Aspensandoaks - Fluval Spec V
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aspensandoaks - Fluval Spec V

Hello!

I have been planning on starting a journal a few tanks ago, and have recently started my first "Iwagumi" type tank.

Flora:
Hemianthus callitrichoides - Dwarf Baby Tears
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'

Fauna:
(Planned) Super Tiger Shrimp
(Planned) Amano Shrimp
(Planned) Otocinclus

Hardscape:
"Seiryu Stones"

Substrate:
Fluval Stratum Shrimp
Capped with ADA AquaSoil Powder

Equipment:
Finnex Fugeray 16"
(Planned) Paintball CO2
Day 2 filled - pearling:

Day 1 fill:

dry start method - (several weeks in)
11/10/13:

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII

Last edited by aspensandoaks; 11-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: added images, 112413
aspensandoaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

pictures added, coming to the end of dry start method

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII
Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

Day 2 filled - pearling:

Day 1 fill:

Filled on 11/23/13, seeing hopefully some pearling

Considering adding some microrasbora kubotai for some movement, as well as sticking to cherries as I have other ideas for my super tigers.

Any opinions on the kubotais?

Thanks,
Don

Also, sorry about the water spots on the glass, they are a lot more noticeable in the pictures

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII
Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Looking good. How long did you dry start for? Do you have any pictures from when you first started the dry start?

My only comment on the kubotai are that they would blend in with the scape since they are yellowish-green. If you want some fish that contrast and stick out more, you should consider another fish.

volatile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

thanks for your input on the kubotai, i think they are exactly what I am looking for. the goal is to have a fish that dds some movement to the tank without taking away from the hardscape.

I think I plan on using RCS to add some contrasting colors, as I have my super tigers in mind for another scape

For earlier pictures- i think they are all on my deceased phone, but I hope to continue posting progression of this scape.

As for duration of dry start... well.. I guess you could say the tank went from a dry start to almost an emersed setup. I was planning on filling a lot earlier but the time got away from me (i even had added some emersed elatine hydropiper i was trying to propogate)

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

How did the hydropiper do for you? I tried to dry start it and it completely melted within days.

Do you already have a source for your kubotai? I've ordered from Frank's before and he was good to deal with and I had no casualties.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

the hydropiper did really well for me, it only put in one snipping and it had quadrupled in ~6 weeks, I took it out because it wasn't planned and I just wanted to see how it would do in a different set up than the one I'm currently growing it in.

Although, it has crossed my mind to do a lawn of hydropiper up the center of the scape, but as this is my first HC lawn I figured i would wait to try it.

Thanks for the idea on using Franks, I see he definitely has some good stuff, right now its between that and bobstropical as I have had good experience previously, although it appears frank has a rarer selection, will go with one of those just watching the weather right now before I place anything
Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Iseliin90

What a beautiful tank!

I am planning to do start a tank by the dry start-method, just like you. I really like the design on Fluval Spec. Have you done anything else than adding Co2 to it? Did you use Co2 while dry starting the tank? What kind of lightning do you have?

Do you think I'll be able to make a tank with low-light plants with the led light that comes with the tank adding Co2?
Iseliin90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseliin90 View Post
What a beautiful tank!

I am planning to do start a tank by the dry start-method, just like you. I really like the design on Fluval Spec. Have you done anything else than adding Co2 to it? Did you use Co2 while dry starting the tank? What kind of lightning do you have?

Do you think I'll be able to make a tank with low-light plants with the led light that comes with the tank adding Co2?
thank you!

I have not made any changes to the spec, changed the flow rate a few times but the pump comes with a sliding control on the side.

I am using a 16 inch finnex fugeray on this tank, usually with the blue lights off

I did not use co2 during the dry start, I did not have my co2 setup during DSM or I probably would have, but the difficulty is determining the ppm in the air during dry start, as opposed to ppm in water.

for the stock lighting, i believe i have seen people using it for low light plants, but not sure. I just knew I wanted to grow HC and aiming for medium light at least so picked up a fugeray

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, after a month the HC has overgrown, and i did my first trim, pictures coming soon!~

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII

Last edited by aspensandoaks; 12-29-2013 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: update
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

Default 123113-Update

Here is a current shot, after first trimming.

FTS:

Berried RCS:

Detail Shot:

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #11
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks great! Curious on if you have a regulator w/solenoid on your paintball co2 or not? I have been running paintball co2 with the diy on/off valve on my tanks for a while, but I dont want to add fish or shrimp with fear that I may gas them.
tenzero1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

I do have a regulator on my setup, What I found off ebay, I believe, is a regulator for paintball. I am no paintball expert but I believe they use them to maintain constant pressure when firing?

Anyways, they have ones with fixed pressure (which are usually in the 100's of PSI, but after looking hard enough I was able to find one with a low working pressure, that was also adjustable. I keep the working pressure @~50psi

Here are some images of an extra setup not in use, the setup I am currently running has a better (swagelok) needle valve.

Full setup:

Working pressure gauge on regulator:

On/off on top of paintball regulator:

I try to keep the working pressure to about as low as it will go.
Also note that the gauges both read the same pressure, so it wont tell you when you're running low (but when your bubbles stop or your working pressure drops its time to swap tanks).

That being sad it's a lot better than just the on/off valve, and was only about 30 dollars for the regulator so I did the upgrade because I already had the system. However, if I had to do it over again I probably would not go the paintball route and do a 5lb and cga-320 regulator.

55,38,20H,SpecV,SpecII

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.