slow flow out of filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

slow flow out of filter

My Eheim pro III flow has slowed down. I know that the filter and the water inside is thick brown grn. The hoses get plugged up and slow the water down with the same thick brown. The tank stays clear. I have had to rinse out the filter pads sometimes twice a month. I reduced the phosphate and the filter stayed clear longer. The flow was still bad. Does this mean I need to replace other parts in the filter to improve the flow. Or is this filter worn out?
75g, pair of gold rams , 1- 5"discus, 2oto's, 12ADF's,8 Assin snails96w 6700k-light 6hrs, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
urbach
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What media are you using in the canister? Bottom tray usually with blue filter pad which you can wash while top tray end with white filter pad which you need to change every now and then. Hose need to cut actual length with a some allowance for easy maintenance.
urbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 10yr old circle beads and some tubes with holes thru them. I use the standard pads and rinse the sludge out of them at lest once or twice a month. Helps the flow. I replace the fine filter about every 3 months. When it has become thin and limp and heavy with sediment.
75g, pair of gold rams , 1- 5"discus, 2oto's, 12ADF's,8 Assin snails96w 6700k-light 6hrs, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds like a blockage of some sort. One that I find easy to miss is out of sight. I've had one of the "macaroni" pieces get into the elbow at the bottom and hide. Forcing water back through the elbow cleared it for me. Also it is possible that the tubing is getting full of gunk and needs cleaning. I take mine off when needed and run a rag on a string through it. I tie a small wieght (screw,nut,etc) on the string to drop it through and have a pardner "saw" the rag back and forth to clean any gunk out.
Very unlikely the filter is worn out to the point of slow flow. They will get way noisy first IME.
One item often ignored is cleaning the impeller and well where it fits. I clean the well with a Q-tip to make sure the head is all cleared.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I broke the hose connect on the outside of the filter. So I will have to wait for the part. I will go through ever hose and hole and overhaul it. I know what you by impeller noise, I have none. This has the internal heater which broke just after warranty. So I will try to see if there is bypass there also.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Cleaning all of the gunk out of the tubing will make a big difference in the flow rate.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote