Tank divider questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

Tank divider questions

I bought the topfin divider for my 55 and don't have the reciept, needless to say I am having some trouble. I placed it in the tank and i can't seem to get it to have a tight seal from front to back. How can I achieve this since it is already in the tank and maneuvered around a piece of wood, reason I did this is because it will be my fry grow out space for betas. But I can't have fish going back and forth killing them. Any suggestings?

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can say that is one of the truly sorry parts of the dividers they sell. They are a hoax for anything smaller than a full grown hog!
I've never found a way to make them work for small fry. The dividers have always failed me. The little net breeder boxes are also bad for me. The large fish simply suck the fry and net into their mouth and kill the fry.
I now build boxes to house fry or use other tanks as growouts. I find the plastic mesh for weaving sold at craft stores works to weave up a tight box that is sturdy enough to protect fry while leaving them in the main tank. Ugly as sin but works for breeding.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I use egg crate for dividers if needed, u can always cover the egg crate with window screen to prevent fry from going back and forth
Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Mostlydave
Algae Grower

Default Tank divider questions

I've seen Poret foam used as a divider, I've never tried it but if I had to divide a tank that's what I would use
Mostlydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

Yeah the divider is definatly bogus. I was thinking about the foam but don't know where to get it from. Or the egg crate for that matter.

I used the plastic mesh before when I had guppies but decided to throw them all out because betas need more room for grow out that's why I decided to try the divider. Definatly a huge mistake.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You can try to get the craft mesh from a craft store/walmart/online, you can melt pieces or tie with string/fishing line together to form a size appropriate to your tank or use one of the cheap poster board picture frames - they have the clear plastic protective cover, take it off and cut it to size since they should be large enough. Get book report binders and use them to hold in place on the side of your tank, if you have issues because it is so large a paper clip rearranged in size will hold the top of it snug to the top and side to keep it from moving.

DIY dividers are pretty easy to make for smaller tanks, little more work for a larger tank. DIY also holds up much better than the purchased dividers, they wear out and don't last at all. Somehow the dividers we ordered wore through, literally got holes in them and one of bettas got through and beat the crap out of my other betta.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Mostlydave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Yeah the divider is definatly bogus. I was thinking about the foam but don't know where to get it from. Or the egg crate for that matter.

I used the plastic mesh before when I had guppies but decided to throw them all out because betas need more room for grow out that's why I decided to try the divider. Definatly a huge mistake.
You can get any kind of Poret you want here: http://www.swisstropicals.com
Mostlydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I used the Plastic Blue pieces and then used Plastic canvas in their place. The holes are tiny for the fry, but not for the adults to get through.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
RusselltheShihTzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)

Don't know if either of these will work, but I've:

1. Put moss between the wall and the divider;
2. Slid tubing down the length of the divider and across the top to make a tighter fit.
RusselltheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

I've used bits of foam (usually the polyurethane stuff sold in craft/sewing stores) to serve as a compressible area in other projects for tanks, but usually just to fill gaps, although it should work for compression-fitting something as well?

angelsplus also has poret foam.

Otherwise, you may be able to build something out of eggrate and plastic canvas or petscreen or something to fit.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote