DIY Python water changer (Having issues with it)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

DIY Python water changer (Having issues with it)

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of the DIY things and I didn't want to pay for the Python water changer, so I decided to build my own. Picture is below of my setup.

I'm having trouble with it because it is not working lol. with both valves open, it is supposed to create a suction with the water turned on. Well, it doesn't create a suction, it actually pushes water through the hose.

the only thing I can come up with is that it has something to do with the Y connector. I read a thread on another forum that used a Y connector so I thought it would work.

I want to go try to find a T type connecter like the one on the python.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and/or ran into this problem with the Y connector?

The hose that goes to the tank is 5/8 inch. Maybe this hose needs to be smaller?

Looking at the picture now, it doesn't make sense how it would create a suction so maybe it is the Y connector. I don't know...

I'm going to keep researching, but If anyone has any experience with this or successfully building a DIY python type water changer, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0276[1].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	232609  

Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

If you can find a waterbed filler or whatever it is called that is the part you need. I believe these things are called venturi valves. The Y and T will do nothing without that valve.

Here is a link for what you need...http://www.waterbedbargains.com/supe...FUhk7AodXywAlA

You can find them cheaper on places like eb@y.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-10-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
If you can find a waterbed filler or whatever it is called that is the part you need. I believe these things are called venturi valves. The Y and T will do nothing without that valve.
Okay I see. I'm guessing it is some sort of check valve type thing... I'll try to find one at a department store close by. If not, I guess I'll be ordering from Ebay.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not 100% sure how it works, but I believe it restricts the water coming out and speeds it up creating suction in the lower pressure side.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I called around and found a furniture store that sold the water bed kit for 8 dollars. It is plastic and super cheap, but at least I can see how it works and it does work. I just don't know how long it will last because it is cheap plastic.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know the feeling my aqueon water changer kept breaking because of my insane water pressure. I went out and bought a python and that isn't much better. If yours breaks, at least it was cheap
Old 11-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I know the feeling my aqueon water changer kept breaking because of my insane water pressure. I went out and bought a python and that isn't much better. If yours breaks, at least it was cheap
ya I'm glad it was cheap, cheaper online though. The threads are not going to last, but I will figure something out by the time they do. Now that I know how it works I can try to build a metal one.

I could probably silicone the top brass piece to the plastic part; might extend the life of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0280[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	232713  

Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is what my DIY Python looks like.

I was having all sorts of problems with the plastic one leaking and squirting high pressure water all over the room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diyPython.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	232745  

dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
This is what my DIY Python looks like.

I was having all sorts of problems with the plastic one leaking and squirting high pressure water all over the room.
In the plastic one. there is this little extension within the part that extends past the hole that you would connect the hose too. Does your metal one have something similar? Or is this not necessary?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0281[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	232969  

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I connect mine to the basement sink and just let it siphon the water out so I have no need for that part. But I can think of two ways add it.

First is to just take the part from the Python and whittle it down enough to fit in my DIY model. Second is to find a brass washer to fit in the top of the DIY model and then solder a tiny brass tube through the center hole of the washer that is the length of Python part. The tubing should be available at any hobby shop.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

That little funnel thing is necessary, it's how the product works.

The whole reason a Venturi works the way it does (python water changes, air intake for powerheads), is that when a fluid moves quickly, it exerts less pressure (I think it's something related to something some Bernoulli guy talked about (I skipped this part of physics...)). This has the effect of creating negative pressure on the side inlet, and effectively 'sucks' water out of the tank.

I've seen a couple DIY versions out of various plumbing parts, but I think it would take quite a bit of work to fabricate something like that, and I'm not sure it would get much cheaper then just buying the venturi part.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
I connect mine to the basement sink and just let it siphon the water out so I have no need for that part. But I can think of two ways add it.

First is to just take the part from the Python and whittle it down enough to fit in my DIY model. Second is to find a brass washer to fit in the top of the DIY model and then solder a tiny brass tube through the center hole of the washer that is the length of Python part. The tubing should be available at any hobby shop.
I don't have a soldering kit, but have always wanted one for projects. I think it wouldn't be that hard to build this like you said with a washer and a brass tube through the center.

I don't mind running the hose out the door for draining and then hooking it up to the sink to fill it up though.

Thats nice you have a basement sink to hook your hose to, you don't need to worry about the sink creating suction because it is lower.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't mind running the hose out the door for draining and then hooking it up to the sink to fill it up though.
Unless I am misreading that, why not just go with a normal gravel vac on a hose then? They make ones that are self priming.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Unless I am misreading that, why not just go with a normal gravel vac on a hose then? They make ones that are self priming.
The self priming thing is not really an issue here. I was just saying draining out the door isn't that big of a deal and would work fine instead of using the suction from the sink with this type of system.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

If your aerator comes out of your faucet, you shouldn't need the clear hose in between. The adapter can connect via swapped out aerator adapter. The siphon piece should have come with a faucet insert. If not, I guess its only with a true Python accessory. I can connect my python via the included adapter or connect to the hose thread adapter in which I swapped out my aerator for. A good thing about that venturi is that the more water you get flowing thru it, the more suction you can get. There is a difference when connected to a sink, lavatory or an outside hose bibb.

I must say that I admire the attempt for the device though.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changer, cleaner, diy, gravel, python