Brian's ADA 60P (Ver. 2.5) + Ecoxotic E-Series (Starts Pg 34) - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #196
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Time for my weekend UPDATE!

I've been in and out of my house all week so I had little time to maintain this tank. It basically grew out nuts, like a jungle! Unfortunately, some algae did too! I had a little algae buildup on the sand and it forms like a clumpy layer on top of it.. Anyone know what type of algae that is? It pearls like crazy when both lights are on.

Anyway, a buddy of mine wanted a little portion of UG, HC, and stem trimmings so I hacked away last night, spot treated the sand with H2O2, and re-groomed everything! I was going to wait until I had a little grow-back before I posted an update, but what the heck! I like to show the good, the bad, and the ugly in my journals (not just all "good").

Here's the before pic. UG filling in and HC has fully carpeted its section. The AR Mini lost a bit of its coloring due to being partially blocked out of light from the overgrown Myrio. Took care of that! Mini Fiss is growing in nicely on the DW. 049 has dug in nicely and growing in compact. Propagating P. Erectus, Ludwigia sp. Red, and R. Macrandra... will eventually push out the Myrio.

Here's post-trim (this is the 2nd trim since I started this tank, BTW). I busted out the GLA nude scissors and the curved spring scissors for the HM bush (among other things) I pulled out 2 clumps of UG and a row of HC for a buddy (yes I'm too nice... would have preferred to waited until my tank fully grew in). The UG wants to invade the sand... I think I'm going to let it a bit in the middle right where there's a loner clump with sand on the left and right of it... I want that section to be nice and straight with UG.

Alright guys... thanks for following!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #197
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Wow, the trim made it look a lot cleaner and more pronounced. Still looking awesome! Are you doing anything special to grow the UG? I couldn't get it to grow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #198
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Max! Nothing special, really. My substrate is AS topped with Fluval Shrimp stratum (poor man's version of "powder type" AS... Haha). I dose PPS-Pro with a little extra on the micros and increased PO4. I also dose API Leaf Zone twice a week. CO2 is 30ppm, based on a happy green drop checker. Photoperiod is 8 hours with both lights (roughly 72 PAR), 10 hours with a single Sat+ (comes on 1 hour before and turns off 1 hour after...on a single ramp timer)... well, that's the rundown. I also talk to my UG and mindmeld with it.. Haha

Edit: and my tap in AZ is liquid rock.

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 11-10-2013 at 03:25 AM..
Brian_Cali77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #199
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looking good bri! You don't by chance want another ramp timer? I bought one thinking I could use it but turned out I couldn't
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #200
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
Looking good bri! You don't by chance want another ramp timer? I bought one thinking I could use it but turned out I couldn't
Thanks Stunna! Dang dude... what light didn't it work out for you on? How much you want to off load it for?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #201
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

UG sending runners

Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #202
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good STILL like always Brian!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #203
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drop dead gorgeous, Brain. I like the mixture of colours with the red in the middle. Your ball of rotala actually looks like a ...ball of rotala.

Is there an amount of trimming rotala will tolerate before it just dies? I'm thinking I need to uproot mine and replant, any advice on creating the ball?

Oh and is that phoenix moss in the middle left? Did you just tie it with floss?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #204
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Thanks Stunna! Dang dude... what light didn't it work out for you on? How much you want to off load it for?
15$ shipped and its yours. I thought it would work on an aquaray LED fixture I have. Unfortunately the barrel plugs are different sizes. I could get adapters but then I decided I was going to sell the aquaray and get the new finnex so it will never get used. I dont mind getting it to you cheap as I know I will never use it and it will just sit in a drawer forever.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #205
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Looks good STILL like always Brian!
Thank you
for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Drop dead gorgeous, Brain. I like the mixture of colours with the red in the middle. Your ball of rotala actually looks like a ...ball of rotala.

Is there an amount of trimming rotala will tolerate before it just dies? I'm thinking I need to uproot mine and replant, any advice on creating the ball?

Oh and is that phoenix moss in the middle left? Did you just tie it with floss?
Tony... my name is Brian, not Brain! Haha... anyways, that's not rotala. It's HM (regular Baby Tears). It grows like mini green rotala so it's quite easy to get a ball out of it. But as for rotala, it can handle a good amount of hacking. Just make sure there are a few nodes of leaves left and it will grow back. Also replant the trimmings close to the other stems to form a dense grouping. I found that using the curved spring scissors made the job of shaping it a lot easier.

Yeah, I have a few bushes of fissidens growing throughout. I tied it to lava rocks with cotton string.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #206
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
15$ shipped and its yours. I thought it would work on an aquaray LED fixture I have. Unfortunately the barrel plugs are different sizes. I could get adapters but then I decided I was going to sell the aquaray and get the new finnex so it will never get used. I dont mind getting it to you cheap as I know I will never use it and it will just sit in a drawer forever.
Man... that's a good price! I'm tempted but I'm quite happy with the system I have right now. If I were to get another ramp timer, it would be the dual or pro. I'm sure if you post it in the classifieds or Sat+ club, someone might want to snatch that up.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #207
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Man... that's a good price! I'm tempted but I'm quite happy with the system I have right now. If I were to get another ramp timer, it would be the dual or pro. I'm sure if you post it in the classifieds or Sat+ club, someone might want to snatch that up.
Oh man thats a good deal! If Brian doesn't want it I'll help you out :P
Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #208
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Oh man thats a good deal! If Brian doesn't want it I'll help you out :P
haha sorry to turn your thread into a classifieds. Continue on with the oohing and ahhing over the tank.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #209
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Super nice, glad to see the UG is spreading!

I've been wondering for the longest time where the CO2 diffuser is in this tank. Did you use black tubing to hide it from us? What type of diffuser are you using?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #210
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
haha sorry to turn your thread into a classifieds. Continue on with the oohing and ahhing over the tank.
Haha... I don't mind. Just as long as the ramp timer finds a new home where it's used and not locked away in a drawer.
I appreciated first-dibs on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Super nice, glad to see the UG is spreading!

I've been wondering for the longest time where the CO2 diffuser is in this tank. Did you use black tubing to hide it from us? What type of diffuser are you using?
Thanks... this is my first time with UG so I'm super stoked to see it growing, too. I was worried because I read that it needs soft water. It's actually doing alright in liquid rock.

The co2 is hidden with black tubing in the back right corner. I'm using a glass U connector so the tubing hangs neatly over the tank. The diffuser is a black fluval ceramic diffuser. All further hidden by the L. Aromatica.