Any Idea for shallow water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Elassoma_sailor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any Idea for shallow water

Is their any ideas to make a power filter run properly in a shallow water environment for Spotted Turtles (Clemmys Gutatta)?

I am planning on constructing a indoor dual pond for my DBT and my European Pond Turtle. When I am done making the dual pond, I will use my DBT current home (55 gallon aquarium) as a future upgrade setup for my youngest spotted turtles while my oldest will have the 40 gallon breeder.
I was thinking of using a small water pump and have it attach to a pipe and the pipe will go through the intake tube...will it be fine?

Last edited by Elassoma_sailor; 11-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: adding more information
Elassoma_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Simple way for me would be to leave a small area around the filter pickup and build the rest of the tank up to the level the turtles need. The water will run to the low area while they stay on the high. Don't worry about too much weight in the tank. Lots of rocks are piled in tanks for African cichlids without the tank giving.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Use a fountain pump in the tank and run the tubing up the intake tube of the HOB.
HOB or canister will not pick up water when the water in the tank is more than a few inches low. They are designed to work best when the tank is full.

Alternate: If you never will want to fill the tank again cut a hole through the glass just above the water level for the HOB.

Alternate: Get an internal filter. Yea, it takes up room that the turtles could use. Duetto and other companies make them.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Elassoma_sailor
Algae Grower

^
I might just go with the internal filter then...but I am also thinking of doing DIY under gravel filter.
Elassoma_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shallow water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.