mr aqua 1.5 gallon "book shelf" tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

mr aqua 1.5 gallon "book shelf" tank

anyone see this? I'm thinking about getting this for next tank

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQNC-vi.html
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Jimmyblues
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

UPDATE: This neat little tank has turned out to be ideal for raising red cherry shrimp fry as well as guppy fry. As they grow out they get transferred to larger tanks so that this nano tank can always
be used to house very small aquatic life.

I have updated the filter, since the Eheim 2211 is really too much for this tank (even though its
valve inserts do allow me to keep the water flow to a minimum.

I have instead chosen to use a Tom mini filter (45gph flow rate) which is perfect. The flow can also be controlled via a small blue plastic switch which is mounted on the front of the filter.

I am also using a Finnex Fugeray 12" light for this aquarium and a Cobalt Aquatics Mini therm 10 watt heater for the colder months of the year; a 5 watt version of this heater is used for the spring months as the temperature starts to warm up. In the summer I don't used heaters in my planted aquaria.

I have chosen Fluval shrimp stratum as the substrate since it allows for carpeting plants like dwarf hairgrass, microsword and baby tears to propagate very well using injected CO2. For those who decide that they would like such plants in their dwarf shrimp tank, I would suggest growing the plants using CO2 and then removing the injected CO2 system before adding the shrimp.

I say this since dwarf shrimp don't tolerate the types of drastic PH changes in a tank's water chemistry that is likely to occur with an injected CO2 system.

Once an aquarium's plants have carpeted, they should continue to propagate as long as the same lighting and root fertilizer is maintained - albeit, more slowly then when CO2 injection is added to the tank.

Earlier...

I have a Mr. Aqua 1.5 along with six other Mr. Aqua tanks. They're great tanks and well worth the money. The 1.5 gallon is a very small aquarium, though. I would not keep fish in it.

It's better for raising shrimp fry in. I have a 7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua that I am setting up to keep red cherry shrimp in, and I am going to use the 1.5 to house cherry shrimp fry for them to grow out. I have a Finnex Fugeray 12" 5 watt LED fixture sitting atop this tank.

Filtration will be an Eheim 2211, and a Cobalt Aquatics Mini Therm 10 watt heater. This tank is so small that you really need to think about the filtration and heaters you are going to use in advance, because most would take up far too much room in this aquarium.

If you have the space and like the Mr. Aqua bookshelf style aquariums, I would go for the larger ones. Both the 3 and 6 gallon tanks are nice. I have a 12 gallon long which is a great looking tank. However, it's three feet long, so it might be more tank than you are looking for.

Hope this info helps..

Last edited by Jimmyblues; 06-05-2014 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: updated information on my aquarium
Jimmyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyblues View Post
I have one along with six other Mr. Aqua tanks. They're great tanks and well worth them money. The 1.5 is a very small aquarium, though. I would not keep fish in it.

It's better for raising shrimp fry in. I have a 7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua that I am setting up to keep red cherry shrimp in, and I am going to use the 1.5 to house cherry shrimp fry for them to grow out. I have a Finnex Fugeray 12" 5 watt LED fixture sitting atop this tank.

Filtration will be an Eheim 2211, and a Cobalt Aquatics Mini Therm 10 watt heater. This tank is so small that you really need to think about the filtration and heaters that you are going to use in advance, because most would take up far too much room in this aquarium.

If you have the space and like the Mr. Aqua bookshelf style aquariums, I would go for the larger ones. Both the 3 and 6 are nice. I have 12 gallon long which is great looking tank. However, it's three feet long, so it might be more tank than you are looking for.

Hope this info helps..
it did help and i appreciate you sharing your experience!
i may consider getting a 6 gallon few months down the road. i had a similiarly sized 3 gallon and it was a bit too small, and i think the 12G is a bit too big.
i'm hoping/thinking 6 will be perfect!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote