Joey's Mr. Aqua 17.4 Dutch - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #136
keats
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Alright, I did a massive trim this past weekend. I completely removed all 200 stems of Rotala sp. Green, moved the Wallichi over to the left side, the Ludwigia sp. Red next to if, and the Macrandra next to that. I have two stems of Panatal that will make the grouping on the far right side. I finally am growing Macrandra correctly! Knock on wood all fish are doing fine. I'm going to work on keeping plants to the right heights to offer the best contrast and look. The Wallichi will be taller, the Ludwigia will stay shorter, and the Macrandra will be slightly taller. Everything is growing nuts. REAL pics to be uploaded tonight. I broke out my Canon 40D with a Macro. I think the shots are ok for the first try ever with a DSLR. For now, some 'ok' I phone pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #137
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I like the new look. Your old had great color but I felt it could use some "breathing room". I feel that this is going in more of the "traditional" dutch in design as well. I envy the fact you are willing to do a smaller amount of species with it filled in, only to take more out later. I am a glutton for punishment and have been adding like 2-3 stems until I am convinced I like it. Then I have to propagate it all.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #138
keats
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I like the new look. Your old had great color but I felt it could use some "breathing room". I feel that this is going in more of the "traditional" dutch in design as well. I envy the fact you are willing to do a smaller amount of species with it filled in, only to take more out later. I am a glutton for punishment and have been adding like 2-3 stems until I am convinced I like it. Then I have to propagate it all.
I agree. The color will be even better since I upped my co2. I'm already seeing much better color. It will be a more traditional dutch scape.i do want a dark green plant, though for the right side if I don't like the Panatal grouping. I like Syngonanthus sp. Belem and feel it would work well in that small corner. I finally have an image in my head that I know how to attain after working with these plants for 2 months. Give me a week and a half and a couple trims and it will look much better. I have to trim 2 days a week. EI, a mini sun, and rediculous amounts of co2 can be a bit overkill. I'll take it though. I did the same thing. It just take some time to figure out what you want and what will work best.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #139
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
It just take some time to figure out what you want and what will work best.
My problem is I don't like to touch things twice. I find that to be my biggest challenge in this hobby, trying it nail it the first time. I end up not wanting to move things around, especially in front or back once they get going. Then after months, I finally pull something, replace it, and I am so much happier. Some how, I always forget that lesson.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #140
keats
Planted Member

I don't think anyone particularly likes moving things a lot, but sometimes it has to be done. Especially since the aquasoil leaves a dust cloud for a little.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #141
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
I don't think anyone particularly likes moving things a lot, but sometimes it has to be done. Especially since the aquasoil leaves a dust cloud for a little.

This is my first time using AS and even just cleaning the glass, my tank is semi cloudy for a few hours. If I sneeze, it gets cloudy. It was weird not sticking my hands in the tank for 4-5 days as I never realized how clear my actual tank is, much less the water inside.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #142
davidadelp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice looking tank! It has grown in a lot! I love the Peacock Gudgeon my LFS has a few in stock I didn't know what it was when I first seen it, come payday I believe im going to go back and get 2 of them.

Very nice looking date you had there as well, Id keep her around if I were you. lol
davidadelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #143
keats
Planted Member

Anyone know what's up with my ram?? She's really bloated. I noticed some algae so I cranked he co2 a little higher. still trying to dial it in for good. Cleaned the pipes for the first time today. They were dirty! It increased flow a lot, too. Everything is well. Letting it grow back again after a massive trim.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #144
keats
Planted Member

Well, I lost my ram. I'm not quite sure what happened but everything else is perfectly fine. I spied what looks to be a baby Altum Angel at the LFS on Tuesday. I'm hoping they still have it. I'll have it for a long time based on how small it is. If they don't have it, I'm going to look into ordering a pair of electric blue rams from the buy/sell forum. Tank is in need of a trim and I trimmed it four days ago. Oh well, nature of the beast.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #145
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sorry to hear you lost your Ram. They're just a touchy fish that you could have done everything perfectly, and it would have died regardless. Weak genetics. Hit or miss. I wouldn't get the angel... it's going to get too big for that tank and it's going to be a PITA to rehome. Just get the electric rams or an apisto of sorts.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #146
keats
Planted Member

Yeahhh I guess so. I'm really banking on this 40 long I have in my basement. I'm going to reseal it and set it up around Christmas. Low tech planted- lots of Java Fern and anubias. That the only reason I'm considering it. Well see.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #147
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well if you get the 40 fixed, then that's cool.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #148
keats
Planted Member

I'm going to ponder it some more. If I can find some triple reds I would get those
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #149
keats
Planted Member

Ok so here a FTS. I ditched the Panatal because I just couldn't fit it into the layout well. Sold it to the LFS for 8$ a stem! Sold 3 stems so I managed to get a pair of fluval plant scissors, and still have 12$ left in store credit. I had another jumping harlequin so that's even more of a reason to upgrade to a controllable LED. hint hint, Brian. I moved a portion of Blyxa to the right back comer to fill in. The scape will be how I want it as soon as that grows in and I get better color out of the Macrandra. What was sold to me at petco as Wallichi is definately Nanjenshan, so if you're going to they it at PC, expect Nanjenshan. Found a berried PFR! couldn't snap a pic but I'll have some babies soon. I think most will be able to survive in the mess of Blyxa they hide in.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #150
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Very jealous of your reds. Can't wait till they grow in a bit.