Project: 40Breeder, College Kid - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #76
Positron
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can't see any fish in there. If not, crank that co2 crazy style. I want to see a freshly opened sprite bottle as your tank!

I wish I knew this sooner with my 40b. My next tank won't have fish in it and will cycle using soil + nh4 for a few months before fish go in. This will allow me to crank up the co2 while foreground plants establish.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #77
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Definitely been busy over the past week or two. Finally got some fish in the tank as well! Heres the stock list so far..

6 Amano shrimp
8 Ember Tetras
7 Neon Green Tetras
2 SAE
10 Corydora Julii
1 German Blue Ram
... and might dump in my CRS from my shrimp tank in here, still debating though.

Been also battling some bad algae... I feel like that I can stock my tank with more plants that can outcompete the algae, it'll be an easy fix.

New plants also include, rotala colorata, eel grass, red tiger lotus... and I think thats it..

My 10 corydoras I got for free on Craigslist, thanks to "Dan," rehomed these fellas into a bigger mansion

Very unsuccessful pictures of the fish... but you guys get the idea.

Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #78
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Visited my good friend OVT THANKS OLEG! who drastically helped me changed the overall beauty of my fish tank. Finally was able to completely stock my tank with new plants.

Hopefully you can chime in on what exactly the plants were... however off of the top of my head:

Limnophilia aromatica
hydrocotyle japan
Dwarf sag?
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Bangladesh
Some floater starts with an L...
The long plant in the back right
Needle java fern
Anubias nana

On a sad note, I found two dead corydoras :\ What puzzles me is that 2 other cories were swimming past it just fine... grazing... so I am puzzled at whats wrong...

Last edited by Jonnywhoop; 11-09-2013 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: yee
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

very beautiful tank. absolutely jealous
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #80
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

^ Thank you, I am very happy too. its awesome waking up to this tank. I just can't wait for everything to grow in!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #81
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yuor floater looks like Hygroryza aristata (Asian watergrass).
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #82
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Awesome tank! I also have tanks in my bedroom. Going to sleep with the sound of water and filters
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #83
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you are absolutely right about the name of that floater. Definitely an eye catching plant on top.

and yeah having a tank in the room is definitely nice. But since its right next to my bed, I wake up to a beam of t5ho in my face... I need to find a way to cover the overlight on the sides..
Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #84
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I'm glad you stopped by my journal because it led me to yours and its awesome! How long did it take for the fissidens to get going on the wood? I was gonna tie mine on but maybe i could set up a little container to dry start it if its faster. The new plants are great but I liked it a little better before. Just my opinion feel free to disregard In my few short years scaping I've grown to like keeping it simple to stave off collectoritis lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #85
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

^ I told myself I would keep an organized tank with a specific plant list. But when you get 10+sp of free plants, how can you not say no? haha

I dry started the fissiden for about 2 weeks before I filled. I ground it up and smeared it over everything. Its actually starting to take off pretty nicely.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #86
tumbleweedz
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default thanks

Thanks for sharing, it has been fun watching the progress, and frustration of this tank. It looks great. Murphy's law allways follows my tanks, but I still enjoy them. I have my crs tank on one side of my bed and another tank on the other side. If I stay in bed too long the Angel fish swims over and looks at me until I feed her.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #87
xNiNELiVES
Algae Grower

Where did you get those green neon tetras!? I've gotten some via ebay but shipping and other costs are ridiculous? Did you obtain them locally? I'm looking to buy 20.

Spoiler
Tank: Aqueon 38 Gallon Filter: Eheim 2215 Heater: Hydor Inline 200w Substrate: ADA Amazonia, ADA Powersand Special
Lights: Odyssea 4x T5HO Fixture, 2 Giesemann Aquaflora, 2 Giesemann Midday. 156w Total. 7.5 HR/day
Stocking: 4 Garra Flavatra, 6 Otocinclus Affinis, 25 Paracheirodon Simulans, 1 Carinotetraodon Travancoricus
CO2: 5 lb tank, GLA Inline diffuser. 2 BPS (currently) UV Sterilizer: Aquatop 10w Powerhead: Rio Plus 50 (69 GPH)
xNiNELiVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #88
xNiNELiVES
Algae Grower

Can anyone respond?

Spoiler
Tank: Aqueon 38 Gallon Filter: Eheim 2215 Heater: Hydor Inline 200w Substrate: ADA Amazonia, ADA Powersand Special
Lights: Odyssea 4x T5HO Fixture, 2 Giesemann Aquaflora, 2 Giesemann Midday. 156w Total. 7.5 HR/day
Stocking: 4 Garra Flavatra, 6 Otocinclus Affinis, 25 Paracheirodon Simulans, 1 Carinotetraodon Travancoricus
CO2: 5 lb tank, GLA Inline diffuser. 2 BPS (currently) UV Sterilizer: Aquatop 10w Powerhead: Rio Plus 50 (69 GPH)
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #89
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey, sorry, I haven't been following through in this thread at all. Been so caught up graduating from college and working that my tank has just been growing and went through some changes.

as for the neon green tetras, i picked them up from neptune aquatics in Milpitas. Shoot them a call and they can let you know what their stocking situation is! Definitely recommend them as a high quality LFS!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #90
xNiNELiVES
Algae Grower

Yes!!! First of all congratulations to your graduation. I cannot fathom how much of a achievment that is. I'm still only a junior in high school... Anyways that is great. Thank you so much for replying. I will be going very soon to pick these guys up. Also the tank looks really nice.

Spoiler