aquatek mini CO2 regulator with selenoid?! What regulator are y'all running? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The one big downside to the paintball reg is you'll have to refill your 20oz bottle more, and it will cost you more in the long run. A 20oz bottle here costs $9 to refill, versus a 5 lbs bottle costing $15. That's 4-6 months from the 20oz, versus 1-1 years for the 10 lbs bottle. On average, depending on your usage of course.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
dirtydonato
Algae Grower

IM ASKING ABOUT A REGULATOR....NOT A CO2 TANK.

but thanks anyways?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
s3rca
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydonato View Post
Your running more bps than you can count? That's odd...I'm confused...of course you haven't had to adjust it...your just pouring it out....or am I not getting something
I have a 65gal tank and yeah I can't count the bubbles in my counter. I wouldn't say it's pouring out as a single 20oz tank is lasting me roughly six weeks.
s3rca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Two last things.

One, if you're going Aquatek, you're going cheap. Very cheap, in fact. A couple of us have pointed that out, though you keep repeating that you're trying not to go cheap.

Two, the comment from exv152 about the paintball cylinder was relevant to your question, as the regulator you're talking about is designed for paintball tanks. And since it will likely be difficult to find an adapter to go from a paintball connection to a CGA connection (not the other way around, those exist), it's quite important for you to consider the pros and cons of a paintball cylinder. No need to yell at a guy for pointing out something you seem to be missing.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
IM ASKING ABOUT A REGULATOR....NOT A CO2 TANK.

but thanks anyways?
Ok, thanks for the caps, which means you're yelling and I'm not sure why. But aquatek (much like everything else out there for $80-$100) is garbage IMO, and in this hobby 99% of the time you get what you pay for. Good luck to yah!
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Ok, thanks for the caps, which means you're yelling and I'm not sure why. But aquatek (much like everything else out there for $80-$100) is garbage IMO, and in this hobby 99% of the time you get what you pay for. Good luck to yah!
I second that I went with a GLA paintball regulator originally then down the road decided to go with a 20 lbs tank so I bought an aquatek. Worse decision in this hobby so far the pressure fluctuates 5-10 psi in working pressure depending on the day. I thought it was a faulty regulator at first but I am on my third one now. I highly doubt my luck is this bad so now I'm buying another GLA regulator and have a sweet paper weight :-)
Toby_kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
dirtydonato
Algae Grower

I apologize if I seemed upset. Sometimes it just seems so overwhelming all the options and everyone's opinion.

Gla does seem like the way to go. I think I'm going to start off with the aquatek mini just because it will fit on my tank...it will work decently for my first regulator on a planted tank...and then down the road when I'm having great success in my tank I will upgrade. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Last question regarding a regulator.

If I'm going to spend $10-100 on a regulator....which should I purchase?
Aquatek mini?
And I'm running it on my 20oz paintball Co2 tank.

But I guess aquatek is not made well though? So what Else can I do?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
dirtydonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #23
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
But I guess aquatek is not made well though? So what Else can I do?
Just my opinion but you could buy a gallon of metricide 14 ( generic excel) for 30 dollars shipped mix it at a 1:1 ratio to get 2 gallons since its twice as strong as excel. That will probably last you about a year. During that time save up for a better regulator. Many people use excel on high light tanks as an alternate of co2 and do just fine.if the aquatek you get fluctuates like mine your going to end up with lots of bba due to fluctuating co2.
Toby_kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would second the opinion to save up until you can afford a better CO2 regulator setup. $100 is not a very high budget at all, and in the end, you will end up spending more money than if you were to invest properly the first time around.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
dirtydonato
Algae Grower

What up dark blade. I'm from Woodbridge. ---
dirtydonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
vballcoach

new-ish member here but I'm using a 20oz paintball tank setup also.
I'm using it with a asa adapter/gauge and a Azoo regulator/solenoid setup. I picked it all up off _bay. Azoo came with everything - tubing/bubble counter/check valve. ASA adapter from china. Fluval diffuser pack of 3. Tank bought locally off CL and filled at Dick's for $4.
All on a 20GL long. It's my work tank so I gotta keep everything compact[no big co2 tank allowed].
Everything picked up for under $80...I did have to craft an adapter to CGA320 off the ASA adapter but I get that at my work for free. On a timer with my DIY t5 6400k dual lamp setup.
vballcoach is offline   Reply With Quote