Psiorian's 60F - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #46
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Are you getting a jet outflow? Because I have one on my Mini M and it works great. They're especially good for long tanks.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

My bad for not getting those measurements. If that pipe is working out, I bet just about any jet style pipe will work out for you. Let me know if you still need mine but I am thinking you have it figured out.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #48
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Cool... glad you figured out the leaking issue.

So is the Sat+ doing alright elevated at that distance? I'm just wondering if you should lower it a bit?
You must be a mind reader! I changed the way my light was hung based on somewhatshocked 12gal long journal since I use the same light hangers. It looks better, I was going to post pictures this weekend when I change the pipes and tubing.

I just lowered the light a bit (from 10" to 8" from the lowest part of the substrate) to see how my growth is. I was getting pearling before but the HC wasnt "crawling" along the ground like in other people's journals. Lets see how it does for a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Are you getting a jet outflow? Because I have one on my Mini M and it works great. They're especially good for long tanks.
Which filter for the mini M with the jet outflow?

So I was debating between a jet and a F1 cal aqua outflow (like a mini lily pipe). I got a cal aqua pipe and I also got an eheim jet outflow that the LFS was going to throw away to cut and test that out as well if the cal aqua pipes dont work.

This is my reasoning behind getting the cal aqua pipes vs a jet. I have no facts to back this up other than the voices in my head. The jet outflow looked like it would give me a strong "jet" across the tank in a concentrated flow pattern. I didnt know how it would fare front to back as it is also deeper tank. I wasnt sure if I wanted to increase my flow even more as my filter is oversized and I already have it turned down and I didnt want to turn my filter down all the way.

This totally may not be the case and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. I may just end up with a collection of glassware :P That I can save up and have an excuse to buy another tank! :P
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #49
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Which filter for the mini M with the jet outflow?

So I was debating between a jet and a F1 cal aqua outflow (like a mini lily pipe). I got a cal aqua pipe and I also got an eheim jet outflow that the LFS was going to throw away to cut and test that out as well if the cal aqua pipes dont work.

This is my reasoning behind getting the cal aqua pipes vs a jet. I have no facts to back this up other than the voices in my head. The jet outflow looked like it would give me a strong "jet" across the tank in a concentrated flow pattern. I didnt know how it would fare front to back as it is also deeper tank. I wasnt sure if I wanted to increase my flow even more as my filter is oversized and I already have it turned down and I didnt want to turn my filter down all the way.

This totally may not be the case and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. I may just end up with a collection of glassware :P That I can save up and have an excuse to buy another tank! :P
My guess is that the two will be more similar than different. I don't find a lily pipe really distributes flow any better than a straight outlet. I haven't used one that is "crimped" though.

I would pick the one you like better cosmetically. I also think Cal Aqua makes better quality glassware than ADA but I think ADA makes more cosmetically appealing glassware. The Cal Aqua stuff I have is very durable. I have only had one drop checker and one diffuser since I started this hobby (only have equipment for one high tech tank). However, I have chipped an acrylic lily pipe. I think that alone speaks for durability. Many have said they feel their Cal Aqua pipes are stronger than ADA as well.

At the end of the day, unless it's a speciality style pipe like the Spin, Poppy, etc, it's much more cosmetic than functional. I think we all want to think these make a difference sense they are not cheap but I really would focus on cosmetics and personal style.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
My guess is that the two will be more similar than different. I don't find a lily pipe really distributes flow any better than a straight outlet. I haven't used one that is "crimped" though.

I would pick the one you like better cosmetically. I also think Cal Aqua makes better quality glassware than ADA but I think ADA makes more cosmetically appealing glassware. The Cal Aqua stuff I have is very durable. I have only had one drop checker and one diffuser since I started this hobby (only have equipment for one high tech tank). However, I have chipped an acrylic lily pipe. I think that alone speaks for durability. Many have said they feel their Cal Aqua pipes are stronger than ADA as well.

