Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
billbug68
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah, I've got this build on 3 forums... Lol

I might have to dry start, only because the filter for this tank is running on another tank that I still need to get a filter for, and plants will be here next week.
billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Nice!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
billbug68
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looked earlier in your thread and you posted that your going to use a Fluval 106 on this tank. Don't really have any experience with Hagen products (I'm a Ehiem pimp haha) but comparing the Fluval 6 line w/ the Ehiem Classic line, I think the 106 might be a little underpowered for such a long tank. The Ehiem 2213 is what I've researched as the canister of choice for this tank and the equivalent for the Fluval is 206. How will you lily pipes be set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #20
billbug68
Algae Grower

Default Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

I've used the 106 on this before and it's perfect, anything more and it'll blow the substrate around or rip up the HC. The pipes are both on the right side. You can see in the pic of the first scape I did in this tank.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #21
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hey brother, I hope you remember me from the Aquarium Advice forum. I am never on there anymore due to being back from deployment! I hope all is well and I subscribing to this thread now to keep up!

PS go UG to mix it up a little and since you already did the HC...
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbug68 View Post
I've used the 106 on this before and it's perfect, anything more and it'll blow the substrate around or rip up the HC. The pipes are both on the right side. You can see in the pic of the first scape I did in this tank.
Good to know. I'm still going thru my DSM period so, haven't even turned on my canister yet. Luckily, I can throttle down the flow on my 2213 so it doesn't disturb the scape when I flood. My set-up has both pipes (Cal Aqua nanos) on the same side too so knowing you were successful with that layout is comforting. The tank carpet will be using HC exclussively but may add patches of UG down the line. May be something you might want to try. Hope you enjoy your tank as much as I enjoy mine.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
willzy
Algae Grower

Nice hardscape, this should turn out good. Your previous scape was very nice as well.
willzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

What ya'll do in such little space is awesome. As I'm lease locked to ten gallon or less, I've tried to get smaller types of
plants growing so my tank will be/look in a better size perspective. My issue is that I really don't want "fantastic" plant
growth. So no Co2($) but regular Excel(at manufacturers suggested doses, not higher)and Leaf Zone/Pride/Sea Chem Flourite
and API Pure Laterite mixed substrate. And I grossly overkilled the lights by buying an Odyssea T5 dual bulb fixture.
Watching this and other similar threads to learn more about all this...thank you.
Raymond S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
billbug68
Algae Grower

Okay, bout to start work right now but I'm gonna try to start replying to all these comments I woke up to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Hey brother, I hope you remember me from the Aquarium Advice forum. I am never on there anymore due to being back from deployment! I hope all is well and I subscribing to this thread now to keep up!

PS go UG to mix it up a little and since you already did the HC...
Of course I remember you bro! I hope all is well! Yeah, I'm considering UG but I'm only receiving a small portion. Plus, the last tank I saw with it had some gnarly lookin roots and runners in the substrate against the front glass. Kinda looked weird, and I'm all OCD about stuff like that. Well see.

Glad to have you here, brother, and happy Veterans Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
Good to know. I'm still going thru my DSM period so, haven't even turned on my canister yet. Luckily, I can throttle down the flow on my 2213 so it doesn't disturb the scape when I flood. My set-up has both pipes (Cal Aqua nanos) on the same side too so knowing you were successful with that layout is comforting. The tank carpet will be using HC exclussively but may add patches of UG down the line. May be something you might want to try. Hope you enjoy your tank as much as I enjoy mine.
I feel that a jet pipe would do this tank better than the standard lily pipes that kind of send the flow down at an angle, rather than straight across the tank like a jet pipe would. I honestly liked the flow better with the stock fluval in and outs, but the lily pipes look so much better! The circulation in the last setup was obviously greatly reduces once I added all the blyxa, which is one of the reasons I'll be trying to stick with carpet only this time around.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
billbug68
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzy View Post
Nice hardscape, this should turn out good. Your previous scape was very nice as well.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
What ya'll do in such little space is awesome. As I'm lease locked to ten gallon or less, I've tried to get smaller types of
plants growing so my tank will be/look in a better size perspective. My issue is that I really don't want "fantastic" plant
growth. So no Co2($) but regular Excel(at manufacturers suggested doses, not higher)and Leaf Zone/Pride/Sea Chem Flourite
and API Pure Laterite mixed substrate. And I grossly overkilled the lights by buying an Odyssea T5 dual bulb fixture.
Watching this and other similar threads to learn more about all this...thank you.
Thanks dude! I hope you find your way with your tank, good luck!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #27
billbug68
Algae Grower

Hardscape finalized:

Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #28
John Simpson
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

awesome work!