Starting over - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #31
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solchitlins View Post
one of my rams has pop eye now
Rams need very clean water. Has your tank fully cycled? How often are you doing water changes?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #32
solchitlins
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm doing the 5 gal a day like sugested earlier in the thread,

Not sure if tank is cycled, my water parameters are always the same as my tap water.

At this point, after losing 75% of my fish I decided to use the fishzole, I'm all out of the other stuff that didnt help
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm doing the 5 gal a day like suggested earlier in the thread,

Not sure if tank is cycled, my water parameters are always the same as my tap water.

At this point, after losing 75% of my fish I decided to use the fishzole,
Doing 5 gal is only .05% for a 110 gallon tank. I don't see how that would help. Whom recommended that? I would like to know his reasoning for that.

To dose meds in a 110G tank you are probably going to need a lot of it. May be more ecconomical to invest in a 18watt UV Sterilizer. Here more info on uv sterilizer

Why did you start with a 110 gallon tank?
What fish and how many do you have left?
Could you post a pic of most of them?

Last edited by Hilde; 11-10-2013 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: added text
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #34
solchitlins
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Doing 5 gal is only .05% for a 110 gallon tank. I don't see how that would help. Whom recommended that? answer found in thread I would like to know his reasoning for that.

To dose meds in a 110G tank you are probably going to need a lot of it. May be more ecconomical to invest in a [Ebay Link Removed] UV Sterilizer[/URL]. Here more info on uv sterilizer

Why did you start with a 110 gallon tank? I have had a dozen tanks in the past 35 years off and on, up to a 150gal, I wanted a 4'x2' footprint because I like the shape and feel it makes a good habitat for most fish.
What fish and how many do you have left?
I have some tetras, rams, plecos, corries and angels left
Could you post a pic of most of them?
My photo album link in in the thread but I'll post it again at the bottom

this is on clearance at a store near my house for $19, but I couldn't tell if I could use my aqua clear powerhead of if I had to order a pump from this brand so I passed

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/gy5...?sort=3&page=1
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Ok man, first off I'm sorry for your losses. We all make mistakes and don't let that discourage you. Sometimes crap happens even if you do everything right. Some people like to pass judgment on you because you have some fish die etc... but I promise Im not and just want to help you figure your problems out.

I do think your tank may be a little biologically immature but 2 months would have at least completed your nitrogen cycle to the point of breaking nitrite down into nitrate. If ammonia poisoning was the issue you would see red gills and gasping. Granted rams can die very easily and angels could too for that matter, but you would see some signs if the ammonia was at lethal levels. The comment about a big tank taking longer to cycle doesn't really make sense. If that was the case 5 gallon tanks would be cycled in no time flat. I could see the depth of the substrate being an issue but that goes back to the ammonia thing and you would see signs in the fish and water tests.

Is your tank warm enough to keep rams? They dont do well at lower temps if that's a factor.

Quite frankly 5 gallon water changes in a tank that large is a joke. Logically you would have to change 25-50% to substantially reduce the nitrates. 10ppm nitrates minus 50% will get you 5ppm. 5 gallons out of 110 wouldn't even drop a whole point. I'm not sure water changes are going to help though. If you do water changes I would probably stick with 25 percent so its effective but wont stress the system and your fish anymore than neccessary. Prime will treat your water for chlorine cloramines and heavy metals as well as promote a healthy slime coat all in one. It is also more concentrated than amquel.

The issue with your cory sounds like a bacteria/fungal infection. Fungus clear tabs by jungle I believe is the brand name, works well for both problems. If they can't take care of it its probably internal and there isnt much you can do anyway. There is also a product called bausmans fish tonic that will increase oxygen uptake promote slime coat and take care of external fungus and bacteria and parasites like ich. It also kills hydra if anyone needs to slay that dragon.

All those might just be treating symptoms and not solving the problem though. I learned a long time ago that treating little aquarium fish for anything other than ich or some fin fungus is generally futile and most other ailments like dropsy and pop eye are symptoms of more serious infections and cant be saved. If you have fish that are exhibiting signs of major illness its usually best to euthanize them to avoid infecting the rest of the healthy fish in the tank.

It would be dificult and beyond the means of most to pinpoint a cause for your problems beyond the obvious things you have already checked. Of course I could be wrong and you needed more time to cycle though I don't think that's it. Its very possible that during your compulsive buying of multiple groups of fish without quarentine that you introduced something very bad into your tank and that's what is doing a number on your fish. A similar theory may be the soution.

I subscribe to the line of thinking that most aquariums have many pathogens present at any given time. Much like people when your system is weakened by stress, such as being transplanted into a new environment, pathogens sieze the opportunity and you become sick. The pathogen multiplies and then leaves your body and increases its concentration in your immediate environment. In the case of an aquarium it is a very small immediate environment and one sick fish could be a germ factory. Thus your other fish, including the already naturally sensitive rams, have to combat a greater amount of pathogens than normal and some will lose the battle. As you can see the problem then grows exponentially as more fish become infected and before you know the whole tank is dead. I have seen this happen and like I said you need to at the very least remove all sick fish to a hospital tank or even put them out of their misery. Your remaining fish wont be helped by stressing them with another move so leave them in your tank. Try a UV sterilizer as suggested. Also get some fast growing floaters like frogbit or salvinia minima to help keep your nitrogen down to zero or near there. After removing the obviously sick fish do a 50% water change and then 25% subsequent water changes weekly after the fact. Continue to remove fish that show signs of illness over the next couple weeks and hopefully you have a hospital tank for them.

