Sneak peak at the new plant light! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Aurie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking at this for my 46 bow. 20 inches from light to substrate. Any info on par for that height? Maybe a price (ish) to know if I can even afford it. I'm on a tight budget after buying planted + for my low light 55

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

A wire suspension kit is a wise thing to offer any planted tank person.
Also, make sure it can work with the Apex and Neptune controllers.

Getting good red coloration out of plants is a sticking point for a lot of LED's compared to the T5's and PC lights. Reefs are fine, but they focused a lot more on that market because the market is MUCH larger than the plant market.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Current USA
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
January?? I'm turning blue from holding my breath! I can't even show it off for my thanksgiving or christmas parties....
okay okay, where are my manners. Thanks for coming through with it. Can't wait!
Not a problem! Thanks for waiting!!

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
Looking at this for my 46 bow. 20 inches from light to substrate. Any info on par for that height? Maybe a price (ish) to know if I can even afford it. I'm on a tight budget after buying planted + for my low light 55

Par in clear water on 20" tank will be about 70 micromoles. It's a rough estimate but on a cloudy 24" tank it was 60 micromoles.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
A wire suspension kit is a wise thing to offer any planted tank person.
Also, make sure it can work with the Apex and Neptune controllers.

Getting good red coloration out of plants is a sticking point for a lot of LED's compared to the T5's and PC lights. Reefs are fine, but they focused a lot more on that market because the market is MUCH larger than the plant market.
Hey Tom,

There will be a compatible hanging kit. Not sure if it comes with the light though.

Neptune and Apex I believe are only 2 channel controllers and this light has 4 channels. This light comes with a 4 channel controller so don't think there's a need for other controls.

Also, hearing from product dev guys, Neptune and Apex aren't looking into getting to freshwater LED market. Hopefully that changes soon.

Here's a good thread that vouches for Satellite LED's red spectrum: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ed+plus+colors

With RGB LEDs that are adjustable in colors, it's fairly easy to adjust to the perfect setting you want. It will be the same with this light.

Feel free to email me if you want to check it out!

Kevin

Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
Aurie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'm OK with rough guesses. If it was uber high I'd have to forgo this light. I can't do co2 in my house. Hubby is paranoid. I'm OK with slow happy growth.

Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #22
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just wondering if this will be one line of LED's or two?
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Neptune and Apex I believe are only 2 channel controllers and this light has 4 channels. This light comes with a 4 channel controller so don't think there's a need for other controls.

Also, hearing from product dev guys, Neptune and Apex aren't looking into getting to freshwater LED market. Hopefully that changes soon.
Neptune and Apex is the same controller. Neptune is the company, Apex is the model.

The Apex controller can control up to 4 channels and can be expandable to more with a VDM module. If this light was Apex compatible then there would be no need for the Current USA controller. This is a huge turn off to me as it appears Current USA is trying to make a proprietary light that is not compatible with other controls to force you to purchase one of your controllers. That seems like that would deter sales of this light for those of us with Apex controllers as Apex is an all in one controller and is the reason we purchased it so we have control over every aspect of our tanks without the need for additional controllers.

This has nothing to do with Neptune looking to get into the Freshwater market. They really don't have to in order to accommodate lighting demands from it's clientele. It is up to the lighting fixture LED companies to make their fixtures compatible with Apex controllers. I don't see how that is such a hard task considering BML has made their light compatible with Apex controllers.

Also I think what a lot of people are curious about because it has often been overlooked and mislead with the Satellite+ is being able to ramp down from day light into moonlight and then ramp up from moonlight to daylight. We were told the Satellite+ could do this when in fact it can't do this. It can dim but it dims to off. There is no dull ch ramping which this light can do but there is no controller that allows this feature to be controlled on this fixture. Not from day to moon and back to day in a smooth seamless transition. This can be done with this light because there are some DIY controllers that have accomplished this. As long as this option is available and for a fraction of the cost then what use will the Ramp Timer Pro be to anyone? Also with no Apex control this will deter people to fixtures that have Apex compatibility. This is something that a lot of people have been requesting this not just from Current but from anyone who will listen. I understand you're trying to make an affordable light but there are some including me who would pay a little more for this feature if it came down to that. This is a great fixture with a lot of features, it just lacks the ability to be customized to tailor peoples needs.

@Swoof, this is a single row of super bright LEDs
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Also I think what a lot of people are curious about because it has often been overlooked and mislead with the Satellite+ is being able to ramp down from day light into moonlight and then ramp up from moonlight to daylight. We were told the Satellite+ could do this when in fact it can't do this. It can dim but it dims to off. There is no dull ch ramping which this light can do but there is no controller that allows this feature to be controlled on this fixture. Not from day to moon and back to day in a smooth seamless transition. This can be done with this light because there are some DIY controllers that have accomplished this. As long as this option is available and for a fraction of the cost then what use will the Ramp Timer Pro be to anyone?
this is exactly what I was trying to find out and I feel like the answers were somewhat misleading. What's the point of a ramp timer on a 4LED light if when I come home from work at the end of the day my light is already turned off and I can't enjoy my moonlights w/out futzing w/ the timer? I want a set-and-forget daylight to moonlight (ideally then to off) back to daylight cycle.

