Opinions on Pros & Cons of HOB filters in planted tanks? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #31
edstewart5
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just switched from a Fluval C4 HOB filter to a canister and I already like it better. Absolutely no noise I can hear (it's a bedroom tank), the flow is better throughout the tank and it looks less cluttered inside. Plus, the room for customization is nice!
edstewart5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #32
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which one did you get? I like Ehiem , but Fluvals are good as well. I find the Fluvals have better flow. The down side to canisters are that they are harder to clean & a lot of folks put off cleaning them because they are more involved.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
edstewart5
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
Which one did you get? I like Ehiem , but Fluvals are good as well. I find the Fluvals have better flow. The down side to canisters are that they are harder to clean & a lot of folks put off cleaning them because they are more involved.
I went the cheap way with the sunsun due to the UV sterilizer integrated with it also. Everything feels extremely sturdy besides the handles on the media baskets and the plastics for intake/output.

Honestly, I think the canister will be easier than the HOB. I had to take the HOB off the back and take it apart piece by piece to clean it if it got really messy. The canister I just close the tubing, disconnect intake/output from filter and open it up.
edstewart5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really feel any canister if cleaned properly will be much more involved than a HOB filter. Between the long tubing that needs to be cleaned with a long wire brush not to mention the head, & fittings should be cleaned along with the impella , media baskets sponges , there is just way more work & surface area to clean & be concerned about killing your beneficial bacteria.
I would say it takes me 3-4 times longer to clean a canister. Especially trying to make the bacteria stay alive. I watch the temperature , & aeration while cleaning the filter which you would need to do with HOB filters anyway.
The HOB filter would get the edge in ease of cleaning compared to canisters. But thats the least of the concerns to me .
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote