Galunggong's 20gal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Are you going to DSM the HC? I think that would be a great idea to start with. And you should get some root tabs since eco is inert. They will go a long way to keeping the HC healthy.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
galunggong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetvi View Post
German blue rams!
are they not aggressive like a betta?
galunggong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
That is not always true. I had 1 years ago in a 20G long with guppys. When I move out of town I left the tank with friends. When he died they replaced him with another Betta and it ate all of the fish.

I have 1 that is semi-aggressive with Gold Pristellia Tetras in a 10G. They are my favourite fish for they are playful not hyper like Danios. Main thing is to check if other fish are fin nippers. For fin nippers will attach the Betta.

My favourite light is the coralife (Now Aqueon) T5NO (2 18W Bulbs). The 1 you are looking on Ebay is a HO fixture. I think with it you would need more Co2 than a DIY system with give you in order to avoid algae problems.

With plants you don't need to water changes. I only do monthly water changes.
Thanks! I'll try to put the betta in the tank last and see if he goes along well with the other fishes.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Are you going to DSM the HC? I think that would be a great idea to start with. And you should get some root tabs since eco is inert. They will go a long way to keeping the HC healthy.
I'm 1 week in on DSM and I put some API root tabs in the eco complete. So far not seeing any melting yet ...crossing fingers
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galunggong View Post
are they not aggressive like a betta?
It depends, if you get only females or males, they will be peaceful (male still has a little aggression over time though). If you get a pair, tank mate should be some fish that won't disturb their nest, i know corys do but neon/cardinal tetra are don't
zetvi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #21
EndlerGame
Planted Member

German blue rams are good, and they stay small enough that even an aggressive individual won't be harmful to other fish. They like planted tanks and do better in water with a low ph. Bolivian rams are a similar fish, though slightly larger and less colorful, and do better in a higher ph.

Other fun fish are corydoras catfish, as they are active bottom-dwellers, and can be amusing to watch root through the substrate. And you might want a school of some mid-top dweller such as some small tetras.
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #22
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try to put the betta in the tank last and see if he goes along well with the other fishes.
So what happened?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
So what happened?
Sorry, that won't be happening until I finish DSM which is on my second week now and after that, a few more weeks of cycling
Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
galunggong
Algae Grower

Default Week 2 Update

Week 2 DSM Update:
I got some good growth on the HC but unfortunately, on the second week, mold/fungus started growing in the middle area (see pics below) which caused some melting. So I started cutting down my misting from 2 times a day to only one and instead of completely sealing off the tank with plastic wrap, I'm leaving a corner open to hopefully dry out the mold. I'm also spot dosing the affected areas with hydrogen peroxide. I hope my hc will pull through. I'm now itching to flood the tank thinking if my hc will die, I might as well not wait a few more weeks and start enjoying an fish full aquarium, that's after cycling of course.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I'm now itching to flood the tank thinking if my hc will die, I might as well not wait a few more weeks and start enjoying an fish full aquarium, that's after cycling of course.
If you add a lot of plants they cycling won't tank long. I just add 3 to 5 fish a month. That is called a silent cycling. The fish would eat the mold.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #26
galunggong
Algae Grower

Default Pressurized CO2

Decided to scrap the DIY CO2 setup before they were even put to use Found this Co2 setup in craigslist for $60. It includes Aqua Medic Regulator, Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor, Aqua Medic Solenoid 1W and a 5lb aluminum tank that I already swapped for a beat up tank in a welding supply shop near my work (Airgas is trying to rip me off by asking $40 just for a swap!)

Had to create a platform with a piece of wood to mount all the CO2 components as the solenoid is an inline one.

I also purchased a Sunsun HW-302 canister filter and hook it up to the reactor and tested for leaks. CO2 seems to be dissolving pretty good as I'm not seeing any bubbles reaching the outflow.

So in the week since, I already upgrade the unused DIY Co2 with a pressurized one and upgrade a brand new marineland hob filter with the Sunsun Canister filter

I'll be flooding this tank anytime soon. I hope 3 weeks is enough for the hc to establish some roots and not float up when I flood them.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #27
galunggong
Algae Grower

Default Flooded!

Flooded on 3rd Week of DSM
I decided to flood the tank as I'm afraid that the the mold and fungus will run over the HC. It already wrecked havoc in the middle section as can be seen in the pics below. Good thing the HC rooted enough not to float after being flooded.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #28
galunggong
Algae Grower

Default Fishes!

Pics Update: More plants and added fishes!
So far, I wouldn't say that the HC is flourishing, but they stopped dying . Local LFS had a BlackFriday sale and I got the plants and fishes 50% off. The stocks are Bloodfin Tetras, Neon Tetras, Angel Rams, Red Plattys and Cory Catfish.

Some Pics!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #29
galunggong
Algae Grower

Default Pic Update

It's been a while since my last update. So after some battle with various types of algae and stunted plant growth, things are starting to balance out and plants are starting to get happy. Here's the latest pic of my 20L.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.