Where are those DIY controllers?
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #25
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
this is exactly what I was trying to find out and I feel like the answers were somewhat misleading. What's the point of a ramp timer on a 4LED light if when I come home from work at the end of the day my light is already turned off and I can't enjoy my moonlights w/out futzing w/ the timer? I want a set-and-forget daylight to moonlight (ideally then to off) back to daylight cycle.

Exactly, this is nothing but a overpriced glorified timer.

You can find the DIY controller from the link. Even allows you to set up random storms. This controller is advancing and being developed more as time goes on and already does more than the Ramp Timer Pro can provide for this light and for cheaper.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391265
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
Just wondering if this will be one line of LED's or two?
one line of VERY powerful LEDs

Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post

Hey guys, I'm sorry if you felt misled. The moonlight function we promised is in the minimum intensity. You can set any color you'd like to 5%, 10% or whatever intensity you'd like for any period of time you'd to be used as moonlights.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
Current USA
Sponsor

Sorry I'm personally not familiar with those controllers. Our engineers and product dev guys are the ones that connect with other companies to make things compatible. There is quite a bit more than just us making it compatible. Other companies have to be willing to make it compatible for specific product. I don't understand the fine details but we can only do so much on our end. I can guarantee you all it's not our end that's preventing compatibility with other products. The more things we're compatible with, the more we could sell. Our timers are on different ends of the spectrum and I do not believe they compete at all. But honestly, how many freshwater hobbyist would use the higher end controllers from apex. our goal was to take those functionalities and take it down a notch to make it useful for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Neptune and Apex is the same controller. Neptune is the company, Apex is the model.

The Apex controller can control up to 4 channels and can be expandable to more with a VDM module. If this light was Apex compatible then there would be no need for the Current USA controller. This is a huge turn off to me as it appears Current USA is trying to make a proprietary light that is not compatible with other controls to force you to purchase one of your controllers. That seems like that would deter sales of this light for those of us with Apex controllers as Apex is an all in one controller and is the reason we purchased it so we have control over every aspect of our tanks without the need for additional controllers.

This has nothing to do with Neptune looking to get into the Freshwater market. They really don't have to in order to accommodate lighting demands from it's clientele. It is up to the lighting fixture LED companies to make their fixtures compatible with Apex controllers. I don't see how that is such a hard task considering BML has made their light compatible with Apex controllers.

Also I think what a lot of people are curious about because it has often been overlooked and mislead with the Satellite+ is being able to ramp down from day light into moonlight and then ramp up from moonlight to daylight. We were told the Satellite+ could do this when in fact it can't do this. It can dim but it dims to off. There is no dull ch ramping which this light can do but there is no controller that allows this feature to be controlled on this fixture. Not from day to moon and back to day in a smooth seamless transition. This can be done with this light because there are some DIY controllers that have accomplished this. As long as this option is available and for a fraction of the cost then what use will the Ramp Timer Pro be to anyone? Also with no Apex control this will deter people to fixtures that have Apex compatibility. This is something that a lot of people have been requesting this not just from Current but from anyone who will listen. I understand you're trying to make an affordable light but there are some including me who would pay a little more for this feature if it came down to that. This is a great fixture with a lot of features, it just lacks the ability to be customized to tailor peoples needs.

@Swoof, this is a single row of super bright LEDs

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm sorry if you felt misled. The moonlight function we promised is in the minimum intensity. You can set any color you'd like to 5%, 10% or whatever intensity you'd like for any period of time you'd to be used as moonlights.
Hopefully I'm speaking for everyone when I say we really appreciate your willingness to have the dialogue and be a active in the community. I'm keeping my Satellite + and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a timer from you that will allow me to do what I am trying to do.

Please please please pass our feedback along to your product devs and engineers. I think everyone who is looking at a 4LED light is going to want the ability to set a timer to turn their lights on in the morning (at any color temperature they choose), fade the lights to moonlight in the evening, and potentially fade to off for latenight before fading back on the next morning.

As a use-case. my T5HO before this had a separate power cable for the moonlights so I could put them on separate timer schedules. Now that I have replaced it with the Satellite+ I have stopped using the timers so I can enjoy the moonlights in the evening and my lighting schedule is totally irregular now based on when I leave for and return home from work.

In the meantime I'll try to figure out if I'm savvy enough to work with an arduino or can pay someone to sell me a pre-made intelligent timer.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry I'm personally not familiar with those controllers. Our engineers and product dev guys are the ones that connect with other companies to make things compatible. There is quite a bit more than just us making it compatible. Other companies have to be willing to make it compatible for specific product. I don't understand the fine details but we can only do so much on our end. I can guarantee you all it's not our end that's preventing compatibility with other products. The more things we're compatible with, the more we could sell. Our timers are on different ends of the spectrum and I do not believe they compete at all. But honestly, how many freshwater hobbyist would use the higher end controllers from apex. our goal was to take those functionalities and take it down a notch to make it useful for the rest of us.
The product dev guys got back to me with this:

1. Apex is a 2 channel control. Satellite plus is a 4 channel light. Unless we get rid of some of the functions you all love, it won't be able to be controlled with apex.
2. Apex controllers cannot control RGB leds.
3. Our goals for every product is to make it simple and easy to use with functionality at a affordable price. There will always be room for improvement for more. We could do it, but we always have to ask ourselves, can we do it affordably and not sacrifice user experience.
4. If apex is willing to contact us to upgrade their systems to support our light's versatility, we will do it.