First timer at C02
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

First timer at C02

Could anybody recommend a good C02 system for me, someone who's never used one before? DIY ain't really my kind of a thing so I was just wondering if there's any brands who make one for about 20-30 bucks?

Also if you have C02, is it true that you don't have to combat algae any longer?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Could anybody recommend a good C02 system for me, someone who's never used one before? DIY ain't really my kind of a thing so I was just wondering if there's any brands who make one for about 20-30 bucks?

Also if you have C02, is it true that you don't have to combat algae any longer?
You won't get anything good for $20-30, or anything worth your while for that matter. If you're looking for an all-in-one (bubble counter, solenoid, needle valve and regulator) you're looking at spending at least $90-$100, or you can build your own.

As for algae, inconsistent co2 is one element that contributes to algae, there are many other things that do too IME.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

And what about this?

Amazon.com: Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer: Pet Supplies
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

that's essentially a packaged DIY system from what i'm seeing.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
spinne
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
that's essentially a packaged DIY system from what i'm seeing.
That's exactly what it is. It's nice in that you don't have to mess around with sealing bottle caps and fighting leaks, but that system itself is very small I can't remember the canister's volume off-hand, but it's maybe 750 mL? It doesn't last too long. The pre-mixed packets they give you will go for a week, maybe two. (The packets are expensive, too, but it's easy enough to make your own with baking soda, sugar, and active dry yeast.)

Aside from having to make up new mix fairly often (definitely into DIY territory), I think it's just fine as a low-cost, starter CO2 system for a small tank (10 20G). It does what you want it to do in that it gets CO2 dissolved into the water for plants to use, but it may be higher maintenance than you're looking for. Also, if you have small snails (like pond or ramshorns) in your tank, they'll eventually get to climbing all over the diffusion ladder looking for algae and detritus to eat and will occasionally block the holes, leading to wasted CO2 until they move and allow the bubbles through again.

As far as algae goes, the addition of CO2 isn't a guaranteed algae cure. It may help by giving the plants more of what they need to grow, thereby allowing them to outcompete the algae for nutrients, but it's still important to maintain a balance between light, nutrients, and CO2 to prevent algal growth.
RAOK Club Member #104
Finnex Club Member #20
spinne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I use to have that in my very first 10g planted tank. It only last for MAYBE a week when you get a good mix. It smells terrible when you have to change the mix out. Only good was that it was cheap but I would say skip it and get a real pressurized setup.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

As said, that product is just a DIY CO2 kit in a box. For your price range, you can't even get a basic ASA paintball setup. I don't recommend that setup and it has the potential to be dangerous to the human using it, much less the fish. I would go on to say that I would only recommend the setup to someone who already has a good CO2 setup and understands it because they will know when some thing is very wrong but most who have a good co2 setup wouldn't use one.

As for algae, CO2 is not an algaecide. It doesn't get rid of algae. Too deep for this thread but CO2 allows for a tank less prone to algae, given that all other things are correct. In truth, CO2 can lead to far worse algae conditions in an unbalanced tank. I would actually say from my own experience that it's easier to have a tank without CO2 to not have algae. But, you may not be able to grow the same plants, or grow plants with as much color.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
etk300ex
Algae Grower

I used the hagen kit for several months in my 29g. I recommend it, its easy, cheap, compact, decent looking. I got 2 weeks out of a batch, 1/4tsp yeast 1tsp baking soda.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Wwh2694
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)

Sorry but those things are not good, u either spend a lot of money one time on a good regulator and tank or just stick with non co2 method "el natural".
Wwh2694 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Unfortunately your price range limits you to DIY (yeast etc) might as well use pop bottles and what not if your going that route.

Excuse me if im a little off here but it sounds like you wanna pay 30 bucks and have no more algae problems. CO2 or not thats not very realistic, but that would be nice wouldnt it?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
terran2k
Algae Grower

save up and buy a good system the first time.
you'll spend more money buying and replacing a bunch of cheap stuff than just purchasing a good unit once.
terran2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

+1 to that
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Also, it's actually CO2, not C02. The O is a letter representing the oxygen molecule. Pet peeve.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote