Favorite CO2 diffuser or micro bubble air stone
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Favorite CO2 diffuser or micro bubble air stone


Hi
What is everyone's favorite CO2 diffuser or air stone which puts out tiny bubbles the longest before needing to be replaced?

I ask this because I have a DIY C02 in my 55 gallon which works great but I seem to replace the air stone every 3 to 4 weeks and it is a bit of a pain because I keep the air stone under a piece of driftwood in the rear of tank .

Certainly not the end of the world but if I could extend the time as rather not disrupt the fish,etc that would be great.

A longer lasting air stone or a C02 diffuser which last 2 or 3 months would be nice .


Thank you
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru
 
FlyingHellFish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,885
Default

^ Cig filter in the tubing.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
^ Cig filter in the tubing.

How would I do that , I put a cig filter at the end of the tube instead of air stone ?


I am not familiar with cig filters but ofcourse I know what they are.


Thanks
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

Taifun S.Efficiency over estethics.
__________________
Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
terran2k
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 73
Default

I used one of those ceramic disc glass diffusers when I had diy co2 and it worked fine for months.
terran2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 759
Default

I use an inline atomizer. Ive used a cheap ceramic diffuser and the ADA diffusers as well. Cheap one worked just as well as the ADA 20th anniversary rip off. Great build quality though. My main issue with those diffusers is CO2 distribution. U gotta get a powerhead to blow the co2 mist around the tank. Thats why i went inline. I get the micro bubbles and i can direct it where i want the flow to go AND its 1 less piece of equipment in the tank.
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru
 
FlyingHellFish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
How would I do that , I put a cig filter at the end of the tube instead of air stone ?


I am not familiar with cig filters but ofcourse I know what they are.


Thanks
Pretty much just stick them in the tubing. Change them out every month or so. I got a video on it in my signature, and yes they're fine, its made out of cellulose.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terran2k View Post
I used one of those ceramic disc glass diffusers when I had diy co2 and it worked fine for months.

Thanks I am going to go either this route or the cig filter route which I just saw in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Pretty much just stick them in the tubing. Change them out every month or so. I got a video on it in my signature, and yes they're fine, its made out of cellulose.

I just saw your video. I thought you were pulling my leg but I see it does work, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
I use an inline atomizer. Ive used a cheap ceramic diffuser and the ADA diffusers as well. Cheap one worked just as well as the ADA 20th anniversary rip off. Great build quality though. My main issue with those diffusers is CO2 distribution. U gotta get a powerhead to blow the co2 mist around the tank. Thats why i went inline. I get the micro bubbles and i can direct it where i want the flow to go AND its 1 less piece of equipment in the tank.

Thanks , I just looked it up but it seems you need a pressurized CO2 for the inline atomizer . At least according o the reviews I read in amazon.

I only have DIY (for now) , I am going to now order a ceramic diffuser but till than going to try the cig filter , it looks interesting .

"Cheap one worked just as well as the ADA 20th anniversary rip off."

Glad you told me.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-09-2013 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Thanks , I just looked it up but it seems you need a pressurized CO2 for the inline atomizer . At least according o the reviews I read in amazon.

I only have DIY (for now) , I am going to now order a ceramic diffuser but till than going to try the cig filter , it looks interesting .

"Cheap one worked just as well as the ADA 20th anniversary rip off."

Glad you told me.
Yea, the difference in performance was possibly +20% at best. And for like $90 compared to $10? Not worth it. However, perhaps I just got a bad one? :P
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Twin lake, MI
Posts: 727
Default

Maybe I got a bad one but my DIY CO2 (2 2liters + small bubble counter) could not push through the glass/ceramic diffuser I got off [Ebay Link Removed] I have a "fine" air stone but its kinda big and usually only 2 streams of bubbles out it....the deeper in the water the less bubbles and the more sporadic (40B tank). Wood air stone produced finer bubbles for me but once saturated with water, essentially quit working due to lack of pressure.

I really wish someone could recommend something inline that DIY would work with. I think the pressure from DIY is so weak that the water pressure in tank is just to much for good distribution...and a 40B isn't really that deep. With my air stone out of the water my bubble counter goes crazy, my mix is good and I don't have any leaks. I really don't want to add more "stuff" into the tank but I'm getting close to trying one of the small in tank filters that some have modified to suck in C02, chop it up and spit it out.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012