ADA 60P|MicMol AquaMini X2| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #211
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

What's that white thing that looks like a big wad of chewing gum on your hard-scape in the recent tank photo? You trying to give your ottos minty fresh breath?
Also you could probably sell your "glass trashcan" as a 'lil sampler for other members, whats the tiny red stem in there?

Last edited by AquaAurora; 11-19-2013 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: typo
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #212
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well...all good things.... must come to an end right? Maybe I can trim and try to replant.

=======

=======

=======

=======

@ Ach1Ll3sH33L

Could I trim the base of the plant and replant it, leaving the roots in the substrate? I can see a spider web of roots near the glass so I'm certain, fairly certain, I can't uproot it without taking the entire tank. How did you replant yours?

@ talontsiawd

Yeah man, I'm getting a lot of those yellow stems. Theres half yellow, half dead and half growing stems beneath a healthy top layer. I'll trim it and get a better view on how the carpet is, hopefully I can turn this around. By the way, did your ADA Soil turn into mud too? It's compacting so badly in some spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
What's that white thing that looks like a big wad of chewing gum on your hard-scape in the recent tank photo? You trying to give your ottos minty fresh breath?
Also you could probably sell your "glass trashcan" as a 'lil sampler for other members, whats the tiny red stem in there?
Oh hey, wasup man! The white gum is just a stone with mesh, one has mini pella and the other has phoenix moss. I gave away some plants to a local member and he brought me a zip lock bag of them. I can't seem to grow them at all.

I believe the red plant is a Altern. Reineckii, or however it is spelled.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #213
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really love that HC carpet. Is there any trimmings for any of your plants left over?
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #214
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post

@ talontsiawd

Yeah man, I'm getting a lot of those yellow stems. Theres half yellow, half dead and half growing stems beneath a healthy top layer. I'll trim it and get a better view on how the carpet is, hopefully I can turn this around. By the way, did your ADA Soil turn into mud too? It's compacting so badly in some spots.
My AS is just about the same as when I put it in. However, mine is only 3 months old. Probably almost to the day 3 months.

That said, a very trusted member and friend of mine says he is really starting to hate the stuff. He is very frustrated how compact it is now and it's really almost like dirt. He told me, ever since it happened, he has had issues of all sorts. Not that he was the first to tell me but seeing it is differently. In some places, it's totally sediment, no resemblance to AS.

I am wondering if lava rock under AS would be a fix for it breaking down. Part of me thinks it will allow water to continue to flow under broken down AS, part of me thinks it will just get clogged up. I will likely try it on my next tank I am beginning to plan (will be awhile), which will have a crazy slope. I may just reuse black fluorite instead though.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #215
keats
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

My AS is about 3 1/2 months old. I added some floramax I had laying around to the bottom to act as "powersand". Who knows if that plays a role, but my AS is in perfect condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #216
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Aquasoil does tend to break down a little more than most substrates, and releases quite a bit of mulm when you uproot things. The more uprooting you do does tend to break things down a little faster, whereas trimming frequently and aggressively will help some mulm from developing below your h.c carpet. Heres a pretty good example on how to trim..(not my video) you can trim lower, all the way down to the substrate and things will grow back nicely.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #217
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
I really love that HC carpet. Is there any trimmings for any of your plants left over?
Yes there is, but I doubt you will want to pay shipping from Toronto Canada.

We're getting pretty popular lately, thanks to Mr. Ford
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #218
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Wow that carpet is crazy. You can definitely hack it all the way down to the substrate and it will recover just fine, even if it is yellow. Yours is so thick you may even be able to cut out entire chunks/patches out it at once. Check out my thread to see what not to do when you trim HC and see what other people suggested. The first picture is after I already had removed 80% of the clippings float around.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #219
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

^ Good sir! I bow down to your HC Cuba carpet. That thing is a monster, I like the consistency of your growth, a problem I have yet to solve.

How your AS Soil holding up? Did it turn into mud because mine is. I don't want to spend another 50 bucks for a bag when I end up suctioning out the crumbles. I'm positive I'm missing a good amount of soil. It's all compacted and crush in the front.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #220
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
^ Good sir! I bow down to your HC Cuba carpet. That thing is a monster, I like the consistency of your growth, a problem I have yet to solve.

How your AS Soil holding up? Did it turn into mud because mine is. I don't want to spend another 50 bucks for a bag when I end up suctioning out the crumbles. I'm positive I'm missing a good amount of soil. It's all compacted and crush in the front.
My HC carpet barely grew at all in 2-3 months with high light and CO2. But then I started dosing phosphorous and the growth took off like crazy.

I took down that tank years ago, but you can see here in a clearer picture that the top layer of my AS kinda dissolved/broke down.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #221
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

^ That exactly the type of stuff I tried sucking out, which eventually reduces the amount of soil in the tank.

I'm not even a full year in and the stuff is already breaking down.

Hey, you got any more pics of your carpet before you added P? Was it growing on top of each other rather than spreading?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #222
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

I figured out why my iPhone 5S was taking bad pictures. I forgot to remove the back film.

Here some test pictures of a wabi-kusa I'm testing. It's the North American version of a wabi-kusa. Enjoi

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

The thing I hate about the new iPhone is the headphone jack. I use a aux plug for my car and I can't put the phone in the cup holder anymore. It just kind of flops around in there.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #223
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Nice pictures, Tony. Very modern sci-fi-ESK. How do you keep the humidity high for that HC?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #224
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

For your phone you just need a holder with the aux jack at the bottom. Like the belkin tunebase. I had the same problem, but I didnt want to buy a base so I just put my phone upsidedown everywhere, or use a bluetooth receiver.

Anyways, what is that fancy container you have your wabi in?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #225
design_desire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Anyways, what is that fancy container you have your wabi in?
It looks like the bottom half of an Apple Magic Mouse container.

Starting Small! ~60L Iwagumi Journal! Needs updating...

Progress: Algae is (finally) under control with new plants that are establishing well. I think I'm about to start fertilising... :S
design_desire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ada 60p matheson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.