middle.

You can see all of the ludwigia sp. red I salvaged and my 1 sprig of hydrocotyle.

Here you can see a lot of the tiny bocapa tops I saved and more of the very sad looking alternanthera reineckii mini.

Considering it was producing a quart ziplock full of plant stem trimmings a week before this happened, it looks pretty desolate. I hope I can nurse it all back to life. It's going to take a lot time and a lot of TLC.

Wish me luck.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #234
natiedean24
Algae Grower

Hope the tank is recovering well. I just finished my driftwood hard scape that uses eggcrate like yours. So thankful you posted that here - it is an idea that helped me greatly.
natiedean24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #235
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

I concur. I'm working on setting up a 60P tank and want to implement an exaggerated hill, so I used your egg crate idea to help with stability. Thanks for the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #236
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! It's recovering, but slowly. Far from pictures at this point.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #237
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I hope your tank is recovering nicely. I know how frustrating it must be. Some of my plants also melted quickly (but my tank was nowhere near as nice as yours though).
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #238
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlfkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #239
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Although it doesn't look like it did in it's prime, it's actually recovering pretty well. However, it really needs to be cleaned up. I've been kind of letting it go, only doing water changes, feeding the fish, and fertilizing. I'll try to get some pics in the next week or so. I have a lot of plant moving and reorganizing to do. It's been mostly layed out so that I could get stuff growing again.

About a week ago I changed out the glass lily pipes in favor of NA's stainless flow pipes. I paid $123 shipped with the exchange rate. I'll be curious to see how much ADG sells them for. The don't disappear like freshly cleaned glass pipes, but they also don't get all nasty like glass pipes. I think they look really cool, and they make me want to change out my acrylic light hanger poles for steel ones. I think I probably will at some point.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #240
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

In my last brief update, I mentioned the NA pipes that I replaced my lily pipes with. I'm super happy I got them when I did, because now that NA has been bought out by ADG, they said they are only selling complete systems, so you can't buy these pipes anymore. For me the key selling point was that they go all the way down and into the cabinet. Because of this, I was able to ditch the clear vinyl tubing.

I don't like clear vinyl tubing, because it's hard to bend and it constantly fights to keep it's shape. It also gets gross like the glass lily pipes, so even when I cleaned the glass pipes, the vinyl still looked like crap. It's was also, for some reason, slowing down my flow by about 50%. I have since swapped back to the black ribbed fluval tubing that my pump came with. It's very easy to bend and doesn't push the pipes around, and my flow is back to being very strong again.

As for the tank, it's coming along pretty good. It's been about 2 months since I self distracted my plants, and considering that I have not added one single plant, I'd say I've done well. Every thing in there has been nursed back from death. The DHG belem is really filling out quickly now, and pretty much all of the plants that lived are now taking off. If you look at the pic below you can see it filling in the whole front area pretty well.

Here is a pic of the pipes and how they run down into my stand now. If you look at the pics I posted on November 30th, it's made some pretty good strides. I'll post some close ups of the tank in a week or so. I just trimmed and propagated them today, so it needs to fill out a little more again.