think a single 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ would do ok on it's own on a 4'x2' tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
solchitlins
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

think a single 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ would do ok on it's own on a 4'x2' tank?

think a single 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ would do ok on it's own on a 4'x2' 110 gal. tank?

it's 48" long by 24" wide, my plants bases are about 18" below the surface.

I'm thinking about replacing my bulky 6x t5 ho unit with this,
I currently only run 4 bulbs and have hair algae problems, no co2, low tech etc..

Think I could plant towards the back and center the led over the plants and have an open area in the front?

Or would I need 2 of these?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Looks like the ray2 would give you more punch.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
mwuf15
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I agree, a Ray2 would be better for your setup.
I have a question about the fugeray planted+ lights though.

Will 2 36" planted+ would give me high light at 18" depth? (55gal)
mwuf15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

@ mwuf15, i believe it will put you in the med-high light category given that you only have 12" of width so the lights themselves will be situated rather close to each other.

to the OP, there's another thread today on this very same topic where i hypothesized that having two Planted+ lamps may produce more Par than a RAYII and MonsterRay combination. In a 24" wide tank, i would imagine two fixtures being compulsory to not have shadows cast in areas of the front or rear.

I would imagine if you were targeting medium light, the ray II and Monster Ray combo would be an ideal pairing where High light would best be staged with twin Planted+.

AC
Old 11-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
phishfriend
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
@ mwuf15, i believe it will put you in the med-high light category given that you only have 12" of width so the lights themselves will be situated rather close to each other.

to the OP, there's another thread today on this very same topic where i hypothesized that having two Planted+ lamps may produce more Par than a RAYII and MonsterRay combination. In a 24" wide tank, i would imagine two fixtures being compulsory to not have shadows cast in areas of the front or rear.

I would imagine if you were targeting medium light, the ray II and Monster Ray combo would be an ideal pairing where High light would best be staged with twin Planted+.

AC
Do you think the same combo would be the way to go on 75g? My plant depth 16" but not as deep front to back. So I'v kinda questioned one or two units. Im not trying for high light. Happy being in med light but want to make sure I'm firmly in that med light range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post
Do you think the same combo would be the way to go on 75g? My plant depth 16" but not as deep front to back. So I'v kinda questioned one or two units. Im not trying for high light. Happy being in med light but want to make sure I'm firmly in that med light range.

My friend has a 75g running a Ray II and MonsterRay. His LEDs are elevated a few inches to bring the tank into the medium light range. If you were to dive into high tech with co2 injection, lowering the light at that point would certain raise the par significantly. The long term view using this combination factoring scalability is very favorable indeed.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
phishfriend
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Also, apologies to op did intend hijack. Ok, so I'v ordered a plant+ already should I pair with the monster to stay in the med light range or the ray II and raise them off the tank?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
solchitlins
Planted Member

when you guys say ray2 which version do you mean "DB, DS, BB" and would I still be in the low tech/ low to medium light zone? I have no plans for a co2 system.
solchitlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Waiting, waiting, waiting....I am interested in the same thing as the OP, but I would like a high light tank. I just dont want to be the guinea pig. I want someone who has one(or two) to post some pics of some high light RED stem plants before im buying. I have T5HOs that do just fine but would seriously consider upgrading of the spectrum and par are right.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
solchitlins
Planted Member

I imagine shadows in the front open front forground might look sort of nice or am I fooling myself? I like keeping it open for fish to gather.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
solchitlins
Planted Member

hmm, I found a buyer for my 6 bulb t5ho setup and need to make a decision on what to do, should I keep the t5ho's or order a LED fixture?

I can't afford more than one
solchitlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.