Using new lamps in old fixture? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Short of giving away someone a light, it's always an uphill battle to convince someone they need to upgrade their lighting when they think what they have can work. The longer they have been in the hobby of fish keeping, the harder it is as T12's were impressive when they started to become widely used. I was not in this hobby but I do remember how excited my dad was to put florescent lighting in our home.

That said, just about the only think I can convince someone who really thinks their T12/T8 lighting will cut it is CLF bulbs. Even though sometimes you can find as good or better of a light fixture new, and often used, it's kind of the same mentality. Everyone always thinks "I know those are very efficient so that makes sense". Even my father, who is all about efficiency and built his house around that (I mean that quite literally, he designed and basically built his house himself with a few helpers with the main goal of being efficient) always thought my T5HO's were wasteful compared to my tanks with CFL's. Now that his ballasts are going out, he's redoing all the lighting in his house with T5HO's, and explaining to me how much more efficient they are.

Not to go on a personal rant here, I just find it to be hilarious how people can be so set in their ways about things they don't know about, my father (and myself included) but CLF's seem to be that place where the cheap skate, the know it all, in the person who is just scared to change can all seem to come together.

If it's not a super deep tank, you can get away with about 1 bulb for ever 1.5 feet or so. Just increase the wattage if you need more light. Plus it's DIY so people instantly assume it saves a lot of money. I mean it is cheap but fixtures can be had for incredibility cheap now a days.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
For less than the price of those retro kits you can get a new FugeRay that's much better looking.
I agree but I do think this has it's place. I really considered this for an existing PC fixture I already had. It's just an easy way to take advantage of something you have with minimal effort. The other aspect is these came about before the Fugeray's as well. I would likely only consider this if I had an ADA PC fixture at this point.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #18
Warbler
Algae Grower

Alright. So after researching for several hours I seem to be coming to nothing. So now I have some more questions:
For the T5HO lights: I know PARs are difficult to estimate, but would just one of these provide enough light to grow low-medium (I'm specifically thinking of using one of the 6500K ones they sell at Home Depot)? Or on the other hand would it be too much light?
I also found some electronically inclined friends that I might be able to convince to mess around with my lights. Would I be able to get a strip light from a hydroponics store and get it to fit in my hood (appx. 2 feet)? If not, are there any good kits/guides on how to retrofit these lights?

T8 Lights: Would just one of these lights be enough to grow anything in my tank (again thinking of using a 6500K one from Home Depot)? Not too sure on this one, but it seems like the light strips for it are the easiest to find.
If you have any other suggestions please tell me, I'd be more than happy to listen. Might try and toss the LED idea to him, maybe he'll bite...stranger things have happened.
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.