Dwarf Puffers - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Mine would eat pond snails, mini ramshorns, frozen bloodworms, daphnia, and white mosquito larvae as well as live grindal worms, live mosquito larvae and live daphnia.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys/L340 fry, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g L340 fry
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
MrRiboflavin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to MrRiboflavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
Mr.Ribo, RCS don't live that long (1 1/2 years tops) if you had them for 3 years, they were breeding. Which makes me think your puffers have been snacking on them the entire time. 12 RCS would amount to about 1000 in a 3 year period if I let mine breed. I usually keep males in one tank, females in another unless I want them to breed at which time I add a couple of females to the males tank and once berried they go into a rearing tank. RCS birth control.
I didn't have the shrimp in there for a full 3 years, I know they never reproduced though.
MrRiboflavin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
tumbleweedz
Planted Member

I wish I had more room, sounds like a fun project.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

How about scuds as food? Setting up a dwarf puffer tank now, have plenty of snails for them, but also have a bunch of scuds from a shrimp tank.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

El-Subbed. Very jealous of this tank.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

I have not tried scud as I did not have them then but I have them now and I am sure they would be welcome by any puffer. Oh and puffers love detritus worms too. Use a small container with tank water, add some fish food and let it fester. Detritus worms should show up. Great live food for small fish like tetras and dwarf puffers.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys/L340 fry, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g L340 fry
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Freaking suckers did it to me again. I haven't been able to count six since I posted it here! Feed them a few hours later than usual, all 6 eagerly waiting to be fed lmao. They really like to screw with my head <.<
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
Mr.Ribo, RCS don't live that long (1 1/2 years tops) if you had them for 3 years, they were breeding.
I've got a a gallon walstaed bowl/vase on my desk, and I'm going on 3 years with 2 of the 4 cherries I started with still alive. All female, all babies when placed in the tank, no offspring, just the same cherries. I'm attributing their long life to that fact that they never reproduced...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm attributing their long life to that fact that they never reproduced...
Hey now don't you be going and giving the women of the world any ideas...Daddy needs his lovin ya know!

Anyhow lift expectancy of any critter is just an average and their environment has a great impact on how long they live. Take cats, outdoor cats live 6-10 years, indoor cats live 15-20 years average. I just attribute it to you being a good shrimp momma
Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

I would have to agree with conditions making a difference in life expectancy. I have a bait and tackle shop minnow that is 13 years old. It is a swallowtail shiner from when I could find on the web. I started with 16. He is the last survivor with 2 of the others just dying last year. The websites list them growing up the first year, breeding the second and few seeing their 3rd year. Go figure. Can't tell if mine has been breeding or been abstinent. He won't tell me. They were breeding once that I know off. I found some fry in the tank when moving decorations around but they did not survive with the other fish in the tank. The minnows would not have eaten them but at the time they shared the tank with goldfish.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

We put my cat to sleep last year, she was an outdoor cat by choice until the last few years, she was 24. I had a 3 legged rat that lived to be 8, and a teddy bear hamster that lived to be 7...all of which never had babies. Seems like almost all of my animals live way longer than they should. I fully believe that birthing does cause a significantly lower life expectancy than non-breeding animals.

Sake...you don't have to breed to get your lovin'!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol tell that to the baby hungry women out there! Sorry to hear about your cat I had to put my Buddha baby down about a year ago also. He was 16, his brother is still spry as a kitten though at 17. <3 kitty cats
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #28
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Lol tell that to the baby hungry women out there! Sorry to hear about your cat I had to put my Buddha baby down about a year ago also. He was 16, his brother is still spry as a kitten though at 17. <3 kitty cats
She was an awesome cat, sorry to hear about yours as well.
Baby hungry women...yeah...bout that. If I can't keep it in my garage or a tank, I don't want it. Until then...pets and race cars it is!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #29
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Baby hungry women...yeah...bout that. If I can't keep it in my garage or a tank, I don't want it. Until then...pets and race cars it is!
Marry me....No I'm joking....wait no I'm not marry me!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #30
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

lol nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.