At the end of the day, unless it's a speciality style pipe like the Spin, Poppy, etc, it's much more cosmetic than functional. I think we all want to think these make a difference sense they are not cheap but I really would focus on cosmetics and personal style.
This is good to know! Thanks!

I have a cal aqua inflow and it does feel sturdy! Only time will tell if its sturdy enough for me.

I wish Cal Aqua stuff was sold in California (well if it is and I dont know about it tell me!) so I could save on shipping.

Hopefully I can get everything before the weekend so I can set it all up
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #51
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
This is good to know! Thanks!

I have a cal aqua inflow and it does feel sturdy! Only time will tell if its sturdy enough for me.

I wish Cal Aqua stuff was sold in California (well if it is and I dont know about it tell me!) so I could save on shipping.

Hopefully I can get everything before the weekend so I can set it all up
Sorry, not to downplay what I just said but I do want to reiterate its "my guess" or "my opinion". I could be wrong here since I have not used one that is actually "crimped" before.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #52
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got some new stuff in.

Clear tubing, new outflow and some proper tubing connectors so it would stop leaking. Oh and I picked up a ramp timer from Brian's 60P journal :P

I love how cal aqua packages their stuff.

I also adjusted the zoomed light stands like somewhatshocked and put them behind the tank instead of on the sides.

I like the new outflow better than the big one I had before.

It also creates vortex action better than the previous bigger generic lily.

The plants are coming along after I lowered my lights a couple of inches. I'm not seeing crazy growth and I planted pretty sparsely to start off with. I also moved the anubias around and added some hydrocotyle japan as a plant to absorb nutrients.

Here is what it looks like now.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #53
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.calaqualabs.com/Retailers.html

I know a few stores in southern california that will special order their stuff but that's it.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #54
JoseRivera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's lookin good, I love the layout
JoseRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #55
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tank is looking good and coming along. I just love cal aqua packaging. How do you like the ramp timer?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good. Seems like that lily couldn't not have been a closer fit. Curious about the ramp up timer as well, even though I really have no use for it and rarely see my lights come on/off on my tank with LED's, I may buy one anyway.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #57
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRivera View Post
It's lookin good, I love the layout
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Tank is looking good and coming along. I just love cal aqua packaging. How do you like the ramp timer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looks good. Seems like that lily couldn't not have been a closer fit. Curious about the ramp up timer as well, even though I really have no use for it and rarely see my lights come on/off on my tank with LED's, I may buy one anyway.
Thanks guys.

The ramp timer is pretty neat. I actually don't see my lights come on and off often but I made it a point to wait for them this time. It is pretty neat how it dims it on and off. Super easy to setup. And it frees up a spot on my power strip as there isn't a bulky timer there anymore.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #58
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well the tank is coming along, its in the cycling phase of diatoms on the hardscape and the sand. I'm getting some BGA which I've never had before so I get a chance to experience how to cure this type of algae.

I started ferts and increased surface agitation by added a sunsun301 skimmer to the back of the tank. I read somewhere that lack of O2 could also cause this anaerobic bacteria to grow. I wasnt getting much surface agitation and it seems to have made the BGA go away or at least stop spreading.

I'm going out of town for the holidays, hopefully I dont come back to a tank full of green water
Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #59
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Tank's looking really good! I think BGA is typically dead spots (and low nitrate?) but I could be wrong. You might want to reduce your lighting intensity and or duration depending on how long you'll be gone.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #60
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Tank's looking really good! I think BGA is typically dead spots (and low nitrate?) but I could be wrong. You might want to reduce your lighting intensity and or duration depending on how long you'll be gone.
Good point. Yea, I think dead spots occurred because I kept changing the lilies and locations in the beginning. Now they are set so hopefully I'll see if there are true dead spots.

I will reduce the duration while I'm gone, any suggested duration while I'm gone? (Will be gone about a week). They are on for 8 hrs now I was thinking around 6?