55G Journal (First attempt at an AquaScape) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Anubias does flower under water, but it was probally grown emersed, they don't melt back like crypts do so it just will seem aort of dormant until it starts setting out new leaves. The look on your daughters face with that bag of skittles is like she won the lottery. Tanks coming along quite nice
Thanks man. My daughter is crazy; I would have the same look if I won the lottery!

Quote:
In my own favor, i don't like to have things in the middle, especially one stone. Its just my point of view though. I would move the stone to the left side to hide the other end of the tree.
Thanks for the input. I ended up moving it slightly to the right. It is pretty much centered and in the back. I'm not a huge fan of centering decor as well, but I think it will look nice, once I get some moss growing on it and also when I get more plants and everything grows in, I think it will be less noticeable as centered.

I might take it out if it doesn't turn out the way I'm envisioning it.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update:

Added a few more patches of micro sword and my DHG from my 10G.

I also went to the only LFS in town (Pams Pets) besides Petsmart and picked up a couple plants:

Bacopa
Amazon Sword
And another plant, I forgot the name (Last picture, anyone know what it is?)

Last time I went to Pams, they didn't have much as far as plants. But today they had a huge selection of plants. I guess last time I went they were in the middle of converting some tanks to all plants.

Once I get the packages of plants next week I think I'm going to be done for a while and let them all grow in. I might add co2 to the tank next week.

Quick question about MTS snails: Should I get them for the tank? will they help with cleaning and also since I have 3 inches of substrate (2 soil, 1 sand) would I need them to aerating the substrate?

Someone posted earlier about my substrate being a potential problem, I want to make sure things are good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4064.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	233041  

Name:	IMG_4065.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	233049  

Name:	IMG_4066.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	233057  

Name:	IMG_4085.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	233065  

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	233073  

Last edited by discoveringmypath; 11-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: edit
discoveringmypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Maybe the last pic is kompact hygro, I'm not 100% on that. And yeah I would get a bunch of mts, they are good at digging into the substrate. Have u been poking your substrate with a chopstick or anything? U should if you haven't as u will get big releases of air and gas
Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Maybe the last pic is kompact hygro, I'm not 100% on that. And yeah I would get a bunch of mts, they are good at digging into the substrate. Have u been poking your substrate with a chopstick or anything? U should if you haven't as u will get big releases of air and gas
I should of specified, I meant the one with the red pinkish stem's. I asked in the planted section, it is a Scarlet Temple (Alternanthera reineckii). you are right about the Hygro though that is around the scarlet.

I think I'm going to get the MTS. I've read mixed reviews about them, but mostly positive.

I've poked at it a few times, I need to do it more often though.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post
I should of specified, I meant the one with the red pinkish stem's. I asked in the planted section, it is a Scarlet Temple (Alternanthera reineckii). you are right about the Hygro though that is around the scarlet.

I think I'm going to get the MTS. I've read mixed reviews about them, but mostly positive.

I've poked at it a few times, I need to do it more often though.
Keep poking, if a pocket is toxic and happens to release and fish swims thru it they could die. I had to do it on my dirted tank for a month or so and even yesterday when I was trimming and replanting I had a couple air bubbles come up. I use a chop stick and just poke every couple of inches, it will also help settle the substrate. I made a mistake in my newest tank but not washing the safe t sorb before I put it into my tank and filled it. It just doesn't want to compact so many air bubbles. Once the plants root become established then hopefully this issue will be over
Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Keep poking, if a pocket is toxic and happens to release and fish swims thru it they could die. I had to do it on my dirted tank for a month or so and even yesterday when I was trimming and replanting I had a couple air bubbles come up. I use a chop stick and just poke every couple of inches, it will also help settle the substrate. I made a mistake in my newest tank but not washing the safe t sorb before I put it into my tank and filled it. It just doesn't want to compact so many air bubbles. Once the plants root become established then hopefully this issue will be over
I'll start doing this on a daily basis; in fact I'll start right now while football is on.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

U will see te bubbles and as time does on they decrease and eventually there is no need. Once your plants get settled in the roots will break up these pockets and mts are so great for dirt tanks in my opinion
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
U will see te bubbles and as time does on they decrease and eventually there is no need. Once your plants get settled in the roots will break up these pockets and mts are so great for dirt tanks in my opinion
I just poked around the right section, there are a bunch of bubbles that come up. I'll try to do a section a day and then repeat over the sections every week. I"m going to get the MTS, just need to find where to get them.

