How to set up new Eheim. What adapters, tubes, etc.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
asmodion
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm seriously considering a move to canister filters. Cost is not really a factor, and I want to get the best I can.

It appears that the best choice for me would be a 2028, as I have a 75g tank, and I'm very happy with my current heater so I don't need a 2128.

What exactly does the setup look like for one of these? I assume there is a single inflow, and a single outflow. Do you typically use an overflow box like with a wet/dry trickle filter? On the outflow, is there a lot of pressure which needs to be directed or diffused? What do you guys use for tubing? Hard PVC, flex-tube, etc?

Another important question. I have a Turbotwist UV sterilizer, currently hooked up through a bunch of flexible and hard PVC piping. I have it set up with a small powerhead which is immersed, and pushes the water through from one end of the tank, through the UV unit, and is deposited on the other end of the tank (top of the water column). I would LOVE to put this thing in-line with the Eheim, but flow-rate must be low for it to function.

Has anyone else used a UV unit in-line with their Eheim? Is there a reasonable way to keep the flow-rate through the sterilizer low, and still feed the Eheim properly (through the same plumbing). Maybe branch the output so only half goes through the sterilizer thereby taking 1/2 of the flow rate... ie:
............................................/===(UV)====\
(Tank)==>==(eheim)==>==|.................... ....|==> to tank
............................................\===== =====/

"=" pipe
"/" or "\" split
"." spacer so formatting of whitespace doesn't screw me up

Thoughts? Pics would be great if I could see the setup I could imagine how I would need to do it.
10g African fry tank 1- flourite+sand substrate, 20w lighting
10g African fry tank 2- bare-bottom with java moss
asmodion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
mario
Planted Member

Your setup will work, if you insert a ball valve in front of the UV sterilizer. Otherwise you have no way of regulating how much water will go through either branch of you plumbing setup.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
asmodion
Algae Grower

Well what I really wanted to know, was how folks usually set these up.
  • Do you have pre-drilled tank floors?
    Do you diffuse output?
    Do you use sprayers as output?
    Do you output above the surface or below? (reduce agitation)
    Where to you pull water from? (high/low in water column)
    Where do you output in relation to your heater?
    What diameter hose is common, recommended?
    What types of connectors do you use on the actual unit?
10g African fry tank 1- flourite+sand substrate, 20w lighting
10g African fry tank 2- bare-bottom with java moss
asmodion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
mario
Planted Member

Oh, the Eheim filter comes with everything you need to set it up. If you want to split the outflow you need one y-splitter, a ball valve, barbed adapters and some hose clamps.

Usually Eheims are set up with hoses going into the tank over the back. The inlet has a little strainer (or you can buy and additional pre-filter) and the output is a spray-bar.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am thinking of doing a similar thing, but also including a CO2 reactor inline with the UV. I think I will have to put ball valves on both lines after the splitter. This is because water will want to take the path of least resistance, so that if the UV ster. and CO2 reactor have more flow restrictions than the bypass, you will have no way of controling the flow to this side. If there is a ball valve on the bypass, you can turn it down, forcing more water throught the sterilizer/reactor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.