Betta Spec V - New!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

Betta Spec V - New!

Got a Spec V off a classified site today - $30 and it came full of a nice mix of Flourite and a black spraypainted back.

I can't wait to set it up! It needs a proper stand but I have it on a table for now

It will be for my betta... I'll have to think of something else for my small Spec!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Wow, that's a great deal.

The pump actually creates a lot of current for that tank, so you'll probably want to turn it all the way down. That still might be too much for a betta.

I've read of people making spraybars, restricting the flow with some sponge or floss. One person put a hole into the tube both to create more flow in the 2nd chamber (good if that's where you want to hide the heater) and reduce flow into the tank.

I thought maybe a bunch of tall plants might break up the flow, but since the return looks like it's on the front of the tank, that would also block your view.

Oh, and there's room under the sponge between the two chambers to stash purigen or something else if you want. Maybe one of the small, no-settings "betta heaters" would fit down there.

Last edited by jrh; 11-27-2013 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Added spraybar suggestion
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The filter won't work... hopefully it just needs a bit of fiddling and I didn't get sold a dud...

Edit: Never mind, took it out and banged it against my hand a few times... a few grains of the black sand fell out and now it's working
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Drunk_Tank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

funny to see this thread, looks good! was hoping someone would get more use out of it rather then sitting under my stairs. glad you got the filter working, it was working fine when i shut it down. the tank was bought only a few months ago on a impulse/store credit buy. sorry about the shotty spray paint job, enjoy!
Drunk_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hahah funny to see you on here too. Saw your thread about ordering a 60-P - now I know I'm not the only one with an ADA tank in Kelowna :P Thanks, I'm sure my betta will love it!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Drunk_Tank
Algae Grower

yeah im just toying with my hardscape and the plants should be here some time in december haha sux having to order everything but oh well. where do you find your ada stuff if you dont mind me asking?? I ordered all my stuff through agelfins and my plants through theplantguy.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my 60-P from Miyabi Aqua Design in Vancouver. The whole tank was kind of a big failure though... my CO2 regulator is broken so I'm still struggling with balance. The stand I had custom made locally
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Drunk_Tank
Algae Grower

yeah i read your journal before i ordered my stuff, the stand looks great and your tank also looks great. i plan on growing my hc carpet doing the DSM, we will see how it goes iv never really planned any of my tanks out like this one before.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Light planting and a happy betta. Will be redoing the scape once I get some more plants :P Really needed to get the Spec 2 out of the way so I could put up my Christmas tree!