125/50 - last tank build for a while, honest - Page 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #286
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Comparison to previous lighting

BML finally arrived! It actually only took 9 days, pretty good in my books.

Some minor colour banding

Cardinal colours are much more vivid!

New view from my desk, iPhone didn't deal with new lighting too well

Fixture is really tiny compared to the old units

LED colours

Driver and dimmer

So there we have it! This tank is now in long-term mode...just growth updates from here on out. I'll probably mount the LED driver/dimmer on the back of the stand for access reasons.

Oh, and now we need to get some shrimpies.
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #287
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some thoughts on the BML unit...
  • Some of the other reviews indicated they kept the unit on the lowest dimmer setting...not sure how that would work...I can't ever see turning it down below 60-70%
  • Heatsinks get warm, but not too hot to touch
  • Overall build quality is superb - I am generally a stickler for that kind of thing - zero complaints
  • The colour banding isn't really that big of a deal, I don't really notice it now
  • The output angle I got was 90-degrees...areas near the top of the tank that don't get light are very noticeable - probably will do a suspension setup once we make a hood
  • Did I mention it's really small? My return plumbing is almost the same visual dimensions...the tank takes up less visual space up top for sure without the T5s
  • The dimmer really makes me want to get an Apex unit now to do soft on/off/weather effects

Some more on the brightness...if this unit isn't as bright as I'd imagined, it's kinda scary to think that the PAR levels BML puts out are 30-40% more than the cheaper competition! I would have been probably kinda ticked if I'd spent $200 less, but gotten barely more light than the T5HOs put out.

So yeah...excellent product, would buy again.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #288
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sweeeeeet.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #289
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice light, I am thinking of getting one myself.

Did you get the dutch? and are you at medium light?
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #290
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

rustbucket, yeah, they have an apex adapter cable - guessing it could be DIY'd, too.

I got the 13000k fish focus blue. Dimmer is set at 100%...IIRC that gives me 60-80 PAR at the bottom (80 in center, 60 at edges).
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #291
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Phil, you might enjoy this...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=4604138

Side project (haha) for the 125.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #292
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unfortunate update...the angelfish decided to be a brute yesterday, was seriously harassing the black skirt tetras (watched him do this for a good 30 minutes, probably was all day). Found one of them dead up by the overflow this evening.

I sense a 'free angelfish' thread coming up soon...
Old 11-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #293
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about the Angel my friend. Toss it in the sump?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #294
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Due to the vast field of pot scrubbies...the only open water is right near the return pumps. Pretty sure you're not suggesting I put it in there... I'm not too too sad about him going - I'm now certain he's done this once before.

The 20G is already running, so I'd pondered putting him in there until I get shrimpies. If he continues his harassment, definitely will move him.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #295
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's the 20g "refugium" right? If so, perfect place for time out.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #296
angelcraze
Algae Grower

Wow, Crazy, this is well, crazy amazing!!!

I just found this thread and have a lot of reading to do, but from what I had time to read, I am thoroughly impressed. Your mechanical plans and inclination is way beyond me at this point, but WOW!!!

A thought on your angel, couldn't find what kind it was other than mixed with gold on it (maybe) but I do find my gold marble angels to be more aggressive than other types and also more aggressive as younger (under a year and a half) than adults. I do, however, keep this strain of breeding adult angelfish in with phantom tetras with no problems than the occasions ventral fin nip amongst themselves.

I am def. subscribed to follow growth by BML fixture. Very awesome.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #297
angelcraze
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
Some thoughts on the BML unit...
[*]The output angle I got was 90-degrees...areas near the top of the tank that don't get light are very noticeable - probably will do a suspension setup once we make a hood

So yeah...excellent product, would buy again.
I am not a techie, right? What does this mean? You can see a beam (light) separation at the top corners, front and back? A tighter beam angle suspended would present the same issue then? It's a PITA to deal with a deep tank, getting light penetration to the substrate.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #298
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very generous of you, angelcraze. Interesting point about the angel...he's almost a year old at this point. Guess I'll wait it out. Think he'd calm down if we got him some friends? (same exact species, or just more angels?)

What I mean by the beam thing is that if you look down the length of the tank, you can see the 'A' shape of the light beam (tip of the A being the LED unit itself). For example when a fish swims up out of the 'A' light beam, the lack of light is very obvious...very sharp 'cutoff', if you will. It's not really a big deal...just a visual distraction to me.

With these units, the light is getting down there alright - check their site for the PAR charts. You would do a tighter beam if the light fixture was being suspended 12-24" above the water surface. Since mine is 2-3" above the surface, if I didn't have a 90-degree beam, parts of the substrate would not be lit (properly).

Uh...does that clear it up?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #299
howze01
Algae Grower

I was looking at BML for my 150g(4'x2'x30") I am setting up and the site recommended 3 of the 48" units. Are you just keeping lower light plants or have you found that the 1 unit is enough for your tank? Was thinking of going with 2 of them for my tank but if 1 is enough I would rather save $270.
howze01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #300
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howze01 View Post
I was looking at BML for my 150g(4'x2'x30") I am setting up and the site recommended 3 of the 48" units. Are you just keeping lower light plants or have you found that the 1 unit is enough for your tank? Was thinking of going with 2 of them for my tank but if 1 is enough I would rather save $270.
If he is truly getting par of 60-80 at the subtrate (unless your tank is deeper) that should be plenty for medium to medium high light. I wouldnt see why you would want more than that. The only concern I think you will have is like crazy mentioned with 1 fixture you are going to have less spread especially if you choose one of the narrower lenses.

I personally went with more "cheaper" less intense fixtures. I was able to get the same PAR values with greater spread and less $ than a BML. But BML are no doubt very good and more powerful. My tank is 24" deep

Last edited by carpalstunna; 11-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: .
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.