frroK's ADA Mini-M REDUX ! --journey complete - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #136
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
ok whoa!! just finished reading your journal. man, you have been on quite the journey with the tank. I showed my wife the youtube video you took and said "see, that's a cool little tank out there on the rock. yeah?" she agreed.

But man oh man did the algae monster come looking for you!! But first off, let me say, I think your tank looks awesome right now. It looks like it is starting to bounce back in a major way but it may be too late if it is starting to get under your skin. I think by January it should be pretty lush. The mini m's are hard because it is such a small amount of water. And when you start tinkering with it to address a problem that arises like bga, aquarists like ourselves feel like we are chasing after the wind. I forget who wrote the comment in this thread, but somebody had mentioned that it may be fortuitous to simplify. Once you start throwing erythromycin into the water the road can get quite bumpy.

Did you say that you measured the PAR from this light? What is your photoperiod btw? I've only had bga issues once in a 29g more than 10 years ago....whoa. I remember I had manually removed it and increased the water flow which seemed to help. How often do you clean your filter? Once a month? Do you change the filter floss media for the 2211 near the propeller? I change mine every three weeks or so and replace it with batting. It always gets way dirtier than I imagined and has a dramatic effect on the water flow.

What's also hard with these small tanks is that when we address a problem or change a particular aspect pertaining to the water quality, we want to see results immediately. sometimes it takes weeks before we see results and take notice of how our plants respond. but if the result doesn't formulate sooner, we go at it harder. I'm speaking solely for myself and my experiences here but I think you may be able to glean something out of this diatribe I'm having.

Not sure what your tank regiment is like, but I think you should rinse your filter media, switch out the filter floss, raise the light on your tank a few inches higher, reduce your photo period to 6 hours and manually remove any algae you see along the way. bga is a bacterial problem, which your most aware of, but maybe these little adjustments will calm the algae storm. I've read how cyanobacteria thrives off of the smallest available nutrients, but don't let that keep you from dosing. and don't forget the co2. keep it cranking if you don't have any fauna in there. This all should buy you some time and maybe make the tank more manageable. And those plants will grow. they will most definitely grow.

clean filter, ample light (you don't need high light intensity for those plants), more than adequate co2, and ferts and you will be ok.

Not sure what you will need to do when you go away for your trip that you mentioned. You could possible raise the light even higher when you are gone and keep the photoperiod to 6 hours and your nutrient co2 demand will be more manageable in your absence. just some thoughts for the surfing aquarist out on the rock.

-w
Thanks for reading my journal. I believe I shortened my photoperiod to 7 hours now. I've also raised my lighting and over the weekend I finally put in a shade so there should be no sunlight issues from now. I just feel this tank has been cursed from the beginning. Lol. Cyano is actually not much if an issue anymore. It's more BBA Now. But I have a plan in place to fight it. The slow growth thing is definitely bumming me out though. And the HC issue. Really don't understand why it would not want to spread. Anyway, I'm going to see this tank through until the holidays but I won't be adding anymore livestock. Not sure if I'll try HC again. Might go a different route on plants. We'll see. I really loved this hardscape it's just too bad the layout didn't quite come out how I envisioned it in my head. But hey, I'm still learning and I consider myself a newbie as far as aquascaping goes. Let's see what the next scape brings... Oh and the PAR is 55 @14 inches. Give or take...
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #137
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Tank is kind of on its way back. Things are growing and algae is at bay. So let's see if my plan works out... I'll take an update shot soon.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #138
frrok
Wannabe Guru

11/7. Its been a little over a week and as you can there is def some improvement on growth. Also, I think i've managed to hold off the BBA. I think that adding a shade to the window that is next to my tank, dramatically decreased the rate of algae growth. Also do not get as much on the glass after a week. I still am a little disappointed on the growth of the hair grass... I would have liked it to growth a little taller behind the E.tennelus. Under this light it grows shorter and slower. Which, according to my research, it should grow as weed and certainly taller. The belem hair grass is a stark difference, it is spreading at a nice pace. not super fast but enough to where I am seeing progress. Belem growth pattern is a definitely different to regular dhg, as it grows shorter and curves down toward the substrate. it will have a nice effect once fully carpeted. thats all for now.. let me know what you think...