Next week I have two packages coming of plants, not crazy big, but enough to fill in more portions of the tank. When I get them planted, you think I have enough plants to start co2 and dry ferts?

I figured I would start off slow, a bubble or 2 a second and dose lightly every other day to see how things go. If fish and plants respond well, I might boost it up.

What do you think?

Also, Would a power head be good to get more circulation?

Thanks for all your tips and help by the way!

In the past month I have learned quite a bit from these forums; I still have a lot to learn though.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #24
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I have a dirted 20long, I waited a month before starting to dose ferts so the plants could establish and then any excess nutrients in the water column could be taken out by water changes. I also am running about a 1-2 bubbles a secnd pressurized and am doing a light ei dosing. Micros on Sundays and macros on Monday then water change Sunday. So far so good. Zero algae and super growth. I had to butcher my star grass in there today bc it's going out of control
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

How's the water movement on the surface, does the water seem to be moving in a circle motion?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
How's the water movement on the surface, does the water seem to be moving in a circle motion?
It does 2 circles, one to the left and a faster motion and a slower circular motion to the right. Maybe because of where it is positioned is why it is moving more on the left.

I also have a 2 by 4 that is holding down the wood that kind of blocks the surface movement to the right.

I was thinking the more movement the better, but I've never had a power head or wave maker before.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I have a dirted 20long, I waited a month before starting to dose ferts so the plants could establish and then any excess nutrients in the water column could be taken out by water changes. I also am running about a 1-2 bubbles a secnd pressurized and am doing a light ei dosing. Micros on Sundays and macros on Monday then water change Sunday. So far so good. Zero algae and super growth. I had to butcher my star grass in there today bc it's going out of control
I was thinking of doing something similar. Maybe I'll give it a few weeks.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I had butchered that star grass in front today and trimmed every plant in there. I see new growth everyday, it's just amazing. And it's a 30" tank with a single 24" t5ho with reflector.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update:

Made a few changes. I took the weight off and 2by4 and am now using a big rock to keep the wood down for now. I removed the Corkscrew Val to my 10G for now. I don't think I like them in this tank.

I received my 2 packages from people on this forum (Thanks xmas_one).

So I added:

Needle Leave Fern
Dwarf Sag
Water Wisteria
L. Aromatica
049 (which I think is Staurgyne repens)
Rotala Sunset
Luwigia Rubin

The Fern looks like it has Staghorn. I can see pinkish hairs on it, which I read was a sign that it is dying. Should I take it out? I was going to wait see if my algae eaters eat it...

The location of each one isn't really it's permanent location. the water wisteria will stay where it is at though. Everything else out of the new plants is subject to change

I added my CO2 as well. Goes to a diffuser, that is under the outlet of the HOB. I also dosed macro's and tomorrow I'm a do micro's. I think I'm going to do water changes on Sunday, macro's on Sunday, micro's on Monday; that will be my dosing schedule.

Some plants are doing really well, some might be adjusting. See what happens in a couple weeks, now that I have co2 and ferts going.

I am thinking about changing my lights. I have 4 23W 5000K CFL bulbs right now. I have 2 6500k bulbs that I am going to swap out. I also want to get some 10000k bulbs for the red plants.

Let me know what you guys think and any advice you have!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0297.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	234345  

Name:	IMAG0296.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	234353  

Name:	IMAG0298.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	234361  

Name:	IMAG0303.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	234385  

Name:	IMAG0304.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	234401  

Old 12-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update:

I got a package awhile back and due to weather the plants weren't doing to great, so I added some of them to the tank temporarily. That is why I have some plants in random places.

I took out the rock as well. the more and more I looked at, the less it made sense.

All plants are growing great. I trimmed and replanted the Bacopa and Ludwigia red. My dwarf sag is growing like crazy and I have like 12+ new plants. Only one problem.

I took out the needle leave fern, because it has some sort of algae on it. A few days after I noticed some black ish fuzz on a few plants. If you look at the picture of the Hygro you can see what I'm talking about. Is this BBA?

What can I do to get rid of this?

I have my co2 cranked up right now. I also cleaned out my filter media because it seemed pretty clogged.

Could it be from lack of doing a water change?

It has been 2 weeks since I have done a water change. I'm going to do one today though.

Also, I have been doing light dosing with dry ferts. I'm wondering if I should do more or less dosing?

I have heard of people with dirted tanks that don't dose much and they get great results, so I'm not sure if lack of dosing has anything to do with the algae that is starting to slowly creep in.

If anyone has any pointers or recommendation I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0361.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	243401  

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	243409