Advice on 20 gal community - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
CapnRon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
No issues whatsoever keeping multiple bettas over the years with a variety of community fish (no more than one betta in any given tank of course), including white clouds. The ghost shrimp can most likely hold their own, but cherry shrimp are a very likely snack unless your betta is exceptionally passive. I've also kept ammanos with bettas without issue.
Thanks for the reply . I just want to do what's best for the fish while still pursuing this as a hobby. Good info on ghost vs red cherry. I don't really have a preference, but I'd like to at least give them a fighting chance before they find themselves on the receiving end of the Captain's invert cravings....

If you don't mind telling me, how long did you keep your Bettas with the community fish? What size tanks? What other community fish? Trying to soak up as much info as possible here! Thank you!
CapnRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Careful
Algae Grower

You can keep a betta with wcmm (I'm doing it right now) but you're going to compromise on one of their temperature needs no matter what. If you've only got the betta right now why not get some smaller schooling fish that will thrive at a betta's temp, not just survive? WCMMs are great but there are a lot of other great little fish out there too. Just figure out what you like about them and choose a fish that has similar qualities. My betta and WCMMs are doing fine together for now in a 20 long but it's really not ideal and I end up feeling bad about keeping these fish but having to compromise on their needs. It's up to you.
Careful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
CapnRon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful View Post
You can keep a betta with wcmm (I'm doing it right now) but you're going to compromise on one of their temperature needs no matter what. If you've only got the betta right now why not get some smaller schooling fish that will thrive at a betta's temp, not just survive? WCMMs are great but there are a lot of other great little fish out there too. Just figure out what you like about them and choose a fish that has similar qualities. My betta and WCMMs are doing fine together for now in a 20 long but it's really not ideal and I end up feeling bad about keeping these fish but having to compromise on their needs. It's up to you.
That's a really good point and I'm looking into it right now....

What about Cardinal Tetras? I was hesitant about any Tetras because I read somewhere that they are more prone to antagonizing Bettas....opinions anyone?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
CapnRon
Algae Grower

Wait what about Rasboras? Less colorful and more peaceful?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
RusselltheShihTzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)

Don't forget to check your parameters. I always forget to suggest that. :-( Neons aren't good if you have hard water while Endlers love it.

I stocked my tank based on my pH and water hardness and have had far fewer deaths that before I started paying attention to those two areas.
RusselltheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote