ADA 60P---Failure....Low Tech again. - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #121
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

:O oh noes!
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #122
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I know this is a horrible pic but this is about 20 min of cleaning. Put the UV on as well for at least the next day or two. Missed some spots that I will get to but couldn't see them as algae/cloundiness got in the way.

Not that everything is all good now, it's hard to tell in the pics but all the dark spots are algae covered leaves. Plus, growth is a bit leggy. It may be because I lowered the light level down but I am thinking my ferts may be off. Almost through my autodoser's cycle so I will refill and hope things get better.

talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #123
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

How much is in your autodoser solution?

I'm going to have to stop by one of these days and see how you have this rigged up as it is very interesting to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #124
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Lookin better already
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #125
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
How much is in your autodoser solution?

I'm going to have to stop by one of these days and see how you have this rigged up as it is very interesting to me.
How much as in cost? About $60. However, I had some of it so I probably paid $25. You need containers, a digital timer that has a 1 min increment, and 1 or 2 fountain pumps, depending on how you are dosing.

This is an "old school" autodoser. It's like DIY CO2 in a way, it works but there are better solutions out there. At the time I made it, peristaltic pumps were crazy expensive. Controllers were even more expensive. Unless you had a strong knowledge of electrical, programing, etc, it was very hard to auto dose affordably. Now, peristaltic pumps can be had quite a bit more cheaply and things like Arduino exist to make life a lot easier.

Here is how mine works, as you can see, pretty primitive. Not my blog, just a good explanation of how it works- http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/...er-auto-doser/

Would I do this style again, not likely. It works but every time you get a new tank, or stand for that matter, you have to redo the whole thing. Quite a pain but when I made it, the other solutions where not nearly as affordable now.

That said, you are welcome to come check it out one of these days.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #126
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Lookin better already
Looks are deceiving. Glass can be cleaned but something is awry. That's the struggle, but the fun, of a high tech planted tank. If it doesn't reach the point of frustration, I am good. I did a minor trim as well, looks a bit more manicured, not that it's at all there yet.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #127
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh I meant how long does your solution last before you refill.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #128
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Oh I meant how long does your solution last before you refill.
Oh, without using airline valves, only a few days. However, it lasted 2 weeks on my 29 which had a taller stand and is a taller tank (the amount it pushes per minute is based on head height). Since I already had it marked for 2 weeks, I used some airline valves to make it last for 2 weeks again. So far it has been consistent through 2 cycles, we will see if it works long term.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #129
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, I went to AFA really randomly today. I really wanted to buy the poppy inflow and almost did but just didn't have the cash on hand. It may be a blessing as I was thinking how nice it is to be able to clean my outflow on the tank. Being that my inflow (and outflow I am not using) cost met $20 for both, and are acrylic, I may modify my inflow to be two piece so I can clean that easily without removal. Although my inflow doesn't look quite as nice as glass, I can cut it. We will see where that goes.

One thing that was cool is they had a some free literature. If you are around AFA, pick one up, they have some pull out posters and stuff that are pretty cool. Nothing in depth but I thought it was worth $0.

Some 60P inspiration

As for my tank...I feel like I am going through the same battle I always do. GDA on the glass, a darker slime algae on the plants. Both are easy to remove but thrive and come back strong. I lowered my light to 2 bulbs and it does not seem to help, but my reds have suffered. Throwing some new red plants in show me how bad it is (bought R. Singapore and more R. macrandra. The R. R. macrandra isn't even that red and makes what I have look terrible.

Not sure where to go here. If I keep the lights low, no color, still get algae. If I up the lights, I get about the same amount of algae but much better color. I switched from a 4 bulb noon burst about 3 weeks ago to 2 bulbs, nothing got better algae wise but color has suffered. Not sure where to go. I will do a clean up to start. I do have a lot of dead organic matter as my HM suffered from Excel treatments and I bought some tissue culture plants from Petsmart that just perished.

I am thinking shorter photoperiod, more light, and then figuring out ferts. I went back to plantex csm+b instead of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for a test. I cannot add anymore CO2, honestly, I should probably lower it a touch as fish sometimes are stressed.

Here is a new picture, I know this journal is painfully slow. The new red plants are not intensely red so it shows you how bad my other red plants are doing...hopefully I can turn this around.

PS...If you like some hip hop, download a new song we just did (shameless plug):
https://soundcloud.com/3rddegreebeat...roduced-by-3rd
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #130
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Goodness, look at that soundboard! What are you, a music producer?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #131
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post

I see an axiom 49 too.....
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #132
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Producer, instrumentalist, beat maker, not even sure what to call myself these days. I don't really like the "producer" term, even though that's usually what I am credited as, I consider the term producer to be someone who produces albums in the traditional sense, not the person who creates an instrumental or produces single tracks. But yeah, that's what I do.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #133
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Looking good man!!
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #134
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Looking good man!!
I disagree haha. My colors are decent but algae is not letting them show except for the top so my camera doesn't even pick them up, not that they are very visible in person.

That said, I did something I thought I would never do again, buy oto's. The first group I bought (5 years ago) did well but I have had zero survive after that. I made sure to buy them at Petsmart so I can get something else if they don't survive. I know that's a bad way to look at it but I really want these guys and I know I am not the only one who struggles. Wish these guys luck, I really hope they make it.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #135
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I disagree haha. My colors are decent but algae is not letting them show except for the top so my camera doesn't even pick them up, not that they are very visible in person.

That said, I did something I thought I would never do again, buy oto's. The first group I bought (5 years ago) did well but I have had zero survive after that. I made sure to buy them at Petsmart so I can get something else if they don't survive. I know that's a bad way to look at it but I really want these guys and I know I am not the only one who struggles. Wish these guys luck, I really hope they make it.
My ottos are lazy, or my algae grows faster than they can eat

I like nerites, they cleaned up my tank really quickly maybe try those. Albany Aquarium just got some tiger ones in a week or two ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.