To reiterate, I don't think your cycle is the problem especially since you seeded with established media. Its unlikely heavy metal poisoning is the cause but use a conditioner like prime that neutralizes those and maybe call your local water department for an analysis. Feed lightly for a while to help build your bio filter, which will expand quite quickly as food becomes available. Also get yourself some more plants, if they dont help they cant hurt. Even balanced systems with healthy fish sometimes get sick so keep your head up and do be discouraged. Ive lost some fish i really cared about but i didnt keep it from enjoying my hobby. I may have forgot to say some things so if you have any questions feel free to ask me either here or pm me. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
solchitlins
Planted Member

I people doubt me but my water parameters are always great and most of my fish show no signs of distress till I find them dead. Im down to 4 angels, 2 tetras, 6 bn plecos, 3 rams and 1 cory cat.

I never was able to get my fish over to that guys tank for rehab.

I'm in the begining phase of cycling my qt tank.

When it's 100 percent I might look into selling my plants and doing a geo eartheater tank and ditching the dirt/ safe t sorb and starting over.

I have had it with whatever is making me dislike this hobby.

I have had a dozen tanks in the past and have never had so many problems and headaches. I have done fishless cycles and have used established filters in the past and maybe lost 1 or 2 fish but never this many, total bummer.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #37
solchitlins
Planted Member

And my fiance now hates the aqiarium because every time she sits down to watch it she finds a rotting corpse tangled in a plant
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Idk man that's a strange mystery... its not common for fish to drop dead without any signs of illness. Is it possible you have an aggressive angel that's attacking the other fish? Idk how large yours are but a good size angel can kill a fish in hours or even less if its a small fish...

Have you lost any bushynose? They are very resilient fish and if they are dying too i would guess there is something besides water quality killing your fish. Where did you get your dirt? Could it have been contaminated with pesticides or herbicides?

The only things I can could imagine killing fish like that would be a very serious virus/bacteria, chemical poisoning (but I would think they all would die then), or aggression. Are there any signs of a fight on the bodies of the dead fish?

The other thing would maybe be methane or other toxic gasses building up in the substrate and bei g releases when plants are disturbed or bottom feeders in advertantly stir it up.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
solchitlins
Planted Member

the bushy nose are the only fishes that haven't had any loses. The Angels are really active and gung ho to eat, they come right up to my hand and follow my movements around the tank, but then I'll find another one dead. The corries are the only ones that ever showed signs of being sick first, oh and the one bolivian ram who got a swollen eye the day before he croaked.

I think the fish zole stuff is working, of course it takes 11 pills to treat the water per day, I was thinking about buying some some because I only have 5.45 days worth, some dude gave me this out of his trash when I picked up a used filter.

So I looked it up and it's crazy expensive.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fish...tbm=shop&spd=0

Guess I'll only be doing 5.45 days lol, I'm thinking I might be better off crushing it up and adding it to their flake food instead.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #40
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Jungle fungus clear works man you should be able to find it at walmart. Its not that expensive either.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #41
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Even balanced systems with healthy fish sometimes get sick so keep your head up and do be discouraged.
I have heard that some fish have TB without any symptoms until they are moved to a new tank. Nothing is certain when dealing with nature.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #42
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm in the begining phase of cycling my qt tank. When it's 100 percent I might look into selling my plants and doing a geo eartheater tank and ditching the dirt/ safe t sorb and starting over.

I have had it with whatever is making me dislike this hobby.
If they all die you could put some Goldfish in there. They are pretty hardy. There are some beautiful 1s out there.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #43
solchitlins
Planted Member

I'm just worried this fish zole metro stuff is an antibiotic and stopping early might be a bad idea
solchitlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
solchitlins
Planted Member

I'm trying to decide what direction to take my 110 gal 4'x2' footprint tank.

Right now it's heavily planted but not doing so well, I did the miracle grow dirt thing capped with safe t sorb, had alot of problems, fish died, grew algae... etc..

things are looking better plant wise, but I have lost alot of little tetras and Angels along the way.

I'm on the verge of selling my t5ho fixture and scrapping the dirt substrate, selling the plants and just replacing with pool filter sand.

If I got rid of most of the plants, what could I keep with 3 Bolivian rams, a couple small angels and a few corry cats? That's all I have left dealing with the sickness, new tank syndrome or whatever it was, the fish have stopped dying after being medicated with fish zole, but it wasn't quick or easy.

Could I switch to earth-eaters and slowly bring in some Geophagus or something completely different? Severums or something? I like Geo's alot and have kept them in the past, but I can see where they might be in competition with the rams for bottom of the tank rights.

Just thinking at this point.

I'm undecided on whether to sell my t5ho fixture and replace with a LED system or remove the plants and go a different direction.
Honestly this tank has been so frustrating and problem prone, I have had a lot of tanks the last 35 years, done fishless cycles, used established filters to jump start, even done fish in cycles, and have lost a few fish here or there but nothing like what I've been through with this tank.

Part or me thinks you're finally over the hump, stick with it and leave things alone,
Part of me thinks sell your 6 bulb t5ho fixture and replace with a more energy efficient - lower light LED fixture.
Part of me thinks you tried and failed, move on and start enjoying your tank again.

Maybe planted tanks just aren't my thing. I can see where a CO2 system and eco complete would have been better choices for this tank but I am so far over budget and sort of over the whole thing after so many set backs.
solchitlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

generally more plants are better/easier I wouldnt get rid of them.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.