Play Sand Turning Black Along Glass
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Elli
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Play Sand Turning Black Along Glass

The sand along the front and sides of the tank is turning black. What is it and do I need to fix anything? Will it go away?

Tank is an Evolve4 with play sand substrate that's been running for about a month. It has a few baby mystery snails, MTS and a pair of scarlet badis plus lots of plants. There are a couple of O+ tabs in there. I do partial water changes every week and carefully vacuum the sand with a straw to get in the small places (snails poop a lot). There are some blackworms in there but this started before they were introduced to the tank. It also has extra filter media. Before the DHG rooted I stirred the sand every couple of days. I haven't done that recently and am not sure how without uprooting something. I did suck some of the icky sand up and it didn't release bubbles nor did it smell particularly bad - normal mulm smell if anything.

Any advice?

Last edited by Elli; 11-11-2013 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's just what play sand does. It is one of the reasons I will never use it again.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Elli
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
That's just what play sand does. It is one of the reasons I will never use it again.
There's no fix for it? Ugh. Do other types of sand do that, too?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Pool filter sand is better, but there will be some black pockets.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
ljapa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

The black sand is likely anaerobic bacteria. There's no oxygen deep in the sand, so bacteria are using other molecules for survival. It's unsightly, but not dangerous so long as you don't disturb it.

Black usually means that you have sulfur bacteria. They will produce sulfur dioxide or hydrogen sulfide gas. If you disturb too much of that substrate, you can release too much gas all at once, which can be deadly to your fauna.
ljapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
jmsaltfish797
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

i use whats called arena sand in my 20 long. havent had any problems with discoloration and my tanks been running for about 8 months now. you can find this at just about any place that carries landscaping rocks and gravel. should be able to get a bunch for only a few bucks seeing as how its normally sold by the yard.
jmsaltfish797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Something just occurred to me. I am using Fluorite Black Sand. If this happens in my tank, I will never even know it.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I take a flat spatula and run it between the glass and the sand. Makes things look all clean again
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It not just a sand thing. It can happen with any substrate really. I have it with my flourite Red. Although its unsightly, I leave it alone for the most part. Typically if you do disturb it and gas is released, once it hits the water column there are really no effects in small amounts. Every now and then when its get too bad I do a deep clean with my python. Disturb as little as possible and infrequently as necessary. Once cleaned the black will go away temporarily but it will return. Lack of oxygen at deeper levels is what causes this.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Elli
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Once cleaned the black will go away temporarily but it will return. Lack of oxygen at deeper levels is what causes this.
Is there any way of preventing it? Or getting rid of it so it doesn't come back? I thought MTS would help, and there are a bunch in there. My other tanks have black substrate and I try hard not to look for problems, so I never noticed if it was there. I was hoping to keep this one light but I'm starting to think it'd be worth the effort to tear it down and change over to black sand.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
There's no fix for it? Ugh. Do other types of sand do that, too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
Is there any way of preventing it? Or getting rid of it so it doesn't come back? I thought MTS would help, and there are a bunch in there. My other tanks have black substrate and I try hard not to look for problems, so I never noticed if it was there. I was hoping to keep this one light but I'm starting to think it'd be worth the effort to tear it down and change over to black sand.
Everytime I see it, during my PWC, I take a plastic card and push along the sides between sand and glass...it removes it
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Elli
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
Everytime I see it, during my PWC, I take a plastic card and push along the sides between sand and glass...it removes it
I've tried running a spatula between the glass and the sand a few times over the past week. It doesn't really do much. This stuff looks a lot like mildew.

If I have time I'm going to tear the tank apart and replace with black sand. At least then I won't be able to see the gunk! Just hate to move the fish - they just got settled in there. <sigh>
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
MChambers
Planted Member

I have this problem, but only in one tank. And it's the tank where the sand is the deepest.
MChambers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
black, sand, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.