Brian's ADA 60P (Ver. 2.5) + Ecoxotic E-Series (Starts Pg 34) - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #226
RyanMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Brian, I know you're trying PPS-Pro, but that may be a lot of work to dial in, and remain consistent. Even the slightest change could begin to bloom algae if you get below the desired levels. Ever considered dosing EI and just stuffing those plants with everything they need? It might be a waste of fertilizer but not nearly enough to become a problem. Then all you'd need to do is monitor your CO2 for proper diffusion and circulation.
RyanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #227
RyanMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't wanna tell you what to do... I just wanted to give a suggestion! It could make life easier.
RyanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #228
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)
Default Brian's - ADA 60P - Satellite LED+ to the power of 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Thanks guys for helping ID the stuff. I need to test for PO4 and come up with a better solution of dosing it at the correct levels. I know one of the major drawbacks of PPS-Pro is the propensity to get GSA due to being too lean on PO4. I know the whole thing around PPS-Pro is that everything is dosed lean, but I want to dial it in to get at the 'just right' amount.

That's going to be my main focus right now, war on GSA, until I figure this out. I'll get the PO4 test and get back to y'all on the levels I'm at.
Probably about time you started using the Nutrient Calculator if your really wanting to dial things in. If your not already

R O T.L A

Also probably need to start cutting back on light intervals and intensities. I think over on S cape I was kinda hinting to that and that you were riding the edge so to speak.
Cardinal's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #229
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. I'm going to try a few things with my PO4 dosing before I decide to switch to EI. I'm pretty happy with PPS-Pro otherwise so I'm going to just customize it a bit before I give up on it. I'm lazy and busy with school (awful combination) so not having to do 50% PWC's is one of the most appealing aspects of PPS-pro.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #230
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal's Keeper View Post
Probably about time you started using the Nutrient Calculator if your really wanting to dial things in. If your not already

R O T.L A

Also probably need to start cutting back on light intervals and intensities. I think over on S cape I was kinda hinting to that and that you were riding the edge so to speak.
Yeah I used one of wet's calculators to mix it up. I'm just not being consistent with dosing and calculating on my end. So it's user error most likely. I just need to focus in on my routines and establish a method to stay consistent.

Hmmm... on SCAPE? I'm trying to recall where you advised me on that? Don't recall :-/
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #231
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Also...in terms of GSA, I recall reading somewhere that Nerites are particularly good at eating it. I wanted to shy away from them because I hated when they'd make my DW look like a sesame bun. But I guess I'll give them a go. I'll just add scraping eggs to my cleaning routine.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #232
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

UG growing nuts under these lights!

Almost have a full carpet from small clumps of UG -- albeit a relatively small area for it. I recall planting it looking all whitish like coleslaw... I'm impressed as this is my first go at this plant and lighting.

First planted just over a month ago:

As of tonight:
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #233
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Oh man! thats some nice coloration and growth on the UG!!!

Now I want to add another SAT+ to my 60F so I can get that kind of growth :P
Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #234
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, man! Your tank is significantly shallower than mine so you may not need a second one.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #235
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Thanks, man! Your tank is significantly shallower than mine so you may not need a second one.
I was going to say the exact same earlier but I had a last minute recording session. A 60F can get by with very little light, I agree with you 100%
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #236
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Anyone have any pointers on how to trim UG and when I should do it? It's getting thicker but I have no clue.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #237
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Anyone have any pointers on how to trim UG and when I should do it? It's getting thicker but I have no clue.
You can just hack it and save trimmings for an emmersed setup like anotherhobby did.

Based on his journal and recent developments, I would cut it low and or thin it out so you dont have the whole carpet come up like he did.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #238
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
You can just hack it and save trimmings for an emmersed setup like anotherhobby did.

Based on his journal and recent developments, I would cut it low and or thin it out so you dont have the whole carpet come up like he did.
Wow... I just read that part where he lost and gave up on it, despite keeping it short. I guess I need to mow and thin it out by pulling clumps here and there.

Thanks for that link to the info!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #239
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Also...in terms of GSA, I recall reading somewhere that Nerites are particularly good at eating it. I wanted to shy away from them because I hated when they'd make my DW look like a sesame bun. But I guess I'll give them a go. I'll just add scraping eggs to my cleaning routine.
This is also why I didn't want nerites, but when I go to fish stores and look at nerites there, I don't see eggs anywhere? So I'm wondering what makes them lay or not lay eggs.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #240
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
This is also why I didn't want nerites, but when I go to fish stores and look at nerites there, I don't see eggs anywhere? So I'm wondering what makes them lay or not lay eggs.
I'm not sure either... Maybe when they get acclimated to a new environment, they get comfortable enough to start laying them. They're probably not at the LFS long enough.