Stocking Questions, 2 schools
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
mfield16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Stocking Questions, 2 schools

Ok so I just rescaped my 20g long and moved it into the living room to replace my recently retired 50g reef. The GF wants more "action" on the tank so I just added 8 rummynose to my school of 9 for a new beastly school of 17. I only have a full grown 6yr old BN plec.

Tank is modestly stocked with low light plants and currently has an AC70 & AC30 for filtration. I do have a magnum 250 and an eheim 2213 I could swap out the AC's for if I wanted to.

My question: Can I add another school of perhaps harlequin rasboras to give more action to the top of the tank? I was thinking 10. The rummynose stay glued to bottom regions except to feed. I was originally going too go with 6-10 dwarf or smaller cories, but now I'm wanting top of the tank action.

Thoughts?
mfield16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple
Excellent info source and when they give you the red flag you can cheat on it by just following the water change suggestions
and adding to your filtration capacity. IMO when you added the extra to get 17 you got very near if not overstocked already.
Try each number in the link just to see. If you do decide to add the others, please consider adding half of them each week.
It takes time for the bacteria to multiply sufficiently.

Be sure to add the Pleco to the list when checking as they do add twice as much waste per size as other fish...excess bio-load.
Raymond S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
mfield16
Algae Grower

Yea I checked out aq advisor last night and it said I was at 109% stock level with 10 rasbora added. That fine with me as this is not my first rodeo, but I wanted to get non-computer generated input on the question.

You are correct about adding slowly. This wouldn't happen for at least a month or 2 as I just doubled my current stock and need to wait.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
mfield16
Algae Grower

Oh and it said over 50% water change per week, but I would just monitor my system (nitrate levels, behavior, plant growth, etc) for a few months to determine how much I really need to change...
Old 11-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great...Mostly just saying that without the extra Rummies you could have added the Rasboa's/w no problem.
I'm new on here, had tanks as a teenager but not since then till 4 years ago. I take that site/w a grain of salt
thinking their too cautious but not to an extreme.
The difference between the info back when and now is amazing. But going by their water change suggestions and
double what they suggest at that, one of my tanks seem to be off, and with good parameters too, but the fish
will bounce themselves off things occasionally, lately. Has but 2 Banded Pigmy sunfish in it so how can it be
bad water ? And weekly 20% water changes(that thing says 11%). Oh well I'll figure it out.
Raymond S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Get a cover for your tank and 5-7 zebra danios. That should be plenty of "action" up top. Hatchetfish are cool too, also need a well covered top.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
mfield16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Get a cover for your tank and 5-7 zebra danios. That should be plenty of "action" up top. Hatchetfish are cool too, also need a well covered top.
I'm not a huge fan of hatchets. The zebra danios are cool; how well do they school?

I already have a glass top so I'm covered there I would still rather have rasboras. Maybe just 8?

Tags
harlequin, rummynose, schools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.