My First Iwagumi 10 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
chillip
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My First Iwagumi 10 Gallon

This is my first attempt at an iwagumi tank. I'm on a really tight budget so I'm guessing this tank will take a while to get going. Right now it's about 4 weeks in and I think the HC is finally starting to take root and I'm seeing some new growth with the dry start method.

After the HC fills in I'm planning to fill the tank. Any suggestions to what I should stock after filling? I was thinking cardinal tetras and RCS to start with. Would I need anything else to help with algae or any other problems.

I'm trying to do this on a budget and my fully set up tank looks like it will be around $300. Not sure if that's good or not but it seems low to me since I had zero suppies to start out with.

I'm planning to filter with an Eheim 2213 and use lily pipes, glass CO2 diffuser (with DIY CO2) and a CO2 drop checker in the tank to make it look more clean inside the tank (wish I could afford a rimless tank but its not a big deal). I've done a lot of research on this but is there anything else I might need in the tank?

If you got any supplies that I still need and are willing to sell (or give) feel free to message me:
Eheim 2213
Lily Pipes
MORE HC
Cardinal Tetras
Red Cherry Shrimp

Here's my progress so far from weeks 1-4

Slowly but surely it's growing....
chillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

personally for me, I feel like cardinals and neons are too big to be properly fit for a tank such as a ten gallon as they prefer to be in schools (the more the better). this meaning that you can only fit so many tetras in a 10 gallon tank. if your going to get some sort of schooling fish try something a bit smaller? this is just my personal opinion. the DSM looks like it's coming along very nicely though! remember to crank the co2 when you fill it up and make sure the HC has all the nutrients available that it needs or else when you flood it will die off. when you flood it is normal to see some die off because of the transition.
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
chillip
Algae Grower

Any suggestions on small fish that would go well with iwagumi? I read somewhere that the cardinals are too big for a 10 gallon, but they look so good with other iwagumi tanks. I got a long way to go before I fill it but I'll have my CO2 ready to go when I do
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
chillip
Algae Grower

So its been another 4 weeks since my last update. The HC is growing, but not all of the areas are growing at the same rate. The patch on the top of the mountain is growing the most while some other patches in lower areas are growing a little and some have barely any growth.... I'm running my lights 6 hours a day and the tank is covered with saran wrap with the corners opened up for gas exchange.

I also noticed that some patches have some brown leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be occuring and how to fix it? I've also started to cut off some of the runners from the top patch and plant them in other areas to speed up growth. This is taking longer than expected, but I did only start with two pots of HC. Here is a picture of the browning leaves

Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
urbach
Planted Member

Its your lighting issue. Recommend T5HO 24watts 6500k each tube. As for fishes, galaxy rasbora, rasbora briggette, mosquito rasbora are about 1inch. They are schooling fish. Badis(scarlet gem badis) another small fish but they usually stays at the bottom hiding among plants and stone.
urbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
chillip
Algae Grower

When you say there's a lighting issue what is the cause? Is it not enough lighting or too long of a light duration? I'm running 2 23 watt 6500K cfls in the shop light dome attachments and two of the domes perfectly cover the entire top of the tank. I'm on a tight budget so I cant afford new lighting like you suggested even though I know itd be better
Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
urbach
Planted Member

You have uneven spread of light. Read about cfls and tubelight here.

http://www.bijlibachao.com/Lights/ar...be-lights.html
urbach is online now   Reply With Quote