What is your favorite substrate? Custom/Retail - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Miracle gro capped with Safe T Sorb. Excellent results, looks great, and I don't think you can find anything cheaper.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
And speaking of, I had a vision...more like a nightmare..that I would go to my cousins farm, collect some horse poop, dry it
and mix it with plain fine gravel as a substrate to simulate the decaying plant matter in/on the bottom of a pond.
Has anyone ever tried this successfully ? Bet I'm asking for mega algae at the least.....
Two words...Toxic Ten

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for saving me some time and dead whatever.
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Elassoma_sailor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am in love with ADA aquasoil and Seachem flourite! They are by far my favorite.
Elassoma_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
NickMach007
Wet Sleeve Club President

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Always something new to try...

That sounds very reasonable. Next year I may give the Eco a try. I mentioned this to my wife (breaking down the tank maybe next summer and trying a new scape) and it almost caused a divorce I think. I never used to understand why people messed around with their scapes so much, but I get it now. While the dirt isn't too dirty for me, this is also my first planted tank and I really just wanted to learn how to do it. Once I've had the tank running for about 8-12 months I may break it down and try something new. There are so many things I have learned this time around (and will continue to learn over the next several months). But there are also things I would do very differently. I think that's what makes it fun (and frustrating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
I haven't tried the Stratum. I have done Eco with MTS and I have done Aquasoil with Eco. I have used Flourite in the past and don't like the overall texture, it is a lot more flat and it is super dirty. You can see that for me I can't handle mess and the reason isn't OCD it is because I am constantly rescaping little section here and there to get it just right. And slow release pellets are going to provide way more balanced nutrients than even MTS. I know you are using it right now which is fine. It is always nice to find your own method. But I am done with all that jazz. The more you get into it the easier you want it to be. That's why people turn to Neptune Apex controllers and what not. For me Eco with Osmocote+ and Aquavitro grows plants amazingly well and I don't have to work as hard and I do very little water changes. Now Aquasoil works just as good I just don't think plants root very well in it. I know everyone would probably disagree, but my plants do way better in Eco than in Aquasoil. And with shipping it IS more expensive.
NickMach007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
NickMach007
Wet Sleeve Club President

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yeah, I've seen that too-- definitely an interesting experiment. Though not one I will be trying myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Two words...Toxic Ten

NickMach007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Plain old top soil, or miracle grow organic choice mixed with a bit of plain unscented cat litter and peat.
Why? cause it produces desired result's much more cheaply than specialty substrates I have tried.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #23
Cokeman
Algae Grower

What does the cat litter do?
Cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
What does the cat litter do?

It's just a cheap, readily available, inert clay-based substrate, and it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity), this enables the substrate to temporarily 'hold' nutrients and such, and the plants can then 'take' the nutrients from the substrate.

Just make sure you get a basic, natural type, with no scents/colors/etc. Some types hold up okay, others turn to mush after being wet for a bit. Still good for plants, but can make a mess when disturbed.
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
It's just a cheap, readily available, inert clay-based substrate, and it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity), this enables the substrate to temporarily 'hold' nutrients and such, and the plants can then 'take' the nutrients from the substrate.

Just make sure you get a basic, natural type, with no scents/colors/etc. Some types hold up okay, others turn to mush after being wet for a bit. Still good for plants, but can make a mess when disturbed.
I have not used this but do use API First Layer Pure Laterite which, if you read the label is the same basic material.
But at $13 for a 55oz box. But I mentioned it because some plants prefer clay to other soils. I have one such plant in my
tank and it's actually a "bog" plant which I "collected" from the wild and it was growing in clay where I found it.
Of course you would need to Google the plant to see if you wanted to.
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #26
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Dirt capped with sand, preferably black blasting sand. Currently working with rabbit poop and worm castings. Partially decomposed peat moss is good too. As for the retail substrates, I go with Eco-Complete.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #27
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My favorite substrate so far is Quickrete all purpose sand washed thoroughly.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
5BodyBlade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Howdy Dave. I like my Turface. It can be a bit light for planting, especially small stemmed plants, but once established they grow well. I've been toying around with the idea of crushing the granules up slightly to make planting easier and keep the high CEC properties.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
5BodyBlade is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquasoil, dirt, ecocomplete, roottabs, substrate