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #139
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

lookin good! maybe I can send you some e. acicularis from my tank once I thin it out some to grow in the back behind the e. tenellus if you are having some issues. mine gets over 9" and grows like mad.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #140
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
lookin good! maybe I can send you some e. acicularis from my tank once I thin it out some to grow in the back behind the e. tenellus if you are having some issues. mine gets over 9" and grows like mad.
Ok cool man. Thanks so much. I actually have a whole bunch growing in my emmersed tank right now. I originally bought mine from pacific and it was tall. But as it transitioned the new growth seemed to be shorter. Maybe it has something to do with LEDs? I have pretty strong lighting. I know there are differences in growth patterns between t5/fluorescents and LED. a neat experiment would be to test it out under t5... See what happens.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #141
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

ok cool. looks like you have the e. acicularis on backup already so you won't need any from over here. pretty sure the plant that pacific gets is grown emersed in those cups and then they submerge it in their tanks when they get it. sometimes they get them with flowers on it too, which I've never seen underwater. they just put some new tanks in the back of their shop (a long overdo update). Waiting for them to get some male endlers in for my edge. glad you didn't give up on the tank. it looks great cleaned!! these little tanks need crazy maintenance for them to keep looking good with high light over them. I'm sure the window shade is working wonders. sunlight can really get the algae going. for your bba have you upped your co2? I noticed a small tuft appearing on one of my rocks. It wasn't black though, it was light green but looked just like a bba tuft. I increased the co2 and everything is peaches now. You bleached your atomic diffuser right? I picked up an acid wash for my inline diffuser from GLA which is amazing. three drops of it cleans it pretty well if you let it sit for more than 30 minutes. I read somewhere not to use bleach on the atomic diffusers? I'm not sure what it does exactly to it though. anyway. co2 fluctuations can be a big issue too. another thing to keep maintained. lookin good. keep it up!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #142
frrok
Wannabe Guru

After my water change yesterday I decided to try something out. I lowered my light! I know I know. I'm asking for trouble. But I'm hoping it will spark some life back into my HC. All in all things look ok. Well see what happens in another month. Latest shot:
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #143
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Growth are the tennelus is now almost daily or every other day. Pretty crazy. Hair algae starting to form tho and BGA rearing it's ugly head. What a battle. Can't wait to take it all down and start completely fresh! Lol.
What do I have to do to get the HC to grow faster and carpet. It's pearling tho...
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #144
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Change that title!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #145
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Change that title!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haha...done. wish I could get fish but not really worth it since I'm going away in January. can't depend on anyone to look after the tank since ill be gone for 2 weeks.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #146
frrok
Wannabe Guru

growing. and so is hair algae. not sweating it. i see a little HC growth as well. if you compare the last photo to this one, you'll notice it. also, my atomic went kaput. i think cleaning it with bleach ruined it but I'm not really sure. so i put in a glass diffusor. may be the reason why i have algae. inconstistant co2? if I get a chance this weekend, I'll take a nicer photo.

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #147
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

I'd bet that diffuser is the cause of the algae. The scape is filling in nice and coming together. Looks great.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #148
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
I'd bet that diffuser is the cause of the algae. The scape is filling in nice and coming together. Looks great.
Thanks bud. I really didn't believe it would look this nice. Haha. I'm going to set up one nice photo before I tear it down. Already have some ideas for a new scape!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #149
DizzyD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the way you have your rocks. Looks very simple and neat.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #150
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

yeah. I've heard that bleach will do that with the atomic diffusers. I acid wash mine every three weeks or so. works well. inconsistent co2 is definitely a plausible algae inhibitor. glad you didn't take the tank down yet. I'd love to see the repens fill in and thrive more and get lush throughout the background maybe even replace what you have in the bg. but that's just where my mind goes. looks good.