Why are platys so disease prone?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower
 
dear_iinsanity's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 108
Default

Why are platys so disease prone?!


Going on my 3rd sick platy in a week...what's with these fish?!
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Kat12
Wannabe Guru
 
Kat12's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,306
Default

How long have you had them? what symptoms?
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear_iinsanity View Post
Going on my 3rd sick platy in a week...what's with these fish?!

I think it might be where you buy them, if anything UNLIKE Mollies and swordtails , I find platies indestructible .


Is your tank cycled , everything is good as far as water?


I find they handle even cooler temps and PH swings way better than most tropicals .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower
 
dear_iinsanity's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 108
Default

I've had them about 2 weeks now, tank is fine in regards to water parameters.

2 just died of columnaris, so it's probably that...all my other fish are fine except them
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
steven p
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
I think it might be where you buy them, if anything UNLIKE Mollies and swordtails , I find platies indestructible .


Is your tank cycled , everything is good as far as water?


I find they handle even cooler temps and PH swings way better than most tropicals .
Platys do fine for me in two tanks, one at 80, the other about 70... Do you use salt? I read all the time marine mix can benefit most of the livebearers in that family... I don't use it.. but the salt can kill some baddies...

I also traded a huge lot of platys to a shop one time... Almost 50 died in the first three days for no apparent reason.. it's hard to say what's going on.. are they being harassed? Do you have a good m/f ratio?
__________________
steven p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear_iinsanity View Post
I've had them about 2 weeks now, tank is fine in regards to water parameters.

2 just died of columnaris, so it's probably that...all my other fish are fine except them
Are you sure the columnaris was completely eradicated from your tank?
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower
 
dear_iinsanity's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Are you sure the columnaris was completely eradicated from your tank?
Not sure, the 2 sick ones were in the main tank for 4 days until I finally put them in the QT. It's been 2 days since they died but I didn't see any other behavior that raised a red flag until yesterday...I guess it's still there? Does columnaris live without a host fish?
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear_iinsanity View Post
Not sure, the 2 sick ones were in the main tank for 4 days until I finally put them in the QT. It's been 2 days since they died but I didn't see any other behavior that raised a red flag until yesterday...I guess it's still there? Does columnaris live without a host fish?
It can live for upto 30 days without a host.
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Platys do fine for me in two tanks, one at 80, the other about 70... Do you use salt? I read all the time marine mix can benefit most of the livebearers in that family... I don't use it.. but the salt can kill some baddies...

I also traded a huge lot of platys to a shop one time... Almost 50 died in the first three days for no apparent reason.. it's hard to say what's going on.. are they being harassed? Do you have a good m/f ratio?


I do not use salt , The PH here is very high , I keep them outside .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	platy 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	233577  

Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012