High Maintenance tank but low maintenance GF! *UPDATE: ADA60P to Custom wannabe 60F! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #61
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Couldn't find much help DIY wise on here... so..

DIY double hanging bracket for rays!

Brand new planted+ I got last Friday afternoon.

after plugging it in and making sure it worked.. I started taking it apart to check out the hardware.

turns out when you buy a Finnex Ray. All the hardware is in that thin LED panel behind the plastic screen. The fixture is actually empty. Assuming the metal fixture is more for support and heat sink, we don't have to worry about messing anything up drilling into it.

Here goes nothing!

Ray2 and Planted+

off to the apartment basement to hacksaw the mounting plates. you want to make sure you have 3 holes. 1 for each fixture (2) and one in the dead middle for hanging.

take it slow, once you get a good dig, keep it straight! Use something as a guide. I used the cinder blocks and my shoe. Make sure you have a good new blade also. Made one perfect plate, then second didn't come out straight since the blade was pretty dull. Also make sure you sand the edges.. they are sharp! This is the same hacksaw that I bought to cut the conduit for the light stand, $4 hacksaw has already done 2 fish projects!

I used nut and bolt with a few washers. You need to get the shortest nuts possible. You don't have much space inside the fixtures.
Drill a small hole first, then up the size of the drill bit. You want these clean! I had a small handheld vacuum I was using to keep the metal shrapnel from getting inside the fixture and all over.
Careful DO NOT apply too much pressure when drilling, you don't want to damage the LED's on the other side. Also do it on a soft surface. I used a microfiber cloth.

bought some metal wire and hardware. Made loops. Figured the fishline won't hold two fixtures and the metal plates. The fishline looked clean, so I figured i'd splurge the 4 bucks on metal wires and hardware. to keep it looking fresh.

once i cleaned up the extra wire..

The S hook and why I said to make sure you have that middle hole on the plate!

adds back a little more color to the tank, it doesn't look as washed out. Also added more light. The Ray2 is obviously brighter than the planted+. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably pick up a 2nd Ray2 just for light sake and the height I have it hanging. The planted+ kinda screwed up the moonlight deal since both switches are on ONE PLUG. So I'm just leaving the blue moonlights on along with the rest of the light.

I'm happy with the light output now. However, lucky me... my CO2 ran out tonight. Will be refilling tomorrow.

initial light schedule:

5:30PM CO2
6PM planted+
8PM ray2
1AM CO2 OFF
1:30AM ray2 OFF
2AM planted+ OFF

8 hours of total light with alot more light for 5.5 hours. After I get my co2 back, I might tweak it.

Next projects:
Regulator rehaul (parts coming in)
Inline atomizer (parts coming in)
Steel lily pipes with skimmer (parts coming in)
possibly adding a sponge filter (parts coming in)

tank is almost done!

Last edited by Down_Shift; 11-18-2013 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: add
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #62
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

One more pic.

Here's the wanna be reef lights! Will probably never use them wish they just added another row of reds instead.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #63
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

yup I just relized the same thing about the moonlights. Putting them on 1 plulg makes them unusable. I am getting some pretty high PAR numbers with the planted plus and ray II at 24". I have another rayII but running all 3 is too much Im already getting a little bit of algae.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #64
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I guess I never commented on this thread. I would have freaked out if I saw you at the hardware store. Light bar looks very nice. Digging the layout, some stems in back would compliment what you have well.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #65
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Great job on coming up with a solution to hang two lights like that. As much as I really like it, I'd be apprehensive to do it myself because I usually end up selling equipment in the future.

Anyways... Just one suggestion. I had my Ray 2 hung by S hooks too. I almost knocked my light into the tank by doing some tank maintenance. I suggest getting some carabiner hooks for safety.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #66
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Great job on coming up with a solution to hang two lights like that. As much as I really like it, I'd be apprehensive to do it myself because I usually end up selling equipment in the future.

Anyways... Just one suggestion. I had my Ray 2 hung by S hooks too. I almost knocked my light into the tank by doing some tank maintenance. I suggest getting some carabiner hooks for safety.
Thanks man.
Ya I'd sell stuff as well. Hopefully find a buyer for both lights! Unfortunately used stuff doesn't for much on here anyways.

I'm looking for some nice carabiners that match. All I have are crazy colored ones lol
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #67
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I guess I never commented on this thread. I would have freaked out if I saw you at the hardware store. Light bar looks very nice. Digging the layout, some stems in back would compliment what you have well.
Thanks man. Still looking for something red. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #68
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Thanks man. Still looking for something red. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There are plenty, big leaf or small? Round or pointy?

One of my favorite red plants is ludwigia sp. 'red'. It's not hard to get great color out of it and has small leaves for ludwigia. Their are plenty of Rotola species that would look great.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

on the S hooks you could always bend the ends in more so they aren't quite as open to prevent knocking the lights off the hooks.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #70
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
There are plenty, big leaf or small? Round or pointy?

One of my favorite red plants is ludwigia sp. 'red'. It's not hard to get great color out of it and has small leaves for ludwigia. Their are plenty of Rotola species that would look great.
might have to take your word on the ludwigia. I've had a few rotala variants.. If I were to do that again, I'd do get the tornado stuff(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
on the S hooks you could always bend the ends in more so they aren't quite as open to prevent knocking the lights off the hooks.
thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #71
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
might have to take your word on the ludwigia. I've had a few rotala variants.. If I were to do that again, I'd do get the tornado stuff(?)
What Rotala varieties did you have and what didn't you like? Their are plenty to choose from, some pretty easy to grow, some very hard to grow, most more in the middle. Although some varieties have large leaves, most have small leaves that fit this size tank very well.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
What Rotala varieties did you have and what didn't you like? Their are plenty to choose from, some pretty easy to grow, some very hard to grow, most more in the middle. Although some varieties have large leaves, most have small leaves that fit this size tank very well.
It was colorata? It was a pita to plant.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #73
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It was colorata? It was a pita to plant.
That is one I like. I can't recommend any that are similar that are easier to plant. If you don't replant the tops and pull the bottoms, you only have to plant once.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #74
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That is one I like. I can't recommend any that are similar that are easier to plant. If you don't replant the tops and pull the bottoms, you only have to plant once.
explain pull the bottoms? don't understand.
The issue I had with it was they would start to multiple from one stem. Hated that look.

if i left it too long, it would also start rooting from above ground. other than that it's a beautiful plant.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #75
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Came home and saw this for the first time.
I can now officially say I have the perfect amount of light with 2 finnex fixtures.

Haven't seen any pearling like this since I set the tank up.

slo mo video from the iphone. don't mind the music, it's from youtube LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g_3GGF-NzI