7.9g Fluval Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
howze01
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

7.9g Fluval Tank

I have been procrastinating setting up my 120g and have been hankering for a tank so I picked this up yesterday. I replaced the stock power compact with a 15w LED unit. Not super bright but it should do the job. It came with Fluval Stratum as a substrate so I will give that a shot.

I am hoping to figure out a way to replace that horrible CO2 diffuser. Haven't used CO2 on a tank ever so I am open to any suggestions anyone may have! The tank came with this CO2 system: http://www.thatpetplace.com/fluval-m...ed-co2-20g-kit The diffuser is a giant 2 chamber thing that they say you should fill with CO2 twice a day. If I can't replace it I may just stick to Java Fern, crypts, mosses and other easier plants...

I am hoping to cover the driftwood with the usual mosses and maybe some Nana petite. Not sure on fish yet but hoping to keep some shrimp in there too so my original idea of Pea Puffers is out =( Thinking of some CPD or some other small fish. Again, ideas are welcome!

Sorry for the bad pic but I haven't been able to find my camera since vacation so i have to resort to phone pics ...
howze01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
howze01
Algae Grower

Got a few plants in here now as well as a little albino Bushynose pleco from a local planted tanker that bred them. Will be giving him a little algae wafers and zucchini until I start getting some algae going.

The moss on the wood is Fissidens, the plant on the left is some S. repens, up front is some Hydrocotyle 'Japan' in the center and off to the right is a bit of Hemianthus Glomeratus and a couple stems of red Ludwigia in the back. Got a CO2 diffuser to replace that monstrosity of a chamber that came with it. The diffuser is directly under the filter intake so it goes right in there to avoid micro bubbles. Still need to grab some black background, I hate seeing through the back of the tank...

Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
howze01
Algae Grower

Added five of these little guys today:

They are Corydoras pygmaeus.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howze01 View Post
Added five of these little guys today:

They are Corydoras pygmaeus.
Great picture... love these guys! I have 4 in my 60F. They always swim together.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
howze01
Algae Grower

Thanks! They are all sticking together for me as well. Don't spend much time on the bottom of the tank, more in the midwater. That's why I like them, they are very active little guys =)
Old 11-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy but the bushy nose isn't a good idea in that small of a tank. Even as one of the smaller pleco breeds they are better kept in 20-30 gallons. They make huge bio-loads (poop monsters) and can take a lot of work cleaning up after in tanks too small for them. With the pygmy corys the pleco is redundant, so I'd recommend giving it back to the breeder or to a LFS for credit maybe.
Speaking from experience with pleco's, I have a leopard sailfin that's in a tank too small for its adult size (still has a lot of growing to do) and am doing daily poop remove to keep the nitrates down and the tank looking decent. Fortunately he'll be moving into a larger tank soon (99% cycled) but honestly I'd say remove the pleco and enjoy the corys, but that's just my suggestion.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
howze01
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Not trying to be a Negative Nancy but the bushy nose isn't a good idea in that small of a tank. Even as one of the smaller pleco breeds they are better kept in 20-30 gallons. They make huge bio-loads (poop monsters) and can take a lot of work cleaning up after in tanks too small for them. With the pygmy corys the pleco is redundant, so I'd recommend giving it back to the breeder or to a LFS for credit maybe.
Speaking from experience with pleco's, I have a leopard sailfin that's in a tank too small for its adult size (still has a lot of growing to do) and am doing daily poop remove to keep the nitrates down and the tank looking decent. Fortunately he'll be moving into a larger tank soon (99% cycled) but honestly I'd say remove the pleco and enjoy the corys, but that's just my suggestion.
Not negative at all. I have a 120g that I am setting up and the pleco will live there once it's ready to go. For now he is just a bit over an inch so I would think he will be OK in there for a bit. Why would the cories be redundant with the pleco? The pleco is more of an algae eater where the cories are scavenging. I get that the pleco will scavenge as well but the cories will not eat algae like the pleco.

Again, I welcome any comments, good or bad. If all we ever heard was how wonderful we are, we would never have anything to strive for!

I have a few stems coming in a couple days to fill in a bit. Some Ludwigia, Rotala and Pennywort. Not sure they will all stay but need something to fill in while everything else is growing in.