48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #286
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Cool Deal!

I was given some fish a while back and there was 1 Gold Barb in the group, and it looks a bit different than yours. Not near as much black in the scales, but I like the look of both of them! Wonder if there is different types of gold barbs, or maybe just from a different area. Either way I really like them! I put the lone Gold Barb and cherry Barb in my 55g the other day, and I am really liking them both! I will try to get a pic tomorrow of the Gold Barb so you can see what i am talking about!

I really like dwarf Puffers too! I have never been able to find any healthy stock locally, so I have not had the chance to keep them, YET! I plan on trying to find some this winter after we rearrange the living room. I want to setup a small tank next to my recliner for them.

Anyway keep up the GREAT WORK, and I look forward to seeing how the tank progresses!
Drew

p.s. Where did you get your Bamboo Shrimp? Our PetCo has them here all of the time, but after trying them a few different times, I gave up on keeping them! They would only last a few days in any tank I tried them in! They seem to be able to survive at our PetCo SOME HOW!!! But when I tried them in a tank setup exactly how they are supposed to be kept they died! Any Suggestions? Thanks Again!
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #287
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Cool Deal!

p.s. Where did you get your Bamboo Shrimp? Our PetCo has them here all of the time, but after trying them a few different times, I gave up on keeping them! They would only last a few days in any tank I tried them in! They seem to be able to survive at our PetCo SOME HOW!!! But when I tried them in a tank setup exactly how they are supposed to be kept they died! Any Suggestions? Thanks Again!
From a local fish store. I don't purchase fish from large chain stores as they are most always of questionable health (at least in my area).

I don't do much for them, just make sure that my kh is around 4-5dkh and I dose calcium+magnesium as part of my gh dosing routine.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #288
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
The puffers sadly did not fair well in here. They now have a dedicated 10 gallon just for them (I have another thread for that tank).

Current livestock:
- 6 gold barbs
- 30 cardinal tetras
- 6 jullii corydoras
- 10 otos (I think, they hide a lot so its hard to count)
- 6 blue rams
- 2 dwarf aquatic frogs
- 2 bamboo shrimp
how are you keeping the frogs and shrimp from climbing/jumping out?
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #289
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
how are you keeping the frogs and shrimp from climbing/jumping out?
Keeping the water level an inch below the edge.. and a lot of luck
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #290
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
Keeping the water level an inch below the edge.. and a lot of luck
i've had a 2 bamboo's and they've always gone missing. Not shortly after letting them in, but maybe a few weeks or months before they disappear.

I suspect my dogs having excellent sashimi snacks with them.

Frogs would be even more risky!

beautiful tank with alot of work put in!
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #291
mountaindew
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well done and very clean system.
I like the technology under the hood ! You don't see many systems with top of the line proflux controllers and dosing pumps.
Md
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #292
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
Well done and very clean system.
I like the technology under the hood ! You don't see many systems with top of the line proflux controllers and dosing pumps.
Md
Price is a major factor for a lot of people. They arent exactly the cheapest controllers but they are loaded with tons of options. I swear by them
Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #293
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

So I'm finally getting around to picking up my Co2 reactor this weekend. I dug up a few more parts from my storage bins and put together the first parts of the rig.

This is the reactor (I am picking it up tomorrow, this is a stock image from aqua medic)

The unit is pretty simple, like most reactors. On the top side there is a Co2 inlet, and a bleeder valve, along with the plumbing connections. I will have an inline pump (mag drive 3, 350gph) pulling water from the tank, and pushing it into the reactor.

Connected to a venturi on the inlet side of the pump is a solenoid. I will have the bleeder valve connected to this solenoid so a few times a day it will open and remix any collected gas into the water column.

I will have the bleeder valve open every morning before Co2 starts injecting to try and burp anything out of the reactor. Hopefully this will break up any large gas pockets and push it out. Alternately I might connect the bleeder valve to another pump to suck out gas if this arrangement doesnt work.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #294
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've seen that reactor for sale on several websites throughout the years and have always wondered about it's effectiveness. With the amount of gph from the mag drive I doubt there will be any form of c02 buildup at the top of the reactor, a problem I have encountered if you have a lack of flow going through the unit.

I have tried multiple reactors, DIY, and atomic inline diffusion. None of which have worked very well with my eheims low flow. For now my ceramic diffusor is giving me superior results.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #295
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Forget the setup, the contents of that tank look great! The fish really pop out against those plants, nice work.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #296
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
I've seen that reactor for sale on several websites throughout the years and have always wondered about it's effectiveness. With the amount of gph from the mag drive I doubt there will be any form of c02 buildup at the top of the reactor, a problem I have encountered if you have a lack of flow going through the unit.

I have tried multiple reactors, DIY, and atomic inline diffusion. None of which have worked very well with my eheims low flow. For now my ceramic diffusor is giving me superior results.
I used to own own of these reactors and absolutely loved it. I used to run on the filter inlet side of my aquarium
and it still worked well. I decided to give it a dedicated pump this time around though.

Just did a test run of the plumbing and scrapped the solenoid though. Small air leak in it from sitting so long. No biggie. I can manually bleed it if I have to.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #297
HortGuy
Algae Grower

With the success of your take I was curious if you have had pearling from your plants. Nothing has really been said about it.

Love the tank, you sent me the link to this thread from your reddit update the other day. I thank you for this link. I prob spent the last 2.5 hours reading through every post. I have already started researching the parts I want from a lot of yours for my future tank build. I thank you for the inspiration and please keep doing what your doing.

Also where did you find your LED lights, or wear can I find individual lights like yours and what are they mounted on?

Last edited by HortGuy; 11-26-2013 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Thought of another question
HortGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #298
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

nice saltwater setup! lol jk looks great!
ADAtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #299
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortGuy View Post
With the success of your take I was curious if you have had pearling from your plants. Nothing has really been said about it.

Love the tank, you sent me the link to this thread from your reddit update the other day. I thank you for this link. I prob spent the last 2.5 hours reading through every post. I have already started researching the parts I want from a lot of yours for my future tank build. I thank you for the inspiration and please keep doing what your doing.

Also where did you find your LED lights, or wear can I find individual lights like yours and what are they mounted on?
My plants have been pearling.. albiet slowly.. since the start. This week I finally sat doen and crunched some numbers, did some testing and made major changes.

I have redone my fertlizing routine as a very aggressive ei method with additional potassium and iron. Also manually dosing calcium/magnesium. On top of the fertlizer update the new co2 reactor has really helped with co2 delivery and efficiency.

The tank now bubbles like crazy, its like soda water when then lights are at 100%.

I ordered my heatsinks from heatsinkusa.com and the leds are from rapidled.com. All of my drivers were from rapidled as well. I built the units myself. Lots of thermal adhesive... soldering etc.

Last edited by GDominy; 11-26-2013 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #300
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAtank View Post
nice saltwater setup! lol jk looks great!
Heheh I get this comment a lot. Believe it or not a lot of this equipment was from my planted tanks from 2007-2008. It then ran several reef tanks... and back to planted.

I am soooooo happy to be doing plants again.