My cheap lily pipes are leaking!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
tchiseen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My cheap lily pipes are leaking!

Hi! I got a set of cheapo lily pipes from eBay and they arrived today! I have the 12/16 mm eheim tubing as well as 1/2"/5/8" clear tubing from my local hardware store. The issue is that the glass is too narrow and the fit is not tight enough! I hooked it all up and it started leaking LOTS from the connection of the pipes and the tubes.

My question is , is it a bad idea to use something like super glue or the DAP all purpose silicon sealant to glue the glass to the tube?
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

1/2" ID for the out flow and 5/8" ID for the intake should be fine. Do the ehiem tubes fit the lilies? Pics and a link to the pipes might help. PM me the link, posting them here ist verboten.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (168/100%)

I would say find two pieces of vinyl tubing that fit tightly over the glass, then push the tubing that doesn't fit the glass over that first tubing.

I would not glue them permanently, because cleaning the glass tubes might be easier with the hoses removed.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
tchiseen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The ehiem tubes also do not fit the lilies.

I tried super glue and it seems to have sealed the intake fine, but the outflow still leaked. I've tried to reglue it ( was able to take the glass out ). I only let the glue sit for about 5 minutes, this time I'll let it sit a while longer and see if that makes it seal better.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

DON'T use glue!!! 1/2" ID tubing should definitely fit the pipes if they are indeed 13mm like the ebay auction claims. They might be actually 12mm pipes which would require 7/16" ID tubing or 3/8" ID if you can't find the 7/16" ID. Either way and definitely if you have to use 3/8" ID, heat the ends of the tubing in boiling water to get them to stretch over your lilies and pump barbs.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If it's really close, using a zip tie or something might help (yeah, it looks ugly). If not, just go get some tubing that is the next size down, and work it over the pipes.

I also don't think glue will do much - cyano-acrylate glues are pretty rigid, and not great for sealing things. silicone will stick to the glass and make it a pain to remove, but it won't bond to the tube (it might sorta work as a gasket, but I think you'd still need something applying pressure)

Wasserpest's suggestion should work as well, I've cobbled together quite a few gas/fluid lines using parts found under the sink/in an old cabinet, and often done something similar to get improperly-paired pieces to cooperate. Though, nothing I did was very safety-critical, and if there was a leak it wasn't going to really harm anything, just maybe waste a bit of time...

Last edited by lochaber; 11-10-2013 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: forgot about glue